NGD score!

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I found a Martin HD-28! Supply of HD's are low everywhere but this popped up new at my local dealer this morning. They only had a stock picture though. I found out my Dad was going there today anyway so we went together.

To my surprise it had a beautiful all black board with a nice top and back. Both of us played, it and another guitar against it, at the same time. It sounded better than anything on the wall we put up against it. Something special going on with the highs, though it is wonderfully balanced. It's articulate too and doesn't flub out when you get loud with it.

They said they'd been waiting on a HD-28 for almost a year and didn't know when another might show up. My other option was to drive to Nashville and hope to luck out there, but I'd looked at all the big shops and they had nothing close to as nice. This one was the model I was after, checked all the boxes for tone and looks and I couldn't walk away. It didn't last twenty-four hours and was sold.

So here it is, my first Martin. It's tough to get good pics on something this shiny and reflective. I'll try to get better ones later when the weather and sun are right.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a beauty, I want one but have to wait until funds build back up.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool piece. Congrats. Cool to hear about sharing the guitar day with your dad. I'm not sure many of us got to share guitar love with our dads. I know I didn't. That's special. Treasure it!

77 Les Paul

Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it. And to go with your dad when you picked it out; well that’s a wonderful lifetime memory!

The HD-28’s are great acoustics. I love the prototypical “cannon” tone mine has. Just a beautiful balanced tone high to low. And the old school appointments on the HD are a real nice touch (snowflake inlays on the fretboard & herringbone on the back).

I was lucky enough to play a ton of Martin’s at Winter NAMM including the D-42 & D-45 series. Yes they had all the bling…but they didn’t sound better than the HD-28 IMO.

Enjoy!

Dilver

Reaction score
The D 28 is an iconic acoustic guitar for a reason. I think it will bring you years of enjoyment. Congrats!

danohat

Reaction score
My dad was not in love with my love of the guitar. I snuck a couple in before he knew I was blowing my money on them. When he passed, I took some of his money and bought myself a V. I knew he'd approve. Ha!

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Congrats!
HD-28 has been on my short list for a couple decades now.

More than once I’ve had a nice one in my hands and the $100 bills in my pocket.
But for some reason, I’ve never been able to throw down Les Paul Custom money on an acoustic guitar.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I should have bought one twenty years ago. I got a cheapo Ibanez and it sucked so much it only got new strings every five years. I sort of cheated myself out of a big range of music.

I know what you're talking about though on the money, but for me it's over halfway to a vintage LP Jr. money. I have just the tiniest bit of buyers remorse. However when I'm playing it I know it should have been bought decades ago.

This one sounds so good, and requires different enough playing technique that it's opening up different paths for songs and playing styles that I wouldn't have explored otherwise.

Plus how do you get a badass broken-in 28 if you don't get one and start working it out.

Leee

Reaction score
Absolutely!
I get it.
I don’t think I would have any buyers remorse from an HD-28 or a Taylor 618.
I’ve had no end of decent used acoustics, a few of them actually pretty nice.
One ironic thing, several friends of mine have bought really nice acoustics on my recommendation instead of me picking it up for myself.
So go figure!

Currently have a 1969 Rokkoman which is a Japanese-built D-28 copy. Nothing extraordinary about it, but it plays really sweet.
Also, a clean Guild D-37 from 1980.
Laminated Maple and a Spruce top.

Leee

Reaction score
When I went to the big guitar show at the Astrodome in Houston in 2000, it was my intent to pick up a D-28 once and for all.
Instead, I left with my first nice Les Paul.

Just last spring - well, of 2021, my first trip to Nashville.
I had the money in my pocket to grab a nice acoustic.
I played a bunch of them over a couple of days, and all I bought was a used Ampeg bass amp from Gruhn’s.

I can’t explain it.
I’m too much of a tightwad.
I will throw down on a killer electric, but acoustic guitars and tube amps give me sticker shock.

Time and time again, I walk away from what I know would be a killer piece but I just can’t come off the money.

smk506

Reaction score
When I went to the big guitar show at the Astrodome in Houston in 2000, it was my intent to pick up a D-28 once and for all.
Instead, I left with my first nice Les Paul.

Just last spring - well, of 2021, my first trip to Nashville.
I had the money in my pocket to grab a nice acoustic.
I played a bunch of them over a couple of days, and all I bought was a used Ampeg bass amp from Gruhn’s.

I can’t explain it.
I’m too much of a tightwad.
I will throw down on a killer electric, but acoustic guitars and tube amps give me sticker shock.

Time and time again, I walk away from what I know would be a killer piece but I just can’t come off the money.

I’ve kind of got the same thing going. Electric guitar money flows out of my pockets like a river into the ocean, but the cash hits a dam for amps and acoustics.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
The Martin will be back to worth the purchase price in very few years though, especially if it's got an all black board. It's like renting a killer acoustic that you can sell quick and easy if the funds are needed.

smk506

Reaction score
The Martin will be back to worth the purchase price in very few years though, especially if it's got an all black board. It's like renting a killer acoustic that you can sell quick and easy if the funds are needed.
That’s the nice thing about nice guitars, it’s foolish to look at them as in investment (in my opinion and financial position, ymmv) BUT that doesn’t make them a bad place to park some cash.

As long as new prices climb, used prices climb and since companies like fender and Gibson are smart enough to keep ahead of the game, you can at least keep up with inflation. You might loose a few bucks, but that’s the cost of enjoyment in the meantime.

Leee

Reaction score
10 years ago, I could’ve bought a very clean 1981 D-28 from a friend of mine for $1000.
He bought it new.
Used it in his studio.

He had bought a couple of pricey Taylors, I remember one being an 812 or 814.

Decided he was going to let the Martin go. He was getting his money back out of it, so he wasn’t asking for a lot.

I passed, so he listed it on eBay and made out like a bandit.

Leee

Reaction score
American guitars across the price spectrum have doubled in 20 years.
Many have tripled.

I sold some really nice stuff for a nice profit in the last 10 years, and I am blown away at the prices those very same guitars are going for now.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Congratulations, American made Martins are truly wonderful. I have two. One is a basic model, I think later named Custom D that I’ve played for 18 years. It’s great. The other is a D41 I bought 4 years ago as a reward for paying my mortgage off early. I believe the HD28 has the same rosewood -spruce combination so I’m sure it’s outstanding. This is a guitar to enjoy for a lifetime.

Latest Threads