NGD - Standard 50s

CyFan

Reaction score
Very nice! Got one and LOVE the hell out of it!

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Thanks!

It’s a 2021, Costa Rican case.

Have to say; I much prefer this handle type to the other style (which I have for the 60s). It’s more comfortable in my hand, and looks better IMO, but opinions are just that…

Interestingly, the newer case is a very snug fit when closing the lid. It doesn’t lie flat until it’s latched.

Don’t think it’ll cause any issues, though it does seem to be resting on the bridge more than my other case does. Any advice to the contrary would be interesting.
I don't have personal knowledge of the new cases but noticed the difference. It also seems to look different on the bottom than the others I've seen. Maybe it was in transition or something. As far as the snug fit goes, I've seen people complain the other version is too loose. Hopefully yours will loosen up a little and fit properly.

Milsco

Reaction score
I don't have personal knowledge of the new cases but noticed the difference. It also seems to look different on the bottom than the others I've seen. Maybe it was in transition or something. As far as the snug fit goes, I've seen people complain the other version is too loose. Hopefully yours will loosen up a little and fit properly.
Interesting. Different how? Are you referring to the cases with the additional stitching band on the bottom edge?

DaveSG

Reaction score
Thank you. When I saw it online I clicked buy right away. I’ve been waiting months for a 50s cherry sunburst with a top I loved.

The fit, finish and playability of it is great too. Gibson did a great job on this one!

Me too. When I saw mine online, that was it. And it doesn't disappoint! VERY nice pick up on your end, and that chevron-topped 60s (50s?) isn't too shabby either!

Milsco

Reaction score
Me too. When I saw mine online, that was it. And it doesn't disappoint! VERY nice pick up on your end, and that chevron-topped 60s (50s?) isn't too shabby either!
Thank you!

It’s a 60s in Iced Tea.

mjross

Reaction score
Interesting. Different how? Are you referring to the cases with the additional stitching band on the bottom edge?
Gibson appears to have changed the Les Paul case between 2020 and 2021. My 2020 Standard Gold Top has the square latches with a briefcase style handle and the guitar fits pretty snug. I’ve noticed that the 2021 cases have the old style padded handle and some say the guitar fits loose in the case. The 2020 cases are built like a tank and heavy as hell!

Milsco

Reaction score
Seems like they are consistently inconsistent; my 2021 case fits very snug, while my 2020 is looser (wouldn’t call it loose, just a bit, relative to the newer one).

My 2020 case also creaks a lot when handling it, and the 2021 doesn’t.

Both cases seem well built though. I’ve had worse cases in the past.

Latest Threads