NGD Slash AFD - a bit disappointed

darkvoice

Reaction score
I've got new LP Slash Appetite AFD and feel a bit disappointed with the top. Seeing various photos online I expected more visible horizontal burst lines, however my guitar seems to have more understated lines.

What do you think? Is it how it's supposed to be?

P1430106.JPG

P1430107.JPG
P1430108.JPG
P1430109.JPG
P1430110.JPG
P1430114.JPG
P1430115.JPG

P1430111.JPG
P1430113.JPG

P1430101.JPG

Last edited:

Nick-O

Reaction score
What we think isn't the question. You need to bond with it. I would play it a bunch and see if there is something more than looks there.
If not, return it and make a deal with the guitar in someone's hand and a camera in the other.

.02¢

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
So ... first off, I think your guitar is gorgeous, and congrats to you for scoring such a fine instrument. That being said, flame can vary depending on the angle. You just walk into Guitar Center and see so much maple-top flame everywhere (even the cheap and illegal Chibsons are all flamed out) that it loses its "special" factor to me. Personally, I prefer more "understated". I know that there are many here that differ from that viewpoint and want the Flame Meter to be pegged on "10". Your guitar actually looks pretty flamey to me so some slight variances in "flame strength" to me would be a good thing. That is just me, though. Aside from the flame, do you have any thoughts on the overall fit/finish and how it plays?? (just curious)

RocketKing

Reaction score
I think it looks nice, but it's a dark photo.
I'm sure it looks better in the sun at the right angle.
My Les Paul changes a lot according to light source and angle.
Having said that, not all tops are the same.
None of these look like the original anyway.
How does it feel and sound?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under that lighting any top will look like crap.... what I do see can definitely look better under some brighter light.

How does it play and sound?... that’s the real test.

JMP

Reaction score
I think it looks bitchin’. BUT, how does it play??

Hecubus

Reaction score
Looks like shit. I'll do you a favor and give you $1500 for it.

KIDDING. That looks awesome in crappy light. I can't wait to see it in better lighting. As others have said, you need to be the one that likes it, but I see nothing wrong with that top.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Agree with others, would be good to see it in sunlight. I remember my Les Paul’s top came to life with some bright natural light and at the right angles.

But regardless, if you still don’t love it, then I would exchange. There’s so many options and choices, no reason to feel like you settled. Best of luck!

kelsodeez

Reaction score
My 2020 slash standard had a few dead spots but at the right angle it would come to life

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If it were me, wanting something that looked closer and similar to a Slash AFD, I would send it back and purchase from Sweetwater where you can choose your top and find one you like better. I converted my Joe B. Lazarus guitar over to a Slash AFD, because the top was a lot nicer than what Sweetwater was offering on the choices from there site. Take some pictures in better lighting, because we are having a hard time seeing the top on your guitar for what it's really capable of. It looks like you have a really nice top, but the lighting is a bit dim for showing what it really looks like.

EpiSlashAppetite4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads