NGD: TV Yellow Les Paul Special

rich85

Reaction score
oh yeah! So when Gibson released these in 2019 I thought they were the best sounding guitars you could buy. The Epiphone version has been on my list of guitar to get for a while but prices in Aus are just all over the place so finally found one at a good price. The best part is though it has a proper C shape neck. It has definitely had a bit more sanding than they usually have and I love it. I really don’t get along with how huge the Gibson version neck is.

I also expected to replace the P90’s but they sound great!
76022911-655B-4C7F-8911-4C418FFA451C.jpeg
DC3EB51C-6393-4A4E-8B50-FE264733537D.jpeg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Woohoo ! It is a great one.

I had one for a while and after playing with the P90's height, this is where I found their sweet spot. Bridge pole pieces at 4mm from unfretted strings, neck down at 7mm. To get the neck P90 that low, you will have to remove the foam from the bottom of the pickup. You also have to push down hard on the pickup cover as you screw it down. If not, there a good chance you'll snap those long skinny screws. Every time I lower a P90, I took the habit of pushing down on the cover as I go. Don't ask me why I know that :)

Adjusted like that, the pickup selector will give you three very different tones. Bright and sparkling bridge, smooth non-boomy clear neck and a singing middle position with an almost hollow acoustic tone. As they are now adjusted on yours, middle position must sound pretty similar to neck alone.

Epiphone P90's are amongst the best out there. I have PRS, Lollar and Tyson Tone, and the Epiphone have nothing to envy them.

Enjoy.

P90 height - 7mm X 4mm.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
oh yeah! So when Gibson released these in 2019 I thought they were the best sounding guitars you could buy. The Epiphone version has been on my list of guitar to get for a while but prices in Aus are just all over the place so finally found one at a good price. The best part is though it has a proper C shape neck. It has definitely had a bit more sanding than they usually have and I love it. I really don’t get along with how huge the Gibson version neck is.

I also expected to replace the P90’s but they sound great!
View attachment 643632 View attachment 643633

That is sweet man. Congrats!! Did they fix the grain on these? I bought one during lock down back in 2020. Damn things were so hard to find in stock too.. U notice with these newer ones they are thinning the pain a little so the grain will show through like the Gibson do? Well man they are great guitars enjoy in man!!

rich85

Reaction score
Epiphone P90's are amongst the best out there. I have PRS, Lollar and Tyson Tone, and the Epiphone have nothing to envy them.

Enjoy.

View attachment 643644

Yep! Well made P90’s are all so close to each other. I replaced my Gibson SG Junior pickup with a Lollar 50’s wind and there was zero difference and luckily it was a bit tall so I took it back.

I will try those pickup heights when I get bored too! The Bridge pickup has that top end that only a P90 has. Absolute bargain guitars really.

rich85

Reaction score
That is sweet man. Congrats!! Did they fix the grain on these? I bought one during lock down back in 2020. Damn things were so hard to find in stock too.. U notice with these newer ones they are thinning the pain a little so the grain will show through like the Gibson do? Well man they are great guitars enjoy in man!!

There isn’t grain showing through but I actually noticed the Gibson version has a lot less grain showing nowadays compared to the original 2019/2020 models. I think it’s to make a bigger difference when looking at the custom shop model which has a very see through finish.

rbraad68

Reaction score
There isn’t grain showing through but I actually noticed the Gibson version has a lot less grain showing nowadays compared to the original 2019/2020 models. I think it’s to make a bigger difference when looking at the custom shop model which has a very see through finish.
Yeah mine was a late 2020 and it was a slab of mustard!! Great finish too wasn't all poly feeling either they did a great job on these things. Neck is nice and chunky too and with the dot enlays prob the best feeling neck i owned.

Papa Legba

Reaction score
Congrats on the new guitar. This and the Les Paul Junior are both on my list of guitars to get.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Update:

Had a couple of high frets, sorted them out. Lowered the neck pickup, loving the stock P90’s

Demo with Boss Blues Driver:
Sounds good man not much you really need to do to the guitar.. Good deal man again congrats!!!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
these guitars play well above their price point.in fact im mulling selling my gibby 2016 trad pro.between the 2017 gibby GT tribute and the epi special i dont really "need" the trad pro at this point

Latest Threads