NGD (sorta) Gibson LP Custom 2016

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
So I actually got this guitar a couple months ago, and posted a different thread about it because it arrived with busted aftermarket EMG electronics. I contemplated sending it back, but decided the price I got it for and overall condition was too good to send it back, especially since the market for these isn't great right now. It's tough to find a CS Custom for below $3k (at least for me). The seller and myself also agreed on a partial refund.

I actually got the EMG's working for a little while but I was not a big fan at all. They were noisy and just didn't feel the same as regular Gibson pick-ups.. It totally ruined a great guitar. That was until I replaced them with 496R/500T pick-ups, new 500k pots, and new caps and my goodness what a difference! The guitar sounds like a damn Custom Shop Les Paul now! I've been playing it almost everyday and loving it for over a month now. What was once considered one of the most disappointing NGD's turned into one of the best with just a few changes. Moral of the story, if you have the opportunity to make a not so great NGD situation work with a reasonable seller, it's worth the risk as long as it's an easy fix.

Red Custom 1 .jpg

Red Custom 2 .jpg
Red Custom 6.jpg
Red Custom 7.jpg
Red Custom 4.jpg

Last edited:

rogue3

Reaction score
So I actually got this guitar a couple months ago, and posted a different thread about it because it arrived with busted aftermarket EMG electronics. I contemplated sending it back, but decided the price I got it for and overall condition was too good to send it back, especially since the market for these isn't great right now. It's tough to find a CS Custom for below $3k (at least for me). The seller and myself also agreed on a partial refund.

I actually got the EMG's working for a little while but I was not a big fan at all. They were noisy and just didn't feel the same as regular Gibson pick-ups.. It totally ruined a great guitar. That was until I replaced them with 496R/500T pick-ups, new 500k pots, and new caps and my goodness what a difference! The guitar sounds like a damn Custom Shop Les Paul now! I've been playing it almost everyday and loving it for over a month now. What was once considered one of the most disappointing NGD's turned into one of the best with just a few changes. Moral of the story, if you have the opportunity to make a not so great NGD situation work with a reasonable seller, it's worth the risk as long as it's an easy fix.

View attachment 513204
View attachment 513206 View attachment 513207 View attachment 513208 View attachment 513209
I LOVE IT!!!

i have its twin in a 1990 Standard with Zebra's.Wine.Its in my sig,but very much in the backround. Beautiful finish yours has.play it in good health!...sometimes,when you polish a diamond... :dude:

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Wine red looks beautiful, you don't often see that finish.
I would put on gold covers, but that's just me
I was going to get gold covers because I thought the one black set of pick-ups with the other zebra's would look stupid but it actually looks fine. And no, I could not find a matching set of 500T/496R's LOL. A lot of places didn't have either. Is there a pick-up shortage going on or something? All the major retailers were out of both of them. I had to do some digging to get them within a reasonable timeframe.

mjross

Reaction score
Very nice, looks like a fine guitar. Congrats!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Wino amigo,.... nothing more satisfying than making a bad deal turn glorious... both for you and the seller.

Happy re-NGD :applause:

endial

Reaction score
LOOOOve, love, love me a wino!

That's a killer, man. Cover the neck pup, leave the zebra. Be a badass.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
It is interesting that the 496R/500T pickups did not get a response. These are the ceramic pickups that - to me - are very maligned often called 'metal only' or 'too harsh'. I put these pickups in my '79 SG Standard about the time these pickups first came out and never looked back. Admittedly, they do take on high gain very well with lots of harmonics, but they also do rich cleans well too. I bet that Les Paul of your sounds fabulous with them. We already know your guitar looks amazing. Well done!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that the 496R/500T pickups did not get a response. These are the ceramic pickups that - to me - are very maligned often called 'metal only' or 'too harsh'. I put these pickups in my '79 SG Standard about the time these pickups first came out and never looked back. Admittedly, they do take on high gain very well with lots of harmonics, but they also do rich cleans well too. I bet that Les Paul of your sounds fabulous with them. We already know your guitar looks amazing. Well done!

I agree about this pair of pups 496/500 as an excellent choice... I have these in a Gibson V.... they are extremely responsive to volume and tone controls.... the volume acting as a boost control,.. cleaning up nicely. And yes they can drive an amp extremely well. It’s a shame they are often written off as a “metal” only combo as they are very versatile.

zebras

Reaction score
That wine is a stunning color and i dig the one zebra pup.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I really love that guitar color and options - wow you have something very special there!

Latest Threads