NGD: Wolfgang Standard

hbucker

Reaction score
Just got my almost new Wolfgang Standard yesterday and have some initial thoughts.

- Impressive guitar. "For the price" would seem to diminish the quality. It's a great sounding/feeling guitar. Just not fancy.

- Fit and finish is fine. No issues. Previous owner had it 3 weeks and didn't like it. Probably because he had it set up to float: shimmed neck, raised bridge. Even unscrewed the pickups so they would sit closer to the strings, which were raised. Once I set it up as designed, it all felt right.

- It's got a baked maple neck, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of. It's very dark. (think: rosewood dark) So dark that the black, side fret markers are a little hard to see. Dare I say, on a dark stage they would be invisible. Not sure I like the look as much as plain maple either. Feels good though.

- It's a great neck. Feels awesome and the rolled edges mesh with the frets perfectly. Not even a hint of fret sprout.

- Tone is big and harmonic. Very EVH - like.

- I once owned a PV Wolfgang Special, which was virtually the same model as this one. But this has arm and belly contours, which is an improvement. Both necks are great, but very different feeling. I like the current EVH pickups better than the PV pickups, which were too hot and too big sounding, IMO. I still own a PV Wolf Standard hardtail and this is my take on those pickups too. Good, but just a little too much, IMO. As expected, the pickups clean up amazingly with the volume pot. Lots of different tones in there with just a twist of the knob.

- Yes, the Floyd is a Special. I used it pretty hard last night and it stayed in tune just fine. Will easily replace the block with brass and the saddles with OFR saddles for much less than the cost of a complete OFR and I'm sure I'll be satisfied with that.

Over all, I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces. For not much $$ it's a great guitar that was meant to be played.

Reactions: tzd

tzd

Reaction score
Love the Wolfgang! That Bournes volume pot is the best Volume pot I've used. Big mistake of the previous owner trying to make it float. His loss, your gain!

Now let's have some pics!

hbucker

Reaction score
My switch was wired the traditional way, not the EVH - up for bridge, down for neck. Easy fix. I opened up the cavity and turned the switch the opposite direction. :thumbs: No rewiring necessary.

FWIW: Playing the intro to Mean Streets can be difficult to do without knocking the switch upward. I suspect this may be the reason he had it wired/turned this way. fwiw

tzd

Reaction score
My 2018 Wolfgang Special also has the switch the right way round. Yeah he switch it around to allow for tapping.

Latest Threads