NGD: Silly Awesome R6/R7 Conversion GM Makeover

Barker

Reaction score
Well it's far from new and I've had it for some time now, but I love this guitar. I actually acquired it from our very own lefty legend Steve Craw for another stupid good guitar, my old HM R8. It's undergone some serious part swapping and is now fitted with a combination of vintage and high-end repro parts. It's started it's life as a 2007 R6, then had a very nice Gord Miller Makeover, later it was routed for humbuckers. It did have some light aging when it left Gord, but much of the wear, dings, checking has come from it's time on stage with Steve and from me grabbing it very frequently to play. It's got a nice big neck with with a subtle 'V', this contour was copied from a '54 Goldtop. It weighs in it at 8lbs 14oz. Anyway, that's enough typing, here are some pictures I just snapped on this cool cloudy day here in the South.

Boston Dan

Reaction score
Sensational. What pickups and covers do u have in there? Also love the black plastics on a gold top!

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Damn, Kristian, she looks awesome!!! That beauty has been a labor of love for both of us now, and I'd be lying if were to say I didn't miss her. Glad you took her and made her your own. I had thought about going with black plastic, and one of the biggest reasons I didn't was a friend of mine had done that with his, so I didn't want to copy his look. So glad to see her again. Gonna start calling her GoldyBlack. Salute!!!

Barker

Reaction score
Sensational. What pickups and covers do u have in there? Also love the black plastics on a gold top!
Thanks Dan!

The pickups are MGL Custom Spec Creamtone PAFs. The neck has the stock A3 in it & in the bridge there's an vintage A2 long magnet. The covers are Throbak. Really great pups!

Barker

Reaction score
Damn, Kristian, she looks awesome!!! That beauty has been a labor of love for both of us now, and I'd be lying if were to say I didn't miss her. Glad you took her and made her your own. I had thought about going with black plastic, and one of the biggest reasons I didn't was a friend of mine had done that with his, so I didn't want to copy his look. So glad to see her again. Gonna start calling her GoldyBlack. Salute!!!
Thanks Steve! You know I miss the R8 as well, but this guitar is just as awesome so we are both winners. As I see it, only 2 people will ever own this guitar... you & me!

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great LP which I was fortunate enough to see in person awhile ago...

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at that board! This thing is sweet. I'd play it upside down! ;)

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Thanks Steve! You know I miss the R8 as well, but this guitar is just as awesome so we are both winners. As I see it, only 2 people will ever own this guitar... you & me!

Same with the R8. Just after I saw this thread yesterday I was heading out with "The Barker Burst" to play a local joint, so she's getting a lot of action!

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind if I show you "The Barker Burst" in action from yesterday: With Bernie B (on right) no, the pic isn't backwards, Bernie is a lefty too!

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Thanks! Bernie's playing a Traditional. He has a 2012 R8 that screams! Also, a lefty Tikibird that's really cool.

Barker

Reaction score
Thanks! Bernie's playing a Traditional. He has a 2012 R8 that screams! Also, a lefty Tikibird that's really cool.

Nice, it's really cool (& rare) to see two lefty players up on stage together.. :thumb:!

Reaction score
That GT looks better with every ding both of you guys have put in it. Two very cool guitars both you guys have! :thumb:

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I love my R6>R7 conversion too. I have a ways to go to bring it up to Barker's awesome axe. I like the black plastics too. Gives me something to think about. Here's a couple pix: