NGD - Robby Krieger SG

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Hi!
Bought this SG Robby Krieger off a gentleman yesterday:
(the pic is crap - I'll shoot some better ones soon)
the_nuge-albums-the_nuge-s-geetars-picture54671-robby-krieger.jpg

It's "only" the 'cheap" 50th version, but I wanted an SG with a Lyre and didn't want to spend a fortune.
When I tried it out at first it wouldn't stay in tune at all, but I think I've sorted that with a bit of filing of the nut and some new strings - 10-46 on this one, as opposed to the 11s I usually have on Gibbys. It still doesn't stay in tune very well when you use the trem for more than a light shimmer :hmm:. Tips are most welcome! Is the trem bar, where the arm attaches to, supposed to be lose? When the strings are off, I can move the treble side slightly.
Sound-wise I like it a lot - it's medium output, quite "woody" with more treble than expected. The out-of-phase function is cool for funky rhythm stuff, but you get hum when touching the neck pup (which is better when also touching the strings - :hmm:)... Why is this? :hmm:.
Playability is nice too - everything apart from the nut is nicely finished :thumb:
It's not mint by a far stretch, but I suppose that means it's been played because it sounds good :)

On a side note: the guy I bought it from had set up 4 amps for me to play through: a Marshall Anniversary, a Mesa Boogie, an old Kitty Hawk Dumble Overdrive Special clone and a Twinkleland and Twinklelator - also a Dumble clone. He also had literally 100 (nice) pedals lying around for me to use if so desired - very nice doing business with people like that!

Es

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Nice. Which of those amps you liked best?

Hi Nicolas,

I liked the Kitty Hawk best actually. Mind you, my judgement is based on 45mins noodling around whilst only changing the amp settings once :D. Got a nice OD-sound (not too gainy) and a nice clean with slight break.up fairly quickly.

Es

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
damn thats a ACE seller. In spades!

Try out a graphtech Trem Nut or Black Tusq.

Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL Slotted Nut PT 6010 00 Graphtech Fits Gibson Les Paul | eBay
http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=8

They make a model with Gibby dimensions and I found them to be amazing with heavy bends and bigsby wanking. For ten bucks, Youll be surprised at how LITTLE adjusting you need to do on the factory nut slots and nut height.

I love them coupled with string saver saddles, which they do make for the ABR1 and Nashville bridges. People b!tch about the tuners but this is a simpler solution that makes tuning issues null. Ive got that combo on 3 epi Les Pauls. And my main Melody maker (a black 2007)

ABR-1
Graph Tech String Saver Saddles for Gibson ABR1 Tuneomatic PS 8400 00 | eBay
Nashville
Graph Tech String Saver Saddles for Gibson Nashville Tuneomatic PS 8500 00 | eBay
http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=40

Man, I should work for these guys.

nutsauce

Reaction score
The RK is one of the best sounding new SGs I've ever played. Congrats!!!

The_Nuge

Reaction score
damn thats a ACE seller. In spades!

Try out a graphtech Trem Nut or Black Tusq.

Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL Slotted Nut PT 6010 00 Graphtech Fits Gibson Les Paul | eBay
http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=8

They make a model with Gibby dimensions and I found them to be amazing with heavy bends and bigsby wanking. For ten bucks, Youll be surprised at how LITTLE adjusting you need to do on the factory nut slots and nut height.

I love them coupled with string saver saddles, which they do make for the ABR1 and Nashville bridges. People b!tch about the tuners but this is a simpler solution that makes tuning issues null. Ive got that combo on 3 epi Les Pauls. And my main Melody maker (a black 2007)

ABR-1
Graph Tech String Saver Saddles for Gibson ABR1 Tuneomatic PS 8400 00 | eBay
Nashville
Graph Tech String Saver Saddles for Gibson Nashville Tuneomatic PS 8500 00 | eBay
http://www.graphtech.com/kbase.html?ArticleID=40

Man, I should work for these guys.

Hi!
Already ordered a Tusq nut! And an blank bone nut just in case I feel particularly talented in guitar fixing that day :D.
Has anybody ever thought of making a quick-attatch adaptor for the trem bar? The Vibrola definately passed through the Ministry of Bad Design before being signed off! Looks cool though!

I also installed a Schaller roller bridge that I had lying around, which has improved the tuning stability a lot!

Es

Es

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Hi!
Already ordered a Tusq nut! And an blank bone nut just in case I feel particularly talented in guitar fixing that day :D.
Has anybody ever thought of making a quick-attatch adaptor for the trem bar? The Vibrola definately passed through the Ministry of Bad Design before being signed off! Looks cool though!

I also installed a Schaller roller bridge that I had lying around, which has improved the tuning stability a lot!

Es

Es

That tusq nut, is it the white or black?

The black one is the PTFE injected formula for tremolo

But truthfully I favor the original tusq nut and saddles for TOM guitars

The_Nuge

Reaction score
That tusq nut, is it the white or black?

The black one is the PTFE injected formula for tremolo

But truthfully I favor the original tusq nut and saddles for TOM guitars

I ordered the white one well knowing that it's not the lubricated kind - black wouldn't suit the lloks I think. The white lubricated ones in Gibson size don't seem to be available in Germany. But anything is going to be better than the Gibson one :D. Nevermind PLEK and susuch, this one was cut so badly that the D-string cut another groove in it next to the intended one. I've made it playable, but it needs to be a tad higher to prevent some of the strings from buzzing.

Es

The_Nuge

Reaction score
And some more pics of it :)
the_nuge-albums-the_nuge-s-geetars-picture54749-sg-krieger-130126-01.jpg

the_nuge-albums-the_nuge-s-geetars-picture54750-sg-krieger-130126-02.jpg

the_nuge-albums-the_nuge-s-geetars-picture54751-sg-krieger-130126-03.jpg

I've now gotten it to stay in tune reasonably well, fixed the trem-arm issue and am really enjoying it. One thing I really don't get is why they had to put that 50th logo on the headstock - a crown or nothing would have been much better. But we all know by now that the customers aren't supposed to understand what goes on in Henry's head :D

Es

GRASS

Reaction score
Nice I like it.

I find it a bit disturbing that a GIBSON could have these problems with tuning etc, its not like its a cheap guitar :shock:

Latest Threads