NGD Slash AFD - a bit disappointed

DaveSG

Reaction score
I have one of the '90 Pre-Historic super tops on my '59 RI, but it looks downright dull unless it's in the right light. Here it is in the sun looking super flamey:

View attachment 608924

I can't find a pic from indoors in low light, but it looks almost like a plain top.
Drool:drool: love a gorgeous lefty.

OP, its a nice guitar! Give it some time. If you still find your not diggin' it, someone else for sure will. At that point, get what is going to astound you every time you open the case.

spike450

Reaction score

Vanaspatti

Reaction score
I look at Sweetwater all the time because they post pictures of the actual guitars and I have been wondering lately about what constitutes AAA and AAAA ratings. The Gibsons are really not very “flamey” to be called AAA in my eyes. The Epiphones look better but I think they are a veneer on a plain maple cap. They might be a veneer with no cap though. I understand that all wood is different and has different character but maple, not being an endangered species, seems like they could do a lot better than what they are.

Cygnus X-1

Reaction score
That is absolutely gorgeous, the colour is spot on :applause:
Thanks- yeah I worked with my local shop and gave him a bunch of pics to send to Gibson so there would be no variations. It’s funny because I said “it’s Appetite Amber- you know, the color you used on the AFD run” and I was told since the run was over it wasn’t an option. So I said ok - and sent him pics of the guitar in APPETITE AMBER.
It also has a sweet cherry back.

tincbtrar

Reaction score
If it plays really well you should keep it. I got two Slash duds this year and sent them both back and gave up, which still bugs me today.

drivers1959

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 8.20.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 8.20.03 AM.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 19

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got new LP Slash Appetite AFD and feel a bit disappointed with the top. Seeing various photos online I expected more visible horizontal burst lines, however my guitar seems to have more understated lines.

What do you think? Is it how it's supposed to be?

View attachment 608381
View attachment 608382 View attachment 608383 View attachment 608384 View attachment 608385 View attachment 608389 View attachment 608390

View attachment 608386 View attachment 608388

View attachment 608230
I have not liked any of the appetite epi's i seen in the UK flame looks rally weak and shallow looking.

tincbtrar

Reaction score
I have not liked any of the appetite epi's i seen in the UK flame looks rally weak and shallow looking.
Probably because it’s a super thin veneer over a maple cap glued to a mahogany body.

AJK1

Reaction score
To be honest, I find all these artist replicas the antithesis of rock n roll. If you want a Clapton strat, buy a strat, you want a hendrix flying v, get a v off the peg. Its all these guys did. We get all wrapped up in what these guys play when in reality these players just bought from a store.
Or had a copy made by a Luthier…

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally buy a guitar because i want a certain style of guitar. Sometimes that is 'inspired' by a name guitarist, Like i put some low wound with uneven winds and A2 mags in my R8 which I am still experimenting with and trying to dial the AFD tone, getting closeish at mo. TBH non of the slash sig models i have seen make me want to get one.

As part of getting that sound. I think the speakers need attention now as final link. I have two vintage celestion but I do not want to try them with the marshall head as they are only 20w combined and I reckon that 50w rating on the jcm2000 is on the conservative side. So only really have the 70/80 and the V30 to mess with. Built a new 2x12 cab in 18mm wide enough for the DSL head.

darkvoice

Reaction score
This is Gibson version we discuss here, however Epi was even worse - I bought one few months ago and it looked nothing like Slash's AFD.

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
The Slash Standard…..nice!
Best playing guitar I've ever owned. Played for 25 of my 36 years of existence. It immediately became my #1 and i almost pulled the trigger on 2 historics recently but it went blow for blow with those so I didn't.
As close to CS as you get without paying the premium.

I may have gotten lucky?

Latest Threads