NGD! Special DC Yella

timbraun

Reaction score
Here's that LP Special DC all done up with my tweaks:
- Grover 135N tuners (I like the leverage of the Tulip knobs, I find the little white ovals hard to tweak)
- Stainless steel bridge posts
- Gotoh light weight aluminum tail piece
- New All-parts saddles (old ones were slotted a little off)
- Tortoise shell pickguard (purely an aesthetic thing)

When I got it I was considering putting a Bigsby on it (it had one in its history) but I'm liking it as it now is! The neck pickup has a extra-great tone.

Small_20210326_1227.jpg

Small_20210326_1228.jpg

speyfly

Reaction score
Sweet Girl you have and tastefully done, I really like the slab DC's. I have an 03 TVY that I did some upgrades on, don't think I would part with it now.

Congrats!

Telechamp

Reaction score
I had one of them 2015's! It started my Double Cut addiction. I really liked those pickups and loved the light weight. I wasn't as fond of the wider neck.

One of the big attractions for this '97 is indeed the older body shape at the horns.
I've still got my 2015 LP Spec DC - I love the pickups, also. Mine is lightweight as well.

However, I agree with you guys on the old-style body shape - Why couldn't they have kept the old-style shape on this model of the 2015's?..

They kept the same body shape on the other 2015's... (LP, SG, LP Jr., etc.) :dunno:

Last edited:

timbraun

Reaction score
Where did you find that pickguard?
Amazon - it came in the mail from China, took about four weeks to arrive. For Les Paul Special Double Cut Style Guitar Pickguard Scratch Plate (4 Ply Brown Tortoise): Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

There's one little detail on it I'd like different - the top edge isn't chamfered like the original b/w/b pickguard, and two screw holes were maybe 1 mm off.

Last year I bought a WD Music pickguard for a single cut Special which was perfect, but they didn't have this model on their web site.

Latest Threads