NGD!!! Vintage SG Conent :D

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well this is the wierdest thing. I certainly didn't have any plans on buying a guitar today but then it happened. You know how sometimes your just in the exact right place at the exact right time and something happens almost as if it was just meant to be? Well thats kind of what happened tonight after work.

This morning I was digging through some stuff and found a bunch of old vintage pedals I totally forgot about. So after work I headed over to Guitar Showcase to see if they had the right AC adapters (1/8") for my Electro Harmonix Big Muff and a Soul Preacher I didn't even know I owned.

I walk in and theres a kid behind the counter on the other side of the store playing an old SG Special. He gets up and walks over and asks "can I help you with anything?". I said "What do you have there, and is Dan in?" (the manager and looooong time friend). He says "yeah he's in the amp room." So I play it cool and I walk over there.

So I find him and say hi and ask him "Whats the deal with that SG Special?".
He tells me a guy just brought it in for consignment last night. Its had a pretty ugly refin done, they put Schallers on it and pulled the Meastro off it. But on the good side its got no breaks/repairs, all the electronics are original and its a great player piece and a really good candidate for a restoration job.

So this peaked my interest as I love my 64 JR (see the refret thread) and I've always wanted a 60's Special. So I ask him what the best he can do on it is. He tells me its on consignment and he can't budge but the guy wanted $1600 and he told the guy its clearly a player piece not a collector piece and if he wanted it to move it quick he should half that. So I told him ok, get me a chord and let me play it for a bit, you may have a sale.

Well, I played it through a Night Train and it sounded great, the frets are a little low on this one too but not nearly as low as my JR. So I said F*** IT. RIGHT ME UP, I'LL TAKE IT!!! And for $800 measly bucks I am now the proud owner of a 67 SG Special!!!

Its clearly a pure player thanks to some dumbass stripping the finish and varnishing it (EEEEEEEEK!!!) but this is gonna be a cool project. Definitely gonna strip it and have my tech give it a proper nitro refinish. Thinking about going polaris white maybe. We'll see. Anyways, here she is :D

1967GibsonSGSpecialpic5.jpg

1967GibsonSGSpecialpic3.jpg

1967GibsonSGSpecialpic7.jpg

1967GibsonSGSpecialpic8.jpg

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Looks yummy. Congrats for owning a piece of history :)

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looks yummy. Congrats for owning a piece of history :)

Thanks. I'm planning to restore it and it will be my #3 main player right behind my R9 and R7. I have decided to name her Sandy because the dumb*** that did the finish "work" clearly sanded it and did a horrible job. Corny I know but it fits lol.

I'm on my way to my tech's place in a little bit here to see what he thinks can be done finish wise. I'm a little concerned that when the finish was stripped and the guitar was sanded some of the nice sharp definition of the beveled contours may have been smoothed out just a little. I really want to see what can be done to re-sharpen them for lack of a better term . Nothing major just to restore the definition a little like I see in most pics of 67's.

Underliner6

Reaction score
Very Nice! I cant believe you can geta 60's SG for 800 bucks now! Wow:shock:

BMS

Reaction score
aniGif607.gif

Great price on a nice vintage! Congrats on that one.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very Nice! I cant believe you can geta 60's SG for 800 bucks now! Wow:shock:

I would say this was more of a fluke than anything and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Also keep in mind this guitar is an "issues" guitar. Some idiot thought it would be a great idea to varnish it. They also pulled the meastro trem and put Schaller tuners on it. No breaks/cracks, repairs, routes or changed electronics though so its a good restoration candidate.

TheJrAce

Reaction score
Great score man. I'd be playing who songs all day if I had bought that.

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Update:
I brought it over to my tech to check out yesterday to talk about what should be done with this.

We both agreed this could be a REALLY cool player and since any collector value has pretty much been destroyed already anyways I might as well worry about making it play the absolute best it possibly can first and foremost, then worry about the finish and making it look good later. Another concern is keeping the balance between fixing this thing up and making it a happy guitar and not dumping more into it than its worth.

So it already plays nice but the frets are low and that is affecting it's playability. A refret would make it play like butter. If it were a collector guitar I'd leave them for now but since playability is the main concern with this one I said ok, lets do it. I need to make sure that won't have any affect on the neck binding though because its REALLY thin, like surprisingly thin. I didn't think of that till after I had already left his place so I'll have to ask him next week.

I'm also thinking about maybee swapping the Schallers for some Grovers but not sure as that would probably mean plugging another set of screw holes and re-drilling for the Grovers ( I think? not sure). I would really prefer Grovers though so we'll see, I hadn't mentioned that to him yesterday so again I'll ask him next week.

Thought briefly about puting a Maestro back on and then quickly decided to leave it off. My JR has it and I think going with just the wrap over plays better.

As for the finish he told me straight out its going to be tricky. The problem is there is no way to really know for sure until he strips it. He's concerened because the varnish job was home done and he (and I) doubts very highly that any pore filler was used so it has most likely seeped way down into all the pores and will be dificult to get out. He wants to keep any sanding down to a minimum and so do I.

He also said that because of the pore problem it may be best to get the majority off and whatever would need a lot of sanding to get off should just be left. That causes another issue though.... shooting a translucent finish like the original cherry red may not work so well because the remaining varnish may not react well with it and it may not look right.

He recomended an opaic color and asked what I thought about black. I would rather stick to colors that would have been available as a custom option though and that is obviously pretty limitting. I mentioned Polaris White and he said that was a possibilty but that white can be difficult for other reasons. Later in the day the thought occured to me that I have seen a couple vintage SG's in Pelham Blue so that might be an option. I can't say I've ever seen a 67 Special in that color though, mostly early 60's JR's and Melody Maker SG's.

If anyone has any knowledge of any other custom colors that were offered in 67 for an SG please let me know. I want o stick to colors that could be ordered as a factory option.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Kevin, wise choice. I really never gave a damn about collector value. I buy ALL my guitars to play them, and I demand that they ALL play like butter.
I will do anything to them to make them play as such (new nut, new frets, plek job, neck reset, ... anything of THIS sort).
I always thought that once I bought the guitar, it will have to play like I say. That, or it's money thrown in the toilet anyway...

RobP

Reaction score
+1 Good advice SoloDallas...at the end of the day, these guitars were made for :jam:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I would refinish it in white, and then heavy relic the finish

marantz1300

Reaction score
Thats a great score.I'd leave it as it is,it looks fantastic already.I'd never cover that grain up.

Latest Threads