NGD

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Found this used P90 Studio for sale locally. I’ve wanted something like this for a long time as I think P90s sound better in a mahogany guitar than they do with a maple cap.

It sounded really cool in the store, brought it home to hear how it sounded through my amp. It sounds like rock and roll.

Previous owner must have really like it. He played it enough that his pants and shirt wore away at the finish. I’m told he was a jazz guy, and under the pick guard I found wear from playing fingerstyle.

Frets were also dressed and polished. It plays like a guitar 2-3x it’s price. Bridge upgraded to Faber with titanium saddles and an aluminium stoptail. Switch appears to have been replaced. He’s obviously spent time and money on maintaining this guitar, makes me wonder why he sold it?

It’s not a fancy guitar, but it’s previous owner left his mark and it tells a story.

sonar1

Reaction score
Perfect!
Looks like ebony board.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Love it! I have had several of the full mahogany studios - but I have never seen one with P-90s - yours looks stunning!

endial

Reaction score
Love it! I have had several of the full mahogany studios - but I have never seen one with P-90s - yours looks stunning!
Yeah, WHUT???? I've never seen one (hog top) with P-90s either. Killer looking guitar! Dang, dude. Was this an exclusive from some retailer? Lucky catch, man. :yesway:

JMP

Reaction score
Great guitar. It’s sorta like a higher end junior in my mind.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Yeah, WHUT???? I've never seen one (hog top) with P-90s either. Killer looking guitar! Dang, dude. Was this an exclusive from some retailer? Lucky catch, man. :yesway:
Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t know much about this guitar (2009 Studio) and the little bit I can find online mostly references the humbucker versions. I‘ve wanted a LP Jr for awhile but having the money + the right guitar never seemed to happen at the same time.

I didn’t actually look at it all that hard in the store and didn’t realize it’d been modded until I saw the bag of parts in the case. I’d picked it up out of boredom while I waited, said “this is apperently the lightest Les Paul ever made”, hit the strings and said, “and the loudest”. I played it for a minute, looked at the fretwork, asked how much it was and said, “Sold!”.

What I like about it is that it sounds exactly like a Les Paul, whilst sounding different from any other Les Paul. It’s like seeing the same picture through a different filter.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. Enjoy and have some fun. I bet those P90s sound wonderful too. :beer:

endial

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t know much about this guitar (2009 Studio) and the little bit I can find online mostly references the humbucker versions. I‘ve wanted a LP Jr for awhile but having the money + the right guitar never seemed to happen at the same time.

I didn’t actually look at it all that hard in the store and didn’t realize it’d been modded until I saw the bag of parts in the case. I’d picked it up out of boredom while I waited, said “this is apperently the lightest Les Paul ever made”, hit the strings and said, “and the loudest”. I played it for a minute, looked at the fretwork, asked how much it was and said, “Sold!”.

What I like about it is that it sounds exactly like a Les Paul, whilst sounding different from any other Les Paul. It’s like seeing the same picture through a different filter.
Yeah, you'll not likely let this one go. It really is unique. Not that there aren't others like it, but they sure don't pop up anywhere I've ever seen or I'd be on it like white on rice. Consider yourself very fortunate. Keepersville, baby! Rock that thing.

" I‘ve wanted a LP Jr for awhile but having the money + the right guitar never seemed to happen at the same time."
-I've been here. At this^ godforsaken place. I made up for it in spades as you can see in the sig below. Give it time and don't trade this one in for a Junior. That will happen when it's right.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
I don’t think I’d trade this for a Jr. The neck pickup has a little something‘-something‘ going on.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Here are both versions I own - but my Lord yours is a full mahogany with P=90s - a rare a beautiful Les Paul it seems for certain! Just Beautiful!

20170308_115143sm.jpg 20200803_033546sm.jpg

C Squared

Reaction score
SWEEEET Find!!!
Hog Top and P90s?!?!
Absolutely killer. Add in the upgrades and the fact that it was played and not a closet queen, absolutely awesome

endial

Reaction score
Considering the upgrades that you know of, have you checked the pickups? Not that Gibson P-90's aren't perfectly capable, but if he put that kind of money into the hardware, well... that would be the first other place I would look!

Latest Threads