NGD: Slash series November burst. My first Gibson.

Quoitsman

Reaction score
Happy new year all. Very seldom post on here but always enjoy reading the threads and looking at the pictures.

I'm finally at a point in life where I can justify paying what to most folk is an obscene amount of money for a guitar. I've been playing over 20 years, nothing special, bedroom hobbyist, jamming with mates, college covers band etc. Always wrestled with the cost of a Gibson being too much, especially for someone of my ability. I lost my dad in September and came into a little bit of money, so I thought, 12 months 0% finance and a birthday/Christmas present. Life is too short right!

I've had a high end Japanese Tokai and a Korean Epi in the past, both were good particularly the Tokai, which had custom shop specs and felt like a very expensive guitar, maybe even more so than the Gibson. It played beautifully, but felt a little bit lifeless, didn't have any zing. I didn't bond with either and felt maybe the Les Paul just wasn't for me, selling both and trying a Jazzmaster for the last year or so. But my heroes all play Les Pauls and I've never been able to shake the want for one.

So here we are. Straight out the gate I have to say I'm not a 'new guitar' fan. I prefer stuff that feels played in, so the whole brand new thing didn't really woo me. The one thing that is nice is the knowledge that I'm the only person to have owned this instrument. It's not been fucked with or mistreated. That's all down to me now.

I've had it a few weeks now and while it's not a million miles away from my old Les Paul replicas, there is something different about it. It feels more alive and responsive, more acoustically resonant. It loves bending notes and really sings when you hit the sweet spots. The neck in particular feels lighter and more resonant than any guitar I've had, and I think this has a huge impact on the feel and sound of the guitar. It also has a super dark, tightly grained maple fretboard. Overall it's not super light at 9 and half pounds, but it feels good. I almost went for an Appetite burst that weighed 8.7lbs but I preferred the finish on this.

It's the first flame top I've owned and it doesn't disappoint, in lower light it really comes alive with 3D pattern and movement and also some grain visible. I frequently find myself stopping and staring at it from across the room like a lovesick pup, especially now I'm working from home in lockdown. The temptation is real.

Was it worth the extra 400 for a Slash model? Not sure, but it's definitely nicer in appearance than the standards I was seeing. I love the AAA top, the dark back and the no pickguard look. The Alnico 2 pickups sound great to my ear, but as its my first Gibson I can't really compare it to anything. I've removed the scully truss rod cover as I prefer the plain look.

Just iphone pics here so lacking detail on the top. I can get my grown up camera on it if anyone cares.

IMG_0711b.jpg

Much love x

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy new year all. Very seldom post on here but always enjoy reading the threads and looking at the pictures.

I'm finally at a point in life where I can justify paying what to most folk is an obscene amount of money for a guitar. I've been playing over 20 years, nothing special, bedroom hobbyist, jamming with mates, college covers band etc. Always wrestled with the cost of a Gibson being too much, especially for someone of my ability. I lost my dad in September and came into a little bit of money, so I thought, 12 months 0% finance and a birthday/Christmas present. Life is too short right!

I've had a high end Japanese Tokai and a Korean Epi in the past, both were good particularly the Tokai, which had custom shop specs and felt like a very expensive guitar, maybe even more so than the Gibson. It played beautifully, but felt a little bit lifeless, didn't have any zing. I didn't bond with either and felt maybe the Les Paul just wasn't for me, selling both and trying a Jazzmaster for the last year or so. But my heroes all play Les Pauls and I've never been able to shake the want for one.

So here we are. Straight out the gate I have to say I'm not a 'new guitar' fan. I prefer stuff that feels played in, so the whole brand new thing didn't really woo me. The one thing that is nice is the knowledge that I'm the only person to have owned this instrument. It's not been fucked with or mistreated. That's all down to me now.

I've had it a few weeks now and while it's not a million miles away from my old Les Paul replicas, there is something different about it. It feels more alive and responsive, more acoustically resonant. It loves bending notes and really sings when you hit the sweet spots. The neck in particular feels lighter and more resonant than any guitar I've had, and I think this has a huge impact on the feel and sound of the guitar. It also has a super dark, tightly grained maple fretboard. Overall it's not super light at 9 and half pounds, but it feels good. I almost went for an Appetite burst that weighed 8.7lbs but I preferred the finish on this.

It's the first flame top I've owned and it doesn't disappoint, in lower light it really comes alive with 3D pattern and movement and also some grain visible. I frequently find myself stopping and staring at it from across the room like a lovesick pup, especially now I'm working from home in lockdown. The temptation is real.

Was it worth the extra 400 for a Slash model? Not sure, but it's definitely nicer in appearance than the standards I was seeing. I love the AAA top, the dark back and the no pickguard look. The Alnico 2 pickups sound great to my ear, but as its my first Gibson I can't really compare it to anything. I've removed the scully truss rod cover as I prefer the plain look.

Just iphone pics here so lacking detail on the top. I can get my grown up camera on it if anyone cares.

View attachment 510619

Much love x
Beautiful.

I recommend you set it up by a window with the right angle and you will be surprised what you can do with a phone camera.

This was done with a phone. I just took some time clocking the Guitar right, holding the neck up right and them positioning the camera right. Yours looks like it would be a stunner!

LP1865

Reaction score
Beautiful.

I recommend you set it up by a window with the right angle and you will be surprised what you can do with a phone camera.

This was done with a phone. I just took some time clocking the Guitar right, holding the neck up right and them positioning the camera right. Yours looks like it would be a stunner!

I gotta ask, whats that bridge pickup?

Quoitsman

Reaction score
DiMarzio X2N custom ordered with double cream to get a vintage look and a hot signal.

My bad if i derailed your NGD thread a bit
No worries, my iphone is pretty old so doesn't do well in lower light I will wait for some sun and update with some better pics.

Also forgot to mention the smell. This guitar smells amazing. Sweet chocolate, buttery lacquer. That's one unexpected advantage to a new Gibson.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Congratulations on your stunning looking Les Paul. From your post, I gather that you are already finding the sweet spots of that guitar, when played. Stay with it and you'll notice its tone improving further...with continued play.

classicplayer

emerald81

Reaction score
Beautiful.

Thats cool, what output have the dimarzio?

lennoed

Reaction score
That's a great looking guitar !

I also just got my first Gibson and can't stop looking at it ?!!
I pick it up and see something new in the top every time I look at it that I didn't see at the shop. It's such a good feeling and I'm so glad I made the decision to buy it !!
Looks great, sounds great and plays great !!!

TheWelder

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar - congrats! I'd love to see more pictures when you have time.

JMP

Reaction score
Congratulations! What an awesome guitar. Enjoy it.

Latest Threads