NGD (unexpectedly x2) - Ibanez RG Shredder Content

socialhero

Reaction score
Recently I fell down an Ibanez rabbit hole. I had a beat to shit RG570 when I was much younger that I stupidly sold away. I didn’t like the middle pickup - back then I lusted after the RG520, the dual HB model. I haven’t really thought about Ibanez guitars in many years, but lately I've been listening to a lot of old Dream Theater stuff and I started looking around for RG520s to see what they were going for.

Last month I stumbled on one in silver with a Bareknuckle Abraxis set installed. The asking price was about what a set of those pickups new would cost, and it came with a tweed case and the original pickups as well. I figured if I didn’t dig it I would definitely be able to recoup my investment - all the other listings for 520s were in the $500-600 range. So I grabbed it; it plays awesome and it sounds killer. I really dig these pickups. I’ve been practicing with it at home quite a bit. The wizard neck took some re-acclimation, but it’s fast as hell and the frets are huge, which I really like.

A6D34604-8D21-4B46-A1F9-0DB7C3D1D277.jpeg

6578565D-6564-4572-8C67-0C8507C85955.jpeg

518A78DA-8AEA-46CE-B129-FAC2F45ED368.jpeg

Still, I kept thinking about the mahogany/sapele top blue quilted version of the same model they made back in the late nineties. The silver one was cool but when I was a kid that blue quilt top was one I used to dream about.

I also figured out how to set up alerts on Reverb so when new listings come up with certain key words, they’ll email you (this has proven to be a thoroughly fucking dangerous thing). So one day a few weeks back, this shows up in my Reverb alerts:

FBCAA2D7-94D6-420C-89E9-0F8A0F6B500E.jpeg

So what to do? Buy it, of course. Now I started hunting for ways to build it up. More alerts.

First, this:

DED52B7B-FD8D-4C17-8B36-21C63B86272F.jpeg

A 2001 RG570. Original edge tremolo, super wizard neck, the whole enchilada. And again, it was priced right so I snagged it.

I wanted a different set of pickups though - something more modern that would handle high gain / hard rock stuff.

And then I got an email with these:

DABA5B50-0E2E-432D-8A28-D354EF4891B2.jpeg

Bareknuckle set: a Nailbomb bridge but with the ceramic magnet option (C-Bomb) and a VHII in the neck. They’re 4 conductor wiring, so I use the 5-way Ibanez super switch and get some coil splitting sounds. The seller didn’t realize the mounting holes had been enlarged at some point, so my hardware didn’t fit - that was annoying - but he seemed like a genuine dude and I’m writing it off as an honest oversight; I rigged up a way to mount them so it’s all good now. Everything else was accurate and the price was solid since they were used and the leads had been trimmed some, so I can't complain. If I had spec'd out a new set with these covers it would've been north of $300.

I tore down the RG570 and transferred most of the parts to the blue 520. Installed the new BKPs and dialed in the Floyd and the neck. This thing plays just as well as the silver one. I’m debating swapping the tone knob for a kill switch, but still undecided. I haven't had a 24 fret guitar since that old RG I had when I was a kid, it's a really nice option.

61E75807-153B-408A-BCDA-A20A42311DF4.jpeg

80E4B8CB-80F8-46DB-92EE-ADA77B369EBE.jpeg

I think these Japanese Ibanez guitars from the late 90s/early 2000s are really awesome. People sleep on ‘em sometimes, but the old Edge tremolos stay in tune for days and I find once I get used to the super thin neck again, they play really well. The all-access neck joint is also really comfortable and playing up to the 24th fret is a breeze. Anybody else have love for these?

Proof that you can still find good deals if you keep your eyes peeled. I didn’t intend on having two but the universe pushed me in that direction and I’m happy I was paying attention.

:dude:

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time, in the early 90's, I had a 1989 RG550.

I regret getting rid of that guitar …..very, very much.
Lesson learned.

K

socialhero

Reaction score
Once upon a time, in the early 90's, I had a 1989 RG550.

I regret getting rid of that guitar …..very, very much.
Lesson learned.

K
Hear that, I have 550s in my Reverb alerts too. Great guitars.

I love 'em too, though I don't currently have one. One day though..
It’s pretty rad you can still scoop up a Japanese shredder for <$400, if you keep your eyes open and jump quick.

I’ve been playing both of these a lot lately, solid guitars and they stay in tune impressively well.

:dude:

Reactions: LPG

BigTim

Reaction score
I am an RG fan too. But I splurged and bought one of the newer RG652AHM models a year or so ago. I love the finish. The edge trem is the cats meow when it comes to locking trem guitars. IMO way better than a Floyd. But you got a great deal on those too. My friend has a mid 80's PL1880 he paid like 1600 for back in 86 and his was the only Japan made Ibanez with that edge trem I had ever played. I like how his played so much and I needed a good trem so I got my RG652AHM. I am probably one of the few guys that owns one that does not shred!!! But that wizard neck is so small man.....It does take some getting used to going back and forth from my other guitars. But the quality is very nice on the Japan Ibanez guitars. Here is a pic of mine just for the heck of it,

socialhero

Reaction score
I am an RG fan too. But I splurged and bought one of the newer RG652AHM models a year or so ago. I love the finish. The edge trem is the cats meow when it comes to locking trem guitars. IMO way better than a Floyd. But you got a great deal on those too. My friend has a mid 80's PL1880 he paid like 1600 for back in 86 and his was the only Japan made Ibanez with that edge trem I had ever played. I like how his played so much and I needed a good trem so I got my RG652AHM. I am probably one of the few guys that owns one that does not shred!!! But that wizard neck is so small man.....It does take some getting used to going back and forth from my other guitars. But the quality is very nice on the Japan Ibanez guitars. Here is a pic of mine just for the heck of it,

Love it, that looks awesome.

Agree on the necks, definitely takes some getting used to. If I play my nocaster or R8 and then switch to one of these RGs it feels like a fricken toothpick. :laugh2:

Latest Threads