NGD - Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Gary

Reaction score
Over the weekend, the wife and I were in Las Vegas. I hit up the local Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores. I was looking for a parlor sized guitar with a mahogany top.

A Taylor GS Mini (aka - Grand Symphony Miniature guitar) mahogany was much sweeter than the the spruce version and the Big Baby Taylor. For a small body, it is a loud acoustic guitar. Compared it to a Fender Hellcat but the Fender sounded dry as a cardboard box in comparison. I also test drove the new Guild Westerly Collection M-120 Acoustic in mahogany. It had a very nice tone but didn't move me. The Hellcat was in my price range and the new Guild and Taylor GS exceeded the cash in my wallet.

But at the last GC, I found a used GS Mini mahogany that looked like new. :)

There were a couple of gals in the acoustic room, a couple of young men and an older bloke all checking out acoustics. I played the guitar for a few minutes to warm it up then I dropped the tuning to DADGAD and ripped into a foot stompin' bluesy-rock thing. It was awesome! For the first time in my life, I cleared out guitar center by being the annoying wanker playing guitar. Well, I cleared out the acoustic room, as everyone seems to have left en masse. It even had the original case so I bought it.

Short scale parlor sized guitars are great for finger picking blues, ala Robert Johnson. This one is no exception. But the top! The top is stunning and flamed with a 3D look that changes with lighting. She will join my Taylor 114CE in acoustic duties. The GS has a 23.1" scale so 12-52 phosphor bronze strings feel very slinky.

IMG_3840.jpg

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a couple of them. GREAT guitars.

murmel

Reaction score
Great flame, looks pretty much like Koa.

I love GS minis. A colleague of mine says my GS mini sounds better than his full size Martin (not a premium one).

jdto

Pretend Human
Reaction score
Very nice. I have been contemplating these for a while.

Meatwad

Reaction score
Very nice indeed!:thumb:

Taylor makes great guitars, and those are no exception.

Gary

Reaction score
For a small guitar, it is amazing how loud it is. But I've never seen mahogany like that. Depending on the angle of the light, the light area will appear dark or the dark area will look light. That is why the picture color looks the reverse comparing the two sides.

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Nice, I was really considering one of those with the Koa top, ended up with Alvarez Grateful Dead 50"th anniversary model and am really enjoying that, may pick up a GS in the future though.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
definitely a picker ___ and not a strummer . when my skills get better in that area , I might just get one of these . beautiful sound __ compared to other models in similar sizes . Congrats :thumb:

EllenGtrGrl

Reaction score
Congrats! The GS Minis are great guitars. I have a GS Mini Koa, and it sounds just as killer as my Gibson J-15, so much so, that went I brought it along with me to a rehearsal for the employee Christmas band (for the third year in a row, we're going to be playing Christmas songs, at the company Christmas party), the other band members liked its sound so much, that they requested, that I play it, when we perform. The GS Minis are oh so much more than travel guitars IMO.

Here's a nice vid showing a GS Mini Mahogany in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1__824uEdzM

Latest Threads