Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh, I've bookmarked it. The guitar looks and sounds great in the reviews I saw. And I've never had a PRS so something "new" would be cool. The Ibanez and the PRS would both be new to me,..though I've owned and played Ibanez before I just never owned an 'S' series, but I have played them in stores.

PRS I've only played the singlecuts,..they're nice. PRS makes good stuff.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Thread Hijack!!!:cool2:

Those PRS gits are sooo nice. Since I've had mine, I can play almost nothing else. Very comfortable neck and all around. I know a lot of folks complain about their tone (or lack of) but I've never had a problem getting something I personally liked. To be fair, I wouldn't know good tone if it hit me directly in the ass. Mal, I would highly recommend it.

Sorry Spuds, great Ibanez. I'm definitely jealous.
I never understood the hate for PRS. They're really well made, and I've heard plenty that I liked the sound of. I was considering a PRS, but I wanted something more different and went with the Ibanez. Can't wait for it to get here! FedEx says that it'll be here Tuesday!
:rock:

The General

Reaction score
the waiting is the worst. I love that thin body on the Ibanez, bet it's super comfortable to play standing up. One of my future wives, Nita Strauss, plays something similar so you know it's a very capable guitar. Again, quite jealous.

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I never understood the hate for PRS. They're really well made, and I've heard plenty that I liked the sound of. I was considering a PRS, but I wanted something more different and went with the Ibanez. Can't wait for it to get here! FedEx says that it'll be here Tuesday!
:rock:
the sound of them is very much inbetween a Fender and a Gibson (by design, PRS is a smart dude),..as a result people who like 'the Fender sound' think they don't sound good, and people who like 'the Gibson sound' think they don't sound good.

Really it's what you're used to.

I admit I've listened to so much Band-Maid the past year (and she plays a PRS) I think that influenced my desire to look into them.

..I tend to think guitars sound like guitars. Can I tell them apart by hearing them? Yeah actually,..usually I can...I still dont' care. I like the sound of guitar.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Oh, I've bookmarked it. The guitar looks and sounds great in the reviews I saw. And I've never had a PRS so something "new" would be cool. The Ibanez and the PRS would both be new to me,..though I've owned and played Ibanez before I just never owned an 'S' series, but I have played them in stores.

I've been eyeballing PRS models for a while.

My unused vacation payout short list is down to either a PRS 594 singlecut, a Gretsch Tennessee Rose Player's edition, or a Bourgeois large soundhole OM cutaway. I'm pretty sure the Bourgeois is out of my reach this year, so realistically it's between the PRS and the Gretsch.

Last edited:

NewDayHappy

Reaction score
Yes, I'm really looking forward to it. I love positions 2 and 4 on a Strat, but I also love humbuckers. Best of both worlds!
That's how my strat is setup. Lil 59 in the neck, Texas Special in the middle and a JB Jr in the bridge. Position 1 is great for classic rock and roll, 2-3-4 have a real stratty sound and position 5 is warm. Could have went with a single coil in the neck, probably a Custom Shop Fat 50 but I'm not compelled to switch, it sounds just fine the way it is. Wouldn't mind a mod where I could engage the bridge and neck all at once, may be something I'll do in the future.

I Break Things

Reaction score
the waiting is the worst. I love that thin body on the Ibanez, bet it's super comfortable to play standing up. One of my future wives, Nita Strauss, plays something similar so you know it's a very capable guitar. Again, quite jealous.
The wait is both painful and exciting. I've already waited a month for the backorder, so I'm really excited that it'll be here in a few days.

I Break Things

Reaction score
the sound of them is very much inbetween a Fender and a Gibson (by design, PRS is a smart dude),..as a result people who like 'the Fender sound' think they don't sound good, and people who like 'the Gibson sound' think they don't sound good.

Really it's what you're used to.

I admit I've listened to so much Band-Maid the past year (and she plays a PRS) I think that influenced my desire to look into them.

..I tend to think guitars sound like guitars. Can I tell them apart by hearing them? Yeah actually,..usually I can...I still dont' care. I like the sound of guitar.
That makes sense, and it's probably why I like PRS. I like the Fender and Gibson sounds, so a mix of the two is fine with me. I'm in your boat. I just like the sound of a guitar. As long as it sits well in the mix and the guitarist plays stuff that fits the song, it's cool with me. :dude:

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
So I'm broke, but my folks are wildly irresponsible with cash and I'm the baby of the family. Upon learning about the CITES issues with rosewood, my folks decided they were going to get me a birthday present now - my birthday is in May. Anyways, this was put on backorder and has now shipped! It should arrive next week! Had trouble uploading the pics, so I took screenshots to upload. More pics to come when it gets here!

Special thanks to my folks and their financial irresponsibility and to Mark at Sweetwater for the awesome customer service!

View attachment 287306 View attachment 287307 View attachment 287308
I love that top. It actually looks like its on fire.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
I've had two. Both Custom 24's. I wish I could adequately describe my experience with them but I always seem to fall short. Yes the quality is terrific. The necks feel great, much like my Clapton Strats which I attribute to the finish as much as the size and shape. The bodies are thin which is one thing I didn't particularly care for but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. They didn't have the thick Les Paul sound nor did they have the nice biting Strat tone. It was somewhere in the middle and I didn't like the middle. <shrug> If I ever found one I could tolerate I'd have another in a minute.

I Break Things

Reaction score
I love that top. It actually looks like its on fire.
I know, right? I can't believe the top on it, especially being a production guitar. Hopefully it looks as nice in person. All of the S670QM's I've seen were nice, but a lot were nothing special. I was a little worried about what the top may look like since I backordered it and wasn't able to pick by serial number.

I called up Mark at Sweetwater to ask if it's possible to still pick by serial number or to request certain characteristics. Unfortunately, you can't pick with backorders, but he told me not to worry because the one reserved for me was stunning. I love the dark edges and heavy quilting. When it shipped and I got the pictures, I was just blown away. It's like they took the image of the perfect top from my mind and put it on this guitar.

It's supposed to arrive Tuesday. The waiting is getting more difficult as it gets closer to arrival. I've already been waiting since January 2.

I'll be sure to post up pics and my thoughts on sound and playability once I've had a bit of time with it!

kherman

Reaction score
Looks sweet, IBT. I'll be looking for your review and pics.

Did you see the new Nita Strauss sig model.
I believe the first woman to get a signature Ibanez model.

nita.jpg

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I really wish more of them were just dual humbucker, not 2 buckers and a single coil in the middle. There's a blackcherry/red one with 2 buckers that looks pretty nice too.

I miss the double sharkfin inlays they used to have also, but I guess that was an 80's thing.

One of these days I'll have to send my old Jem to Dave or someone who can put it back together and maybe repaint it or or something. All I have left is the body and neck. Hard to believe that guitar is probably about 22 years old and has been 'stored' for 20 of those years.

I Break Things

Reaction score
I really wish more of them were just dual humbucker, not 2 buckers and a single coil in the middle. There's a blackcherry/red one with 2 buckers that looks pretty nice too.

I miss the double sharkfin inlays they used to have also, but I guess that was an 80's thing.

One of these days I'll have to send my old Jem to Dave or someone who can put it back together and maybe repaint it or or something. All I have left is the body and neck. Hard to believe that guitar is probably about 22 years old and has been 'stored' for 20 of those years.
Just curious what you don't like about the HSH configuration. I've really come to prefer 3 pickups over 2.

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't like middle position pickups, ever. It's in the way. I always bury them on Strats. (for example),..screw them down as far as I can to get them out of the way.

On this Ibanez I was planning on just removing the middle single coil and installing a 3 way switch with new humbuckers and wires.

...I'm pretty much planning on gutting the guitar tbh. :laugh2: I just want the body, neck and bridge.

those (inf? inz?) stock Ibanez pups usually don't sound very good to my ears. So I'm going to put in some Seymor Duncans or Dimarzios.

Latest Threads