NGD - Standard 50's

Brianlps

Reaction score
Got a nice deal on a "blemished" Standard 50's. Looks like someone just returned it after trying and failing to do a proper setup so their loss is my good fortune as with a couple of adjustments it plays absolutely beautifully. I'm very impressed with what Epiphone has done with the "Inspired by Gibson" models. I have the TV Yellow Special as well and it's a fantastic guitar as well. Until recently I owned a '97 Gibson Standard and out of the box I'm more impressed with the Epiphone. Better pickups, correct pot values, 50's wiring, fatter but comfortable neck. The bridge pickup is a little weak but I haven't adjusted it (seems my precision screwdriver walked off).
smaller les paul.jpg

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are awesome guitars. I’ve modified a few things but that doesn’t take away from how well they come in stock form.

EscapedTexan

Reaction score
I'm very impressed with what Epiphone has done with the "Inspired by Gibson" models. I have the TV Yellow Special as well and it's a fantastic guitar as well.
I just ordered one of the new Epi JJN LP Custom double aged gold tops on Wed - back ordered till who knows. It's my 1st Epi so I hope it turns out to be as high quality and kick ass as the reviews I'm coming across seem to express.

I'd planned on picking up a new/ish EPI tv yellow special without delay if the JJN turned out a-ok, but you're ringing endorsement may cause me to pull the trigger sooner. Especially since my JJN LPC goldtop which comes w/ a single Seymour Duncan USA P90 is on backorder. You know.. :hmm: that tv yellow special i can probably find one local if I'm lucky. Hey, thanks for the great idea!

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on the tobacco burst. I think that's the first one of those I've seen. I like that better than mine. Congrats!

Brianlps

Reaction score
Got the pickup height adjusted and really helped the bridge. The neck looked at bit high to me and while it sounded good it was louder than the bridge. So backing it down a bit made the bridge not sound like it was thin in comparison. Sounds pretty good actually and the neck stayed very sweet sounding. Time will tell if I do anything to it, I do tend to tinker with things but for the time it's good. Best part is how it feels and there's a nice natural resonance I wasn't expecting to be honest so I'm impressed

rbraad68

Reaction score
Yeah man epiphone deff did a great job on these models. I tend to tinker with my guitars too but i will say right out of the box with only tuning the strings the guitar played amazing well.. Nice guitar man love the burst!! Congrats on the badd ass ride man enjoy that thing....

Brianlps

Reaction score
I just ordered one of the new Epi JJN LP Custom double aged gold tops on Wed - back ordered till who knows. It's my 1st Epi so I hope it turns out to be as high quality and kick ass as the reviews I'm coming across seem to express.

I'd planned on picking up a new/ish EPI tv yellow special without delay if the JJN turned out a-ok, but you're ringing endorsement may cause me to pull the trigger sooner. Especially since my JJN LPC goldtop which comes w/ a single Seymour Duncan USA P90 is on backorder. You know.. :hmm: that tv yellow special i can probably find one local if I'm lucky. Hey, thanks for the great idea!
The Specials are hard to find in stores, or anywhere in stock. I got mine from ZZounds. They were the only place I could find them without a wait. The neck is massive so that may be something to consider if you can find one to check out you might want to, just to make sure you like that. At first I thought I'd made a mistake but I'm used to the size now

north east al

Reaction score
Welcome to our club. Lovely burst. I adjusted the pickup height too, lemon oiled the neck, set of strap locks then had to contact clean the switch. SoundS sweet though through my Marshall on the edge of break up.

EscapedTexan

Reaction score
The Specials are hard to find in stores, or anywhere in stock. I got mine from ZZounds. They were the only place I could find them without a wait. The neck is massive so that may be something to consider if you can find one to check out you might want to, just to make sure you like that. At first I thought I'd made a mistake but I'm used to the size now
Yeah, found a few used on revrb -a couple new as well - and might have found some elsewhere. I'm not supposed to be buying anymore geetars, but maybe I can sneak it in, hang it on the wall and act like it's been there for years when she finally notices it, lol.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and appreciate the review, along with everyone else who shared. I’ve been looking at these new Epis. I have a couple Gibson LPs, but don’t like leaving them out, - ready to play at a moment’s notice. From what I’ve read, the 50’s Standard has Probucker 1 and 2 pu’s while the 60’s use Probucker 2 and 3. Interested in thoughts on these pickups.

Brianlps

Reaction score
I can't compare the two. But the 50's if they are the Probucker 1 and 2, I'll say the neck pickup is darn near perfect. The bridge I'm not loving. It got better after adjustment but it sounds kinda thin. OK for chords but not so great for soloing. Just my opinion.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I can't compare the two. But the 50's if they are the Probucker 1 and 2, I'll say the neck pickup is darn near perfect. The bridge I'm not loving. It got better after adjustment but it sounds kinda thin. OK for chords but not so great for soloing. Just my opinion.
i can't say i gave the pro bucker 1 an 2 a fair chance but i felt the bridge pick up was lacking a tad. wound up going with my goto pick ups the JB for the bridge and the Jazz for the neck. i couldn't be happier with my 50s either....

Latest Threads