NGD Taylor GS Mini Mahogany!

kmk108

Reaction score
I just got word I'm being changed from a temp employee to a full-time hire, so I decided to celebrate and stop into Chicago Music Exchange to pick up an acoustic. I already had my sights set on a GS Mini. One of my college friends has one of the original GS Minis and I instantly fell in love with it. I'm most comfortable playing electric, so this one just felt more natural than any acoustic I've played. I don't need the full sound of a full size acoustic. This one comes close enough in it's small size, and the portability is such a plus.

I found the acoustic-electrics, but I wasn't wanting one of those. I grabbed one and played around on it a little bit, but decided I didn't want one. $100 more for a feature I'll never use. I walked around the room, trying to find a non-electric and saw a single GS Mini acoustic hanging in the corner. AND IT WAS MAHOGANY! I grabbed it, played on it for about 5 minutes before taking it to the register. I always thought I liked the brightness of the sapele more, but hearing in person made a big difference. The mahogany has a top-end ring to it like the sapele, but it also has a low-end that the sapele doesn't. It's a much more full sound.

I used to own a Taylor 110, which was pretty great, but I've been playing on a cheap Yamaha for a couple years now. The GS Mini is definitely an upgrade on that. I love the feel and the sound and I couldn't be happier with it. It's been a few months since I've played an acoustic, and it feels great to get back to unplugged.
33795740994_ebbe9cd9ab_b.jpg

34638666895_14b8a08ef3_b.jpg

33795741144_74061b6109_b.jpg

33795741224_8ed8fccf5c_b.jpg

34638667045_6244299fe6_b.jpg

(p.s. I have no clue what happened to my guitar photography skills)
(p.p.s. yes, I'm missing a foam piece on the stand. I'm not a big fan of it and am looking into a different stand.)

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very nice!

I'm actually thinking about getting this mahogany one as well. I'm looking for a smaller acoustic to mostly have just to play on the couch and I'm looking at this one, the baby taylor, little martin, etc. This one is definitely bigger than the baby or martin but I've heard the low end is a lot more pronounced and makes the other ones sound like toys. I hope it's not too big for lazy couch play.

kmk108

Reaction score
Very nice!

I'm actually thinking about getting this mahogany one as well. I'm looking for a smaller acoustic to mostly have just to play on the couch and I'm looking at this one, the baby taylor, little martin, etc. This one is definitely bigger than the baby or martin but I've heard the low end is a lot more pronounced and makes the other ones sound like toys. I hope it's not too big for lazy couch play.

It's great. I'm definitely able to play it with my feet up on the couch. I always had trouble doing that with other acoustics. Part of it is the small body size and scale, but the neck feels more playable, closer to an electric than an acoustic. It's not a struggle at all. I've only played for a few hours but I have yet to find an issue for my needs. If it's purely a living room player, I'd say give it a shot.

I didn't play a Baby, mostly because I wanted a GS shape and had heard it doesn't compare in sound quality, and I didn't try the Little Martin because I'm a Taylor guy. If you have the ability, go to a shop that's got them all and play around a little. My guess is you'll pick the GS Mini, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm set acoustically but the Minis tempt me from time to time! Excellent gift to yourself!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's great. I'm definitely able to play it with my feet up on the couch. I always had trouble doing that with other acoustics. Part of it is the small body size and scale, but the neck feels more playable, closer to an electric than an acoustic. It's not a struggle at all. I've only played for a few hours but I have yet to find an issue for my needs. If it's purely a living room player, I'd say give it a shot.

I didn't play a Baby, mostly because I wanted a GS shape and had heard it doesn't compare in sound quality, and I didn't try the Little Martin because I'm a Taylor guy. If you have the ability, go to a shop that's got them all and play around a little. My guess is you'll pick the GS Mini, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Yea, I definitely plan on trying them all out, but I have a feeling whatever I get it's going to be mahogany (maybe a Baby Taylor in mahogany would be good enough), but I'm reading a ton of reviews of the GS Mini that say it makes anything else (at least at lower price points) sound like toys.

nitrodave08

Reaction score
The minis are great, I almost got one but went with the 114e because it was easier to play for me

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
CONGRATS to you!

I'm a huge and loyal Taylor fan. And I love these all mahogany acoustics. But my next acoustic will be a Martin D-15M. The perfect combination and it has been used on so many recordings. But this Taylor sure is tempting to keep handy when the urge to play arises. Play her sweet! :acoustic:

Latest Threads