NGD - Yamaha Studio Lord SL550S - Tobacco Burst

zeneffect

Reaction score
Whatever. unimpressed. the "push" tone pots both arrived busted so ill have to source some metric [email protected]$$ pots because holy jeez... no wonder 90% of them dont have the split coils.

see that tiny z looking wire thing? that is what is not where it should be and causing the push pots to fail (notice i keep saying push and not push/pull)

Overall... not a bad guitar to be completely honest. Just not my cup of tea and the pots kind of put a damper of well... all of it. I'll give this another once over when some parts arrive and i just outright replace these pots. Looking at them, it will only happen again and new pots should be just fine. They are Noble 300K if anyone was wondering.

Last edited:

zeneffect

Reaction score
Top has some peek a boo flame on one side, some Birdseye on the other and mostly looks like a plain top. Guess they tried catering to all crowds on this one.

The mineral streaking is pretty cool though.

Will inspect the hardware further once I cut the strings off. Tailpiece feels zinc to me by the feel of the metal but won't know for certain until strings. This guitar has definitely never been tampered with.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I've seen many in much worse shape I gotta say. Yours looks pretty clean in your pics.

Congrats

greens

Reaction score
I'd be tearing that crap out anyway. Then reaming the holes and putting some quality non metric pots in.

zeneffect

Reaction score
replacement tone pots should arrive today. unsure if I will install them or attempt to repair the originals without desoldering. If I'm desoldering, they are getting replaced with push/pull pots rather than latching push.

pickups have no markings at all on the bottom, routes look pretty clean. So far, its a pretty well built guitar.

tailpiece is definitely NOT aluminum.

Last edited:

BadMongo

Reaction score
Three piece maple neck or mahogany? Agathis or mahogany body? Mine arrived with a dead coil on the bridge pickup that I had to rewind, both pickups measured under 7k but sound great in mine.

zeneffect

Reaction score
Mahogany neck agathis body. Doing some soldering and setup today then will see how it sounds. Been on the bench waiting on parts.

zeneffect

Reaction score
This guitar is not for me. Sure is a fast neck but the fretboard is a little too flat for me to jump from one of my regular players to this guitar. Sounds pretty good, a touch weak in single coil but who wants to play a les paul style guitar with single coils anyways?

Doesn't sound like any of my other single cuts that. Not bad, just different. Has its own tonal character in comparison is all.

Latest Threads