NGD! SG inside

1neeto

Reaction score
Lester’s little brother, and I couldn’t be happier. Gifted to myself for my birthday, and it’s my first SG, and I have to say “now I get it”. All these years I saw the SG as that weird Gibson only Angus Young, and Tommy Iommi fans like. No idea why I never even tried one, it was pure ignorance.

My good GAS-enabling friend sent me a message and his words were “you need this guitar”. Yeah I’ve read that sentence countless times when he’s just trying to offload something he acquired but didn’t end up liking. He then sent me pictures and I see it’s an SG. I almost said not for me, but he told me the price, and it happened to have the correct name on the headstock so it did pique my interest. I agreed to take it for a spin, and what greeted me was a guitar that has seen better days. It’s a 1998 Special, so no trapezoid inlays or anything fancy. I also noticed mismatched covered and uncovered pickups. It made me even question its authenticity. I looked behind the headstock, and all I can barely see is the last four of the serial number. I then started asking questions.

Is is a real Gibson? He assured me it is. And I trust him since we have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of gear to each other. So I ask why the serial seems botched? And the story goes that this guitar was being used as a canvas for an aspiring luthier. He used an experimental nitro finish with a catalyst he didn’t want to disclose. The result is a very nice satin finish that is quite lovely on the neck. The pickups are some sort of hot Duncan on the bridge (he called it a 18k ohm PAF, but I’ve never heard of such thing. Maybe it’s a JB?) the neck is a Dimarzio Titan. Plugged her in, and I was sold. Loved the tone and feel of this guitar. I finally get why the SG has such a hardcore fan base.
So here it is, my birthday gift to me!
DbFnvw2.jpg

tl285sI.jpg

TnK1UD4.jpg

img

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
SGs are super comfortable guitars to play, similar to Strats in that way. I have owned four and they always put a smile on my face when I picked them up.

Congrats and HNGD!

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Nice looking. Once I picked up my SG I had the same “aha!” moment. I too had thought of it as a weird guitar for AC/DC fans. No longer!

If memory serves me, don’ JBs read at around 14?

ajory72

Reaction score
SGs are super comfortable guitars to play, similar to Strats in that way. I have owned four and they always put a smile on my face when I picked them up.

Congrats and HNGD!
Lester’s little brother, and I couldn’t be happier. Gifted to myself for my birthday, and it’s my first SG, and I have to say “now I get it”. All these years I saw the SG as that weird Gibson only Angus Young, and Tommy Iommi fans like. No idea why I never even tried one, it was pure ignorance.

My good GAS-enabling friend sent me a message and his words were “you need this guitar”. Yeah I’ve read that sentence countless times when he’s just trying to offload something he acquired but didn’t end up liking. He then sent me pictures and I see it’s an SG. I almost said not for me, but he told me the price, and it happened to have the correct name on the headstock so it did pique my interest. I agreed to take it for a spin, and what greeted me was a guitar that has seen better days. It’s a 1998 Special, so no trapezoid inlays or anything fancy. I also noticed mismatched covered and uncovered pickups. It made me even question its authenticity. I looked behind the headstock, and all I can barely see is the last four of the serial number. I then started asking questions.

Is is a real Gibson? He assured me it is. And I trust him since we have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of gear to each other. So I ask why the serial seems botched? And the story goes that this guitar was being used as a canvas for an aspiring luthier. He used an experimental nitro finish with a catalyst he didn’t want to disclose. The result is a very nice satin finish that is quite lovely on the neck. The pickups are some sort of hot Duncan on the bridge (he called it a 18k ohm PAF, but I’ve never heard of such thing. Maybe it’s a JB?) the neck is a Dimarzio Titan. Plugged her in, and I was sold. Loved the tone and feel of this guitar. I finally get why the SG has such a hardcore fan base.
So here it is, my birthday gift to me!
DbFnvw2.jpg

tl285sI.jpg

TnK1UD4.jpg

img
Very nice SG, I like duane_the_tubs comment about them being like strats, and I think that’s what Ted Lover and co at Gibson were trying to accomplish. I bought an SG in August and haven’t gone back to the Les Paul since…. they are certainly as slim as strats :)

sonar1

Reaction score
I’ve had several.
My present SG sounds wunnerful!

1neeto

Reaction score
SG feeling like a strat is the most accurate description I can think of. I’ve played mostly strat style guitars, so no wonder I feel much at home on what feels like a shorter scale strat. And whoever said that SG’s sound thin is full of it. This guitar sounds very full, and also even more resonant acoustically than my Les Paul. The weight feels quite the same as my weight relieved Studio, so I’m guessing a bit over 7 pounds.

Haakon

I spell betterer than i play
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Love SG’s. Great guitars. Have had 3 so far. Miss my black std with batwing like yours!Badsss look imo.
0811EC06-0365-47CF-AA76-2DC366C4E694.jpeg
68F40CCA-3ACC-4C2A-A860-FB2160F6EBEC.jpeg

Red with Slash zebras is the current one.

Last edited:

1neeto

Reaction score
I learned long ago that if i wanted nice gifts for my birthday it was up to me lol.

Congrats !!!
Ain’t that right!

Nice! Love SG’s. Great guitars. Have had 3 so far. Miss my black std with batwing like yours!Badsss look imo. View attachment 568640 View attachment 568642
Red with Slash zebras is the current one.
Beautiful SG’s! The SG lingo is a bit lost on me but what do you mean by bat wings? Is it the pick guard? It’s the only thing I see that resemble bat wings.

here’s a fun video I made the day I got it. I’m a ok player a bit past beginner, but I’m just having a blast.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
You will your SG. they are wonderful guitars. I have an SG Special with P90s. It's a real treat to play. Enjoy yours and have some fun too!

Rob H.

Reaction score
Nice Special! Looks legit to me. That might be an ebony fretboard, I forget which years that was done.

I’ve had some new Gibsons with the shallow stamping in the back, and a refin can obscure the digits that much more, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Last edited:

1neeto

Reaction score
Nice Special! Looks legit to me. That might be an ebony fretboard, I forget which years that was done.

I’ve had some new Gibsons with the shallow stamping in the back, and a refin can obscure the digits that much more, so I wouldn’t worry about it.
It’s a ‘98 supposedly, and the ebony board was definitely a focus point. A week later and she gets tons of play.

smk506

Reaction score
Nice! An Sg special was my first nice guitar and I still have it going on 20 years later!

Rob H.

Reaction score
Nice! An Sg special was my first nice guitar and I still have it going on 20 years later!

I had a 2005 wine red Special I wish I never sold. It was my favorite guitar during the time I had it. I love my Standard but wish I never sold that Special… I liked the neck profile on it better… beefier than the Standard

1neeto

Reaction score
Nice! There’s always that one guitar you’ll never get rid of.
I had a 2005 wine red Special I wish I never sold. It was my favorite guitar during the time I had it. I love my Standard but wish I never sold that Special… I liked the neck profile on it better… beefier than the Standard
The neck is what I like the most about this guitar.
Congrats, looks like an awesome guitar!
Thanks! Sure is an awesome guitar!

1neeto

Reaction score
Well did the irresponsible adult thing and ended up getting the LTD as well!
aGjunX6.jpg

ocvpSFZ.jpg

NQAIs0j.jpg

0YKk40m.jpg

Latest Threads