NGD: untouched 2001 '59 Historic Reissue

Mockbel

Reaction score
Absolute beauty... and having an untouched 2001 guitar in 2018 is just a kind of craziness !!

Congratulations man... :thumbs:

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Nobody mentions the beautiful streaky fretboard? It's a beauty! Maybe oil it up a bit.
Everything about this axe just works, congrats!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you like the way the harness sounds and functions, I would leave it alone. No harm in swapping knobs, though.

Congrats on a great-looking R9!

Haprom

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Wood Year. Killer Color! Awesome Axe, Good Luck with it...

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Superb! When it sounds great as it is I won't change a thing. We like to believe in adding magic elixirs when the magic is already present.

The figured fretboard looks great! Madagascar, probably. Fret Doctor it or MusicNomad F-One oil it...sparingly. It does not need a drenching.

Play it in good health. No harm in changing the knobs. I will leave the rest of it alone.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
There's nothing of value in that stock harness, I would gut the entire thing in favor of a Creamtone Harness. I would pickup some of his aged knobs too.
Nothing of value in that stock harness? How about the OP just finding that it sounds great as it is? I question your nothing of value proposition, just because it is stock and has no fancy names. If the OP finds it unsatisfactory, yeah, sure, try changing the harness. That is not the case here. He likes what he hears. Great sounding is great sounding, no matter what it says on the tin. Don't go with what you see. Go with what you hear.

Great sounding and Alive is all anyone could ask for in a Les Paul.

IMHO.

*Apologies in advance if it comes across as being antagonistic. Not meant that way at all. I do question the automatic response to hopping stock Gibson parts up with aftermarket parts when I opine is not necessary.

Last edited:

guitarded_82

Reaction score
2001 r9 is a magic guitar. Is that a lower sn for the yr? I have 9 183x

mono

Reaction score
4.2kg is not heavy by most peoples standards by the way.

Leave it as is if it sounds good to you. Throwing money at it with magical harnesses etc will do less than you imagine.

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a real beauty and the weight is good. Some of the best ones I've owned/played fall right above 9 lbs.

joff

Reaction score
So, you found yourself a nice case for it...looks great!

Btw, try weighing the guitar with a good set of digital kitchen scales, as bathroom scales might not be accurate.

joff

Reaction score
[/QUOTE] Here's an update: I won't change anything on this guitar, because it sounds great all stock. I am only thinking about writing somewhere my name in case it gets stolen. [/QUOTE]

2319f281d320ebc18132a0eaa119abb4.JPG
[/QUOTE]

guitarded_82

Reaction score
I have a 2001 r9, I'm obsessed with it still and I bought it in 2005.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Write your name and number on a small piece of tape and put it under the plastic circle cover

Latest Threads