NGD Yay !!

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK guys here is the 60's Standard I ordered. Came late last night and i had to get up for work at 3am the next morning so i didn't have alot of time to check it out my self.. Real quick thoughts ... The guitar deff did not play nearly as well as my 50's did out of the box. Frets are scratchy board is dry so i will have to address that here in a few days when i change the strings. Action was really high and intonation is a bit off. All in all i like it just needs a little love. I looked in the control cacity to see what electronics it came with. To me it seems a little cheap but it does have the cts pots so for now it's fine. The pro buckers sound fine so im not swapping pick ups out this time around. I have to leave for work so i'll post more later....

Attachments

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice!
You are going to have the longest work day of your life, while Jonsin’ to get home and see your new guitar!
Congrats!

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks purty. Hope you get her playing how you want easily enough.

Work definitely gets in the way. I've been on a call since 9:30am and I have a new 60s Gibson behind me. :mad2:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Looks purty. Hope you get her playing how you want easily enough.

Work definitely gets in the way. I've been on a call since 9:30am and I have a new 60s Gibson behind me. :mad2:

Yeah she should get along just fine. I had bought some grover locking keystones for the 50's guitar but wound up getting the right tuners for that one so ii have the locking grovers in nickel and a set of tone pro's i found slightly used in nickel for 45 bucks. To stick on the guitar when i change the string this weekend. i'll polish up the frets and oil the board. i think that will tighten her up....

ucsteve

Reaction score
Yeah man deff a good one to add to the collection!! Now i just got to keep from buying anymore guitars till atleast the end of the year :=)
i was at my buddys shop last week and i was in the middle of telling him how been a year since buying my goldtop, i havent really had an itch for a new guitar so much. like i felt pretty complete for a while. i have several LP's but the GT really hits all the mark for me and def not interested in anything. Love my 339, got my old hollowbody, like im pretty set. then...
I glance over his shoulder like...oh whats that? next thing i know im going home with an 06 Malden Jazzmaster lookin thing bah.
At least this charcter flaw is fun

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well it's the weekend and i can finally sit down and spend some time with this guitar. My first thoughts on this thing are the frets are scratchy the board is dry.. There isn't much i want to do to it. I think i''l take the strings off and deal with the scratchy frets and dry board today. i want to take the pups out and check out the top to see if this has a real maple cap or if its just veneer over a piece of maple?? Would be really cool if this top weren't veneer...

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK got the tuners installed the frets cleaned up and the board oiled. i took a peek under the pickups and it does look like it's a real top no veneer which is good....

**edit***

pictures of the locking tuners. they look gold in the pics there really nickel...

Attachments

Last edited:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Very nice looking guitar and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. It is great there is a maple cap and not just a veneer. I hope you were able to get the frets smoothed out, fretboard oiled and other adjustments worked out.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Very nice looking guitar and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. It is great there is a maple cap and not just a veneer. I hope you were able to get the frets smoothed out, fretboard oiled and other adjustments worked out.
Thx man!! Some times i feel like i'm being a pain in the ass posting all this... I also took a peek at my 50's with the gold top and it appears that even though the guitar has a solid color the guitar has a solid cap on it no veneer.

I'm waiting on my bridge pieces to put the strings back on. But yeah the board oiled up nice it is darker then the 50's standard i just got. I only used some steel whool on the frets. I went over all the frets hopefully that solves the scratchy feeling.I'm going to put another coat of oil on the fret board today and go ove the frets one more time....

Attachments

Last edited:

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK got the tuners installed the frets cleaned up and the board oiled. i took a peek under the pickups and it does look like it's a real top no veneer which is good....

**edit***

pictures of the locking tuners. they look gold in the pics there really nickel...
I would imagine it’s still got a veneer. You aren’t going to get solid, bookmatched flame maple on a $600 Guitar.

ucsteve

Reaction score
I would imagine it’s still got a veneer. You aren’t going to get solid, bookmatched flame maple on a $600 Guitar.
id be inclined to agree. especially since they list in as such in the spec.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Done 01.jpg

OK she's done! just got to string her up. all i did was add a better pick plate grover locking tuners in nickel and tone pro bridge system also in nickel. i wasn't too excited about the color nor the burst but i didn't want another blk guitar thats damm near impossible to keep clean. To be honest the guitar looks pretty good :=)

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ran across this last night. I don't think so either...
That’s not a representative example.

My gut says there IS a big hunk of ugly maple under the veneer. At least my top looks to be a lighter colored wood, in the vein of maple, so of that I have no doubt.

I just feel it’s not cost effective at this price for it to have anything other than a veneer over it considering the “flame” on a lot of these, mine included.

Latest Threads