NGD - Thanks for everyone's input!

lanningwk

Reaction score
About a week ago, I made my first post "Help me spend my money". I think all along, I was wanting a Standard '50s but wanted to see what others thought. After getting several "go with your gut" type posts as well as many "I've had a 2019 (or newer) LP Std and it is fantastic" I pulled the trigger on one from THE MUSIC GALLERY OF HIGHLAND PARK... more on them later.

The pictures made it appear that the back and sides had some slight figuring to them. WRONG. They're incredibly figured. No photo can show how much the character of the wood changes at different angles. The pic below of the back and neck at a certain angle gives you an idea though.

As I suspected, the '50s neck is noticeably different than my '60s neck Std. but (SIN ALERT) being a strat guy, I love this profile.... like A LOT.

Lastly, in the spirit of Dickey Betts, the pickguard is gone. I hate that it made a small smudge on the top, but it's hardly noticeable. No more noticeable than the tiny hole.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

If you only read one thing on my post, read this: The Music Gallery of Highland Park was a great reverb dealer. Super quick responses, very professional, good descriptions, fast and secure shipping... all around a great experience.

lanningwk

Reaction score
Well... how embarrassing. I can't get my photos to load. It says the server can't handle the file size.... the pics aren't really all that big.

Have any of y'all ran into this problem before?

lanningwk

Reaction score
IMG_1421.jpg
IMG_1422.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1424.jpg

Azmedian

Reaction score
Well... how embarrassing. I can't get my photos to load. It says the server can't handle the file size.... the pics aren't really all that big.

Have any of y'all ran into this problem before?
I right click on image, open in Paint, goto Resize on top left then reduce 50% that usually does it for me

Shes a beaut

AJK1

Reaction score
A Les Paul without its pickguard is just an ESP/LTD

lanningwk

Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention how much I love the rosewood, too. It is very dark indeed and has some good wood grain streaks to it up close.

I knew I’d start something with the pickguard. I honestly think goldtops - of all LPs - definitely DO look better with guards, but for the past 10-15 years, my playing style has evolved into an almost 100% Knopfler finger style. Because of this, my pinky is used to resting on the body of my 04 standard, just beside the bottom right screw of the bridge pickup ring. I ran this goldtop through its paces for several hours tonight and found that I much preferred the feel without - even though I agree it looks slightly better on.

lanningwk

Reaction score
A Les Paul without its pickguard is just an ESP/LTD
Hahaha as long as she plays good I’m indifferent. If you had said something like “wow that looks worse than a BC Rich Warlock” I would’ve ran downstairs and slapped it back on immediately :)

AJK1

Reaction score
Hahaha as long as she plays good I’m indifferent. If you had said something like “wow that looks worse than a BC Rich Warlock” I would’ve ran downstairs and slapped it back on immediately :)
I like that you play with your fingers, would be good to get a sample of it !

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Gold top, im heading for an R7 after i have my 58’ Flying V built
Man there is soo many guitars i want

Mahoot

Reaction score
Nice. HNGD buddy. Pick guard on for me but a valid reason for removing it. Enjoy.

Latest Threads