NGD X2 - 2017 Tribute T & 2014 LPJ

caustic69

Reaction score
Well, after hanging around on the site more lately and really jonesing for a new Les Paul and after following several of the 2017 LP threads including Mondoslugs GT thread, I decided to pick one up. Well a couple actually.
First is the 2017 Tribute T in honey burst. I just love the look of a plain top and a satin finish so this is right up my alley. I actually played a few in a couple of different stores before picking this one. It plays, feels and sounds awesome! It even has a nice smell to it (as I think someone else mentioned on here somewhere). I did have to ditch the pickguard andthe knobs. I much prefer the Amber knobs. Anyway, I love it,

LPT.jpg

P2060684.jpg

Then a few days later this 2014 LPJ showed up in the used section of the local GC. I was immediately drawn to the look and the satin hardware so I played it for a bit. Now the LPJ has a 50's rounded neck as opposed to the 60's slim and as I mentioned in Mondoslugs thread I prefer the slim....but my Epi Trad Pro has a beefier neck and I am used to it so. Well I just kept thinking about the LPJ. It stayed at the store for over a week. I figured it would be gone as they had a pretty good price on it and it is in excellent shape. Well, I went back and it was still there and I played it again and decided I couldn't pass it up. It plays and sounds so good and I'm fine with the neck. I think I prefer the 490's on the Tribute a little over the 61' Zebras but they are good too. I got rid of the poker chip, the black pickup rings and the knobs and went with cream rings and amber knobs again.

P2060687.jpg
P2060688.jpg

Are there many player's here that play both the 60's slim and the 50's round? It seems like most are one or the other.
Anyway, I love both of these Les Pauls!

P-90GoldTop

Reaction score
Congrats. I used to have a 14 LPJ and just bought a 17 Tribute Sunday. Neck profiles are hugely different between those two. My LPJ neck was on the fat side of the 50's necks I've owned. The Tribute is definitely a slim profile. It's a little slimmer than I like but still comfortable.

Bad.Seed

Reaction score
Very nice pick ups. I had a 2014 LPJ just like yours and still regret getting rid of it. I liked the 61 zebras enought o keep them in there, but they were a bit on the thin side. They reacted we with thicker strings and e flat tuning though.

As far as the 2017 Tribute T, I'm almost 100% on picking one up this weekend. It all depends on if I can get Guitar Center to give me a discount on a new one in store or not. Yours looks amazing, dig the amber knobs!

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Very nice :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

bwillard

Reaction score
I have guitars with both '50s and '60s necks. I like them both. Congratulations!!!

caustic69

Reaction score
Congrats. I used to have a 14 LPJ and just bought a 17 Tribute Sunday. Neck profiles are hugely different between those two. My LPJ neck was on the fat side of the 50's necks I've owned. The Tribute is definitely a slim profile. It's a little slimmer than I like but still comfortable.

yeah I agree, it is slim but very comfortable. I think you just have to play them to get a feel and see if you like it. I went through a few before picking mine. They were all nice but the setup seemed to vary. The one I picked was not a floor model, it was straight out of the box to my hands and played and sounded great right off the bat.

That's the benefit of being able to play before you buy, which isn't always possible.

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Happy NGD! Happy NGD!!!

(See what I did there?)

But seriously, Happy New Guitar(s) Day. Those are a couple of great Les Pauls. Rock on!

caustic69

Reaction score
Happy NGD! Happy NGD!!!

(See what I did there?)

But seriously, Happy New Guitar(s) Day. Those are a couple of great Les Pauls. Rock on!

Thanks, I am historically a strat and strat type guy and I have never been more jazzed to be playing a Les Paul or Les Pauls. Very inspiring to play!

Latest Threads