NGD Tokai HLS-160 Violin Finish

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, something this special deserves a thread. The photos I've taken so far kinda suck but you can tell what a visual monster this guitar is. I unboxed it in the basement, I need to get some photos with some good natural light to really do this thing justice. Before I say any more, this is one of the most kick ass single cuts I've ever played, and it's easily the most killer axe in my collection. It's got a clarity to it that really blows my mind, this thing really delivers a tone that reminds me of recordings of '50s Les Pauls. The pickups are the hs/2 or whatever they called the pickups for the Hibiki model, these things absolutely rip, they're low output but have just enough to punch the amp like you expect a humbucker to. This guitar feels and sounds right in just about every way. If you see one of these come up for sale I recommend jumping on it. I would be down to buy a second one, personally.
1 - SJgvEfM.jpg

2 - GewKx8T.jpg

3 - 3JjIW6u.jpg

big things to note about these:
  • the bridge and tailpiece sit very low
  • neck angle is very shallow compared to a modern Lester
  • pickup rings and pickguard have different plastic colors like a real burst
  • finish is super thin urethane - thinnest poly finish i've seen on a guitar in my entire life
  • top carve feels amazing
  • neck is fat but easy to play, shoulders are minimal and let you get your hand around it
  • top has a very 3d flame and looks like an incredibly pricey piece of maple. this run of guitars has amazingly well done veneers both in terms of the workmanship and the wood quality.
  • pickup spacing is tighter than a regular tokai model and the pickups are also different

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
Very nice! Tokai does a great job with their veneers. Apparently they’re super thin too which is kind of funny considering how 3d they look.

Nice score!

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Tokai does a great job with their veneers. Apparently they’re super thin too which is kind of funny considering how 3d they look.

Nice score!
I had the neck pickup off today to get it back onto the adjusting screw but honestly I was so focused on not scratching the top and also hurrying so I could play it that I didn't take a good look at the veneer thickness. I will take a good look the next time I'm under the hood. What I've heard is that these HLS models have a thicker veneer but I can't confirm or deny that.

GBLEV

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Tokai! I love the HLS neck profile and the 3.8* neck angle that allows for great low action. Mine had the best neck I've ever played. It was so comfortable when playing.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Tokai! I love the HLS neck profile and the 3.8* neck angle that allows for great low action. Mine had the best neck I've ever played. It was so comfortable when playing.
This is my new #1. Basically a perfect guitar.

Latest Threads