NGD udpate at #8 - No one, absolutely no one, talks about this FGN

Eagle X

Reaction score
Long story short, I just pulled the trigger. It's an FGN EEL-DE-7.

I've been watching and hunting this model on YJ for a while. A few months ago I bought an FGN JMY-AL-M. That was an impulsive purchase. That JMY was good. But there was nothing surprising. It feels just like early MIJ Ibanez RG series I tried nearly 20 years ago. I sold it quickly. But a higher level model, EEL-DE-7, caught my attention by the time.

This EEL has many things I just wanted for a 'metal' guitar. Mahogany body, check. Curved top, check. Matte, satin or oil finish, check. Tune-o-matic bridge, check. Active HH configucation (EMG, Duncan Blackouts or Fluence Modern, either is fine, and this one has switched from Blackouts to EMG57/66), check. 7 string as a bonus, check. Made in Japan or USA, check. And since it's one of FGN's top models, I baselessly assume its wood grade and craftsmanship might be same good as Ibanez Prestige.

The only thing I'm not sure is its neck profile. I like fat round neck and my experience with the super slim neck on my previous JMY was awful. I assume this EEL has a similar neck profile. I may try to get used to it but I'm very uncertain if I can. Once it arrives, it will be a key factor that decides I should keep it or sell it.

Interestingly it seems like no one is talking about this guitar, at least in any forum I know. And there are only three youtube vids about this guitar. I'd like to know if anyone ever tried one... and how you think about it.

Photos are provided by the seller.

2013 FGN EEL-DE-7 (3).jpg

2013 FGN EEL-DE-7 (1).jpg

Last edited:

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Thanks, I never heard of FGN.

hard to believe....

FGN is FujiGens own brand

dspelman

Reaction score
Interestingly it seems like no one is talking about this guitar, at least in any forum I know. And there are only three youtube vids about this guitar. I'd like to know if anyone ever tried one... and how you think about it.
FGN makes good stuff. But honestly, there's not much buzz about this guitar because it's essentially "Yet Another" in a vast array of these sorts of guitars. Not much special there. Not many talking points.

Lessee -- flat black superstrat with active pickups and 7 strings. What's to think about?

Eagle X

Reaction score
because it's essentially "Yet Another" in a vast array of these sorts of guitars. Not much special there.

I'm not a FGN fan cuz I'm addicted to handmade guitars, e.g. Bacchus. FGN in my opinion is an example for consistent quality CNC produced guitars.

But, I don't think this EEL is 'just another' superstrat. It's rare. Very rare. Let's face it: combining mahogany body, curved top, tune o matic bridge, HH configuration and made in Japan or USA, there isn't many other options. Could you recall one? There are quite a lot Korean made Schecter matching these specs. But as I want a MIJ, this EEL seems the only option I have. That's pity.

Last edited:

Eagle X

Reaction score
PXL_20220927_132214681.jpg

PXL_20220927_132418862.jpg

PXL_20220927_132455450.jpg

PXL_20220927_132708125.jpg

I almost sold it. When I tried it for half an hour for the first time, I was thinking, well, the neck is really too slim. I still loved that fat and flat neck on my S7G (a notorious brand, I know). So I listed it and I received a good offer in merely two days. Just before I was about to click that big blue "Accept Offer" button, I thought, why not playing it a bit more before it goes? I moved my finger away from the mouse, picked up this guitar and played it for the entire afternoon. Guess what, I was getting used to its neck profile.

Since then, nothing stops it from being my main guitar. Aside from the neck profile, the entire design and craftmanship is spotless. Indeed, there are tons of superstrat out there. But this is the one that gives me a hint of Les Paul: mahogany back, curved maple top, same piece neck-headstock, set neck, tune o matic bridge and Les Paul style switch. No one, at least no major brand I can recall, made any superstrat that has all these Les Paul ingredients. What I like most is its wooden binding and round fret edges. This is just perfect in my eyes.

Last edited:

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool guitar.

Not my style, but I admire it all the same. Really like the laminated neck.
Hey, I’m really starting to like it! :rofl:

Any pictures of the back and neck?

Glad you enjoy it.

Eagle X

Reaction score
Cool guitar.

Not my style, but I admire it all the same. Really like the laminated neck.
Hey, I’m really starting to like it! :rofl:

Any pictures of the back and neck?

Glad you enjoy it.

PXL_20220927_140227067.jpg

PXL_20220927_140133889.jpg

PXL_20220927_140031043.jpg

Thank you.

The wood grain on the neck is the straightest I've ever seen. Taking the central piece for example, there are exactly same four lines from the headstock to the heel. I didn't even notice this before you requested a photo XD

Last edited:

Latest Threads