NGD

stratman1969

Reaction score
This is also my first post in the My Les Paul forum as well, because, well, I purchased my first Les Paul.

It's not my first time "owning" one, I went in with a couple of members of a band I was in 20 years ago on a used Les Paul Studio. I happened to play on someone's original 1960 LP Standard and was blown away. I've always been a Fender guy, but I also have an ES-335 and the LP Studio wasn't really cutting it for me. When it came time for me to leave the band and was offered the Studio, I declined it and got my money back. In the ensuing 20 years I wrestled with the idea of getting a LP vs. what's really the difference between an LP and a 335.

Until 2020, I never considered an Epiphone, but the 2020s really impressed me when I saw the new headstock and tried a 50s and 60s Standard, but I didn't get one of those.

Last week when my family and I were on vacation in Mass, I was showing some pictures from a couple of years ago to my wife and mother in law when a picture of a LP replica that was for sale in a music store came up. My wife and mother in law said "do you want to go back and get it." I said it's probably gone but there's a couple others I've been looking at. As much as I liked the 50s & 60s Standards, The 59 Epi caught my eye and I figured it would be a better deal (case included, Burstbuckers and Gibson wiring made the choice easy). I looked at some on Reverb for my price range but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

Yesterday when I was wrapping up with work, I saw there was a used 59 at a GC nearby. I went down played it and knew I had to get it.

After restringing and some adjustments here and there, I am just completely BLOWN AWAY by the quality of this guitar and the tone of it.

tempImageTC7sXa.jpg

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! I know how you feel!

Don't mean to derail, but it would be interesting to know the story on that.
If it was a legit return window return, I would assume they'd re-sell it as new.
If it was a trade in, I'd bet somebody took a bath.

tygr1

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar!

Do the 59s have a big chunky neck like a 50s neck?

stratman1969

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar!

Do the 59s have a big chunky neck like a 50s neck?
From having tried the 50s and 60s Standards, I would say the 59 is somewhere in between. Not as chunky as the 50s and there is a little bit of a D but not as pronounced as the 60s. At least in my hand.

Latest Threads