NGD: Tokai KLS165LW

tele_player

Reaction score
Delivered in California, from Japan, less than 48 hours after submitting the order on Reverb.com. Shipped via FedEx, for about $150.
Bought new from G-CLUB, arrived in perfect condition: strings loose, switch knob not installed. Tuned it up, setup is perfect, not too high, not too low, appropriate relief. One feature of this special KLS model is shallower neck angle; the tune-o-matic is visibly lower than on my other Tokai (LS198S Goldtop.)

Weight on my digital scale is 8.92 lbs.. it’s noticeably lighter than my Edwards and Tokai Goldtops. A little heavier than my 07 R8.

Haven’t played it enough to form a critical opinion beyond looks good, feels good, sounds good.

BB82DB32-50C2-4416-8E70-215684913301.jpeg

BDW60

Reaction score
And didn’t they mess slightly with the pickup positions on this model to get a brighter neck tone and fuller bridge? I thought I read that.

smk506

Reaction score
Experienced about the same shipping down here to TN, faster than I’ve ever gotten a guitar shipped from within the states. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve gotten a shipment faster from anyone besides amazon at this point.

I hope you like it as much as I do my 165. It’ll be a keeper if you do!

tele_player

Reaction score
Yes, the description of this model includes tiny changes to pickup locations.
And didn’t they mess slightly with the pickup positions on this model to get a brighter neck tone and fuller bridge? I thought I read that.

The ad says bridge pickup is 0.5mm closer to the bridge, and neck pickup is 1.0mm closer to bridge pickup. I’ll take their word for it.

Roxy13

Reaction score
FedEx is awesome for fast shipping from Japan. I've sent my latest EMS though because this time it was not only cheaper but significantly and it's sitting around in customs until who knows when lol. I was hoping to get it this week because the weather was good, but all it managed to do was get to the US.

alainguitars

Reaction score
Delivered in California, from Japan, less than 48 hours after submitting the order on Reverb.com. Shipped via FedEx, for about $150.
Bought new from G-CLUB, arrived in perfect condition: strings loose, switch knob not installed. Tuned it up, setup is perfect, not too high, not too low, appropriate relief. One feature of this special KLS model is shallower neck angle; the tune-o-matic is visibly lower than on my other Tokai (LS198S Goldtop.)

Weight on my digital scale is 8.92 lbs.. it’s noticeably lighter than my Edwards and Tokai Goldtops. A little heavier than my 07 R8.

Haven’t played it enough to form a critical opinion beyond looks good, feels good, sounds good.

View attachment 597600
Love a low bridge!.

kenhreed

Reaction score
Refreshing to read about a positive experience with shipping

tele_player

Reaction score
Update: this guitar still hasn’t left my house for a proper onstage appearance, but it is really growing on me.
The pickups are much hotter than normal for me, 8.4k bridge, 13.4k neck, but they sound real good to me. Note: I’m not a LP into Marshall rocker, more blues/country/jazz with Fender amps player.

smk506

Reaction score
Update: this guitar still hasn’t left my house for a proper onstage appearance, but it is really growing on me.
The pickups are much hotter than normal for me, 8.4k bridge, 13.4k neck, but they sound real good to me. Note: I’m not a LP into Marshall rocker, more blues/country/jazz with Fender amps player.

The stock pickups sound great in my 136f, they were not so good in my 165 :dunno:.

Same pickups, very different results.

I swapped mine out for some dimarzios and love the sound now.

1379635E-AE92-4A6D-A80D-5633331D8BAC.jpeg

Latest Threads