NGD!

I Break Things

Reaction score
Ibanez S670QM in Dragon Eye Burst!

Got this about 7 hours ago. Took me awhile to setup. I've never had a guitar with a trem like this. Action was too high for my taste, and it was strung with D'Addarios - yuck! Yanked those off, put on some Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, and set the action at 1/16" on both sides.

Finish is beautiful! My crappy (rotated for whatever reason) cell phone pics don't do it justice. It's very lightweight, which is awesome, but it's not neck heavy. No issues with neck dive. Speaking of the neck, it's fantastic. Not too thick or thin, and it's super smooth. Feel and thickness are similar to the neck on my MIM, but the shape is closer to the neck on my Epi LPC. Tall frets, smooth fretboard, wide profile makes bending easy.

Now I just have to learn how these bridges work and get it to stay in tune!
20180130_144445.jpg
20180130_144451.jpg

THDNUT

Reaction score
Noice!

If you lived near me I'd show you how to set up a Floyd Rose at no charge!

I Break Things

Reaction score
Noice!

If you lived near me I'd show you how to set up a Floyd Rose at no charge!
I watched a lot of videos, and I've got it setup properly (I think). Took me awhile. The bridge sits parallel to the body and travels up and down fluidly. What's confusing me is that it's not staying in tune very well after using the trem. It comes back sharp when I pull up, and it comes back flat when I push down. I got it in tune, locked the nut, checked tuning again, and used the fine tuners to get it bang on. It just doesn't want to return to pitch after use. Any advice on this?

I Break Things

Reaction score
Finally plugged it in for a bit. The pickups are very high output, but quite clear. I like them. It works really well with my amp, Orange Crush 35RT, and a Fuzz Face.

THDNUT

Reaction score
. Any advice on this?

Sounds like you've got it set up properly if it sets level (parallel) with the body when it's at 440A.

I had a problem about 10 years ago with my brand new USA Charvel SoCal when I bought it that is similar to what you're describing. It would be sharp after I'd do a dive bomb. It turned out to be the locking nut. All the hardware was powder coated in black enamel. The thickness of the finish was such that the flat head anchor screws holding the nut to the neck (under the 3 clamps that are held with allen head screws) were sticking up a little which made it impossible to lock the 3 plain strings.

I had to get a #10 countersink reamer to ream out the 3 countersunk holes in the nut (edit: it may have been two I'm not taking the guitar apart to check :D). This removed the black powder coat in the holes. The flat head mounting screws then sat flush with the nut allowing the 3 clamps to work as they were supposed to.

Edit:
One other thing, put a tiny amount of sythetic oil (with a needle or tooth pick) on the 2 contact points of the fulcrum of the Floyd Rose. It can't hurt. :thumb:

Last edited:

I Break Things

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it set up properly if it sets level (parallel) with the body when it's at 440A.

I had a problem about 10 years ago with my brand new USA Charvel SoCal when I bought it that is similar to what you're describing. It would be sharp after I'd do a dive bomb. It turned out to be the locking nut. All the hardware was powder coated in black enamel. The thickness of the finish was such that the flat head anchor screws holding the nut to the neck (under the 3 clamps that are held with allen head screws) were sticking up a little which made it impossible to lock the 3 plain strings.

I had to get a #10 countersink reamer to ream out the 3 countersunk holes in the nut (edit: it may have been two I'm not taking the guitar apart to check :D). This removed the black powder coat in the holes. The flat head mounting screws then sat flush with the nut allowing the 3 clamps to work as they were supposed to.

Edit:
One other thing, put a tiny amount of sythetic oil (with a needle or tooth pick) on the 2 contact points of the fulcrum of the Floyd Rose. It can't hurt. :thumb:
Thanks, mate. I'm gonna see if it settles in after a few days, and I tried tuning it a little differently. I tuned it up, pulled up in the whammy bar, rinse and repeat. Hoping that will kind of set the guitar to go back in tune if I yank up on the bar. It works for my Strat, so maybe that'll do the trick here as well.

THDNUT

Reaction score
Thanks, mate. I'm gonna see if it settles in after a few days, and I tried tuning it a little differently. I tuned it up, pulled up in the whammy bar, rinse and repeat. Hoping that will kind of set the guitar to go back in tune if I yank up on the bar. It works for my Strat, so maybe that'll do the trick here as well.

Before my fix I had to yank up on the whammy to bring it back in tune.

After the fix it was right on the money. :thumb:

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
I put vasoline in the nut slots, it works. I had huge tuning stability issues on my Gibson's before, now I can play my guitars for an hour for 2-3 days in a row and they're nearly perfect in tune, most of the time they're dead on, you can buy the lip gloss vasoline for like $1.39 at Walmart, it works man. I use to put ground up graphite in there as well, but for me, I found that straight up vasoline and no graphite works the best. YMMV.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Looks nice OP. On the right guitar -like yours- I’m love quilt tops.

HNGD!
Thanks! Same here. On some guitars, they look stunning. Others, not so much. I'm quite happy with the playability as well as the looks!
:thumbs:

I Break Things

Reaction score
Yup, we talked about that, tho... Normal for a Strat with pole mags vs a hummer with a bar mag and pole pieces.
Yes, my Strat sounds much better with the pickups lowered, especially with those awesome noiseless pups you sent me! Thank you again, mate! :h5:

The pups on this Ibanez are quite high, and I like them there. It sounds awesome with lots of fuzz and gain. :headbanger: