NGD - Standard '60s, Iced Tea

fpatton

Reaction score
After many years in the "Epiphone-only" club, and after 40 years of wanting a genuine Gibson Les Paul, I finally got it in my head that if I waited until I was worthy of it, I would never own one. So for the past few months I've been perusing the local shops, online shops and Reverb for exactly the right instrument. I had narrowed it down to Standard '50s or '60s, but hadn't really been wowed by any of the instruments I seen or tried. Then yesterday I took a lunchtime field trip to a more distant Guitar Center than my local one, and hanging on the wall, spotted this:

fp-lp1.jpg

It's a 2020 Standard '60s in Iced Tea, the color was just right and the flame really stood out. It was love at first site, and best of all was discounted! I asked the salesman to take it down for me. I had brought along my Fender Mustang Micro and some earbuds for a private jam session, and ended up spending 45 minutes playing it. I couldn't believe how good it sounded, how many sounds I could get out of it, and how easy it was to play. I realized I would be taking it home.

For grins I also tried a Standard '50s model that was also on sale, and decided that I really did like the '60s neck better. Oddly, the '50s was wired incorrectly! The selector switch was going to the wrong pickups. :p

fp-lp2.jpg

fp-lp3.jpg

It's not without a couple of minor flaws, but it's perfect to me! It has the Costa Rica-made case, which seems very well built.

I did tell my wife about it that afternoon. I asked her not to roll her eyes, and she said, "I'm closing my eyes so you can't see them rolling." But she admired it appropriately and doesn't seem too put out about it. I do love my wife. :)

Cheers!

Fred

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The switch may have just spun around on the 50’s but your 60’s is beautiful.
Congratulations on your guitar and lady.

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Fred - That's a beautiful Burst! Glad you found one that checked all the boxes for you (and it was on sale - bonus!).

Also fantastic that your wife is supportive of the purchase. Sure beats sneaking around to scratch your LP itch.

Happy New Guitar Day!

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That checks all the boxes for me too. Perfect. Congrats!!!

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats!

Looks a lot like one I wanted to buy but it slipped through my fingers. I really like the iced tea burst. I followed a very similar path as you and I love my 60s Standard. I can hardly put it down.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
There is nothing quite like getting that first Les Paul. I am glad you decided to get it. You deserve it. Beautiful guitar.

speyfly

Reaction score
Awesome beauty, the Iced Tea Burst is one of the prettiest tops on a guitar,.

Congrats!

Brian N

Reaction score
I stared at those pickups for way too long thinking "what the heck is wrong with them?" Then I realized it's just the reflection of the ceiling :rofl:

The iced tea burst is the nicest one IMHO.

Latest Threads