NGD: Slash series November burst. My first Gibson.

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy new year all. Very seldom post on here but always enjoy reading the threads and looking at the pictures.

I'm finally at a point in life where I can justify paying what to most folk is an obscene amount of money for a guitar. I've been playing over 20 years, nothing special, bedroom hobbyist, jamming with mates, college covers band etc. Always wrestled with the cost of a Gibson being too much, especially for someone of my ability. I lost my dad in September and came into a little bit of money, so I thought, 12 months 0% finance and a birthday/Christmas present. Life is too short right!

I've had a high end Japanese Tokai and a Korean Epi in the past, both were good particularly the Tokai, which had custom shop specs and felt like a very expensive guitar, maybe even more so than the Gibson. It played beautifully, but felt a little bit lifeless, didn't have any zing. I didn't bond with either and felt maybe the Les Paul just wasn't for me, selling both and trying a Jazzmaster for the last year or so. But my heroes all play Les Pauls and I've never been able to shake the want for one.

So here we are. Straight out the gate I have to say I'm not a 'new guitar' fan. I prefer stuff that feels played in, so the whole brand new thing didn't really woo me. The one thing that is nice is the knowledge that I'm the only person to have owned this instrument. It's not been fucked with or mistreated. That's all down to me now.

I've had it a few weeks now and while it's not a million miles away from my old Les Paul replicas, there is something different about it. It feels more alive and responsive, more acoustically resonant. It loves bending notes and really sings when you hit the sweet spots. The neck in particular feels lighter and more resonant than any guitar I've had, and I think this has a huge impact on the feel and sound of the guitar. It also has a super dark, tightly grained maple fretboard. Overall it's not super light at 9 and half pounds, but it feels good. I almost went for an Appetite burst that weighed 8.7lbs but I preferred the finish on this.

It's the first flame top I've owned and it doesn't disappoint, in lower light it really comes alive with 3D pattern and movement and also some grain visible. I frequently find myself stopping and staring at it from across the room like a lovesick pup, especially now I'm working from home in lockdown. The temptation is real.

Was it worth the extra 400 for a Slash model? Not sure, but it's definitely nicer in appearance than the standards I was seeing. I love the AAA top, the dark back and the no pickguard look. The Alnico 2 pickups sound great to my ear, but as its my first Gibson I can't really compare it to anything. I've removed the scully truss rod cover as I prefer the plain look.

Just iphone pics here so lacking detail on the top. I can get my grown up camera on it if anyone cares.

View attachment 510619

Much love x
I’m not a big Slash “sig” fan,... but this I really really like.

Nice score.:cheers:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, I hope you enjoy her for a long time.

I was looking at the Appetite Amber around Thanksgiving with all of the sales, but after playing all of the Slash models, I just did not like the bigger neck and passed on getting one. The November was my second choice, beautiful guitar you have there my friend!

laterider

Reaction score
Absolutely stellar and I'd have no problem to come up with the extra $ to get that one!

Cool part is you will be the one that breaks it in and makes it feel worn, worn in your way if that helps. I totally agree a brand new one begs to have few miles put on it to start feeling right and you get to do that!

HNGD!

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your Dad.... New LP is very nice, Congrats !!....I have a Appetite Burst myself, the pickups in these are great.

Enjoy it.

Standard 64

Reaction score
" It feels more alive and responsive" "more acoustically resonant" That is what you would call the GIBSON Les Paul SOUL!!!!! Something Epiphone will never ever ever have.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
Happy new year all. Very seldom post on here but always enjoy reading the threads and looking at the pictures.

I'm finally at a point in life where I can justify paying what to most folk is an obscene amount of money for a guitar. I've been playing over 20 years, nothing special, bedroom hobbyist, jamming with mates, college covers band etc. Always wrestled with the cost of a Gibson being too much, especially for someone of my ability. I lost my dad in September and came into a little bit of money, so I thought, 12 months 0% finance and a birthday/Christmas present. Life is too short right!

I've had a high end Japanese Tokai and a Korean Epi in the past, both were good particularly the Tokai, which had custom shop specs and felt like a very expensive guitar, maybe even more so than the Gibson. It played beautifully, but felt a little bit lifeless, didn't have any zing. I didn't bond with either and felt maybe the Les Paul just wasn't for me, selling both and trying a Jazzmaster for the last year or so. But my heroes all play Les Pauls and I've never been able to shake the want for one.

So here we are. Straight out the gate I have to say I'm not a 'new guitar' fan. I prefer stuff that feels played in, so the whole brand new thing didn't really woo me. The one thing that is nice is the knowledge that I'm the only person to have owned this instrument. It's not been fucked with or mistreated. That's all down to me now.

I've had it a few weeks now and while it's not a million miles away from my old Les Paul replicas, there is something different about it. It feels more alive and responsive, more acoustically resonant. It loves bending notes and really sings when you hit the sweet spots. The neck in particular feels lighter and more resonant than any guitar I've had, and I think this has a huge impact on the feel and sound of the guitar. It also has a super dark, tightly grained maple fretboard. Overall it's not super light at 9 and half pounds, but it feels good. I almost went for an Appetite burst that weighed 8.7lbs but I preferred the finish on this.

It's the first flame top I've owned and it doesn't disappoint, in lower light it really comes alive with 3D pattern and movement and also some grain visible. I frequently find myself stopping and staring at it from across the room like a lovesick pup, especially now I'm working from home in lockdown. The temptation is real.

Was it worth the extra 400 for a Slash model? Not sure, but it's definitely nicer in appearance than the standards I was seeing. I love the AAA top, the dark back and the no pickguard look. The Alnico 2 pickups sound great to my ear, but as its my first Gibson I can't really compare it to anything. I've removed the scully truss rod cover as I prefer the plain look.

Just iphone pics here so lacking detail on the top. I can get my grown up camera on it if anyone cares.

View attachment 510619

Much love x
Welcome to the club. These Slash 50s models seem to have narrowed that gap between Custom Shop and USA production. Congrats on a beauty.

JHall

Reaction score
Sweetness! I picked up the Appetite Amber version last week and it's totally awesome. Sorry to hear about your dad...I still have my old Takamine (which was my first "nice" guitar) that my folks bought me when my Oma died just over 20 years ago.

63147218881__39C73501-BCDD-4913-A438-DAEB89A43DC5.JPG

Lester I. Paulbenez

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. Don't torture yourself over whether you "needed" to buy an expensive guitar. They hold their value quite well, more than the vast majority of things in their price range. I've only been playing for 4 years, and I bought a nice Gibson Les Paul a couple years ago (see my profile pic). I play it every day, and just looking at it makes me happy. If you could buy it without borrowing money or using credit, all is good.

dasherf17

Reaction score

View attachment 510619

Much love x
An' a Happy New Year to you! Looky dat!! Nice!

GBLEV

Reaction score
"I frequently find myself stopping and staring at it from across the room like a lovesick pup, especially now I'm working from home in lockdown. The temptation is real. "

Just don't sleep with her and violate her and she'll treat you right!

Gitter

Reaction score
Sweetness! I picked up the Appetite Amber version last week and it's totally awesome. Sorry to hear about your dad...I still have my old Takamine (which was my first "nice" guitar) that my folks bought me when my Oma died just over 20 years ago.

View attachment 511638
Very nice! Love it! Did you happen to get that at Sweetwater? They had some darker amber finishes a couple of weeks ago and this looks like one of them. There's another thread about it.

Latest Threads