NGD - R9 60th Anniversary in Southern Fade

PauloQS

Reaction score

My R0/G0 and my 2017 Standard HP in Honeyburst was sacrificed in the process (middle and far right). The R0 was amazing, but I felt the R9 neck profile vastly more comfortable for me.

My new R9 is the most comfortable and best sounding Les Paul I’ve ever played. I’m at work and can’t wait to get home to play it. I’m also really looking forward to taking it to my next band practice so I can play it again at band volumes. I’m going to polish the hardware to bring it back to a shine next time I change the strings then let it form the aged hardware patina naturally. The VOS finish is super comfortable to play even after my hands start getting sweaty. The guitar is absolutely flawless. I’ve played it through a cracked AC15 and a Hot Rod Deluxe so far. I can post more pictures with better lighting over the weekend if you guys want.

Edit: My only beef is the case. I hate it. I much prefer the less historically accurate case that came with my R0, which offered better protection and latch placement. However, I’m only one guy, and Gibson listened to what people wanted and gave them the more accurate and, in my opinion, inferior case.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Southern Fade is definitely my favorite of the new colors. Congrats!

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks great. I like that it's not a true fade

PauloQS

Reaction score
Looks great. I like that it's not a true fade
Me too. I’m not too crazy about true fades. This just looks like the love child of the Vintage Cherry and a Bourbon Burst.

Jer

Reaction score
Holy Crow!! Very nice score, that is the perfect guitar. Enjoy!!

PauloQS

Reaction score

I apologize for posting even more pictures on this thread. The sun came out and my wife, who is a photographer, came storming into my man-cave while I was playing to suggest I take more pictures of my guitar now that the sun is out. I think this might be its final form.

GT1

Reaction score

I apologize for posting even more pictures on this thread. The sun came out and my wife, who is a photographer, came storming into my man-cave while I was playing to suggest I take more pictures of my guitar now that the sun is out. I think this might be its final form.
It's awesome your wife even cares that much about it.
Mine, not so much.

PauloQS

Reaction score
It's awesome your wife even cares that much about it.
Mine, not so much.
She’s alway supportive when I wish to do anything arts related so long I compromised with a few things. For instance, because after our daughter was born, I became our only source of income, I have to keep money for the family and my own guitar related expenditures completely separated. She can’t stand still, so we agreed on one activity per weekend. On that we both compromised, because left to her own devises, we wouldn’t stop home, but if it were up to me I’d spend the whole weekend practicing at home or playing with out daughter.

boola1

Reaction score

Edit: My only beef is the case. I hate it. I much prefer the less historically accurate case that came with my R0, which offered better protection and latch placement. However, I’m only one guy, and Gibson listened to what people wanted and gave them the more accurate and, in my opinion, inferior case.
That is a beautiful R9. Just the right amount of flame for me and a great color.

I agree about the case. Having got my first reissue a couple of weeks ago, I'm not impressed. I can't imagine anybody really wants it. They used to provide a proper case as well. I bet if they asked their customers, they'd find that given a choice of either, people would take a proper case over a flimsy 'reissue'.

old canuck

Reaction score
Really like your new R9 PauloQS.
Me three about the cases. I had a 2014 cs class 5. The case was much better. Better latches (flip up then flip down style), better placement and seemed more rugged.

Last edited:

PauloQS

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. The guitar is absolutely phenomenal. I'm starting to miss the R0 a little bit, but I much prefer the R9, I can't bring myself to part ways with my 2017 Bourbon Burst Standard, and my Standard 50s, albeit not as smooth as the R0, has a neck carve that feels similar to the R9 and therefore more comfortable for me. It's probably just GAS lol. I might just have to get an R0 for my 40th birthday in 2021, which was my original plan for the R9, but I made the mistake to play the one I ended up getting.

I'm curious about one thing, but I didn't want to start a new thread for such a trivial question. The medallions that covers the switch cavity on the 60th Anniversary R9s come with a small diamond. Does anyone know by any chance if it's a real diamond? Part of me thinks it's more likely to be zirconium diamond or something else that is made to look like a diamond, but the guitar is expensive enough that it could be the real thing. I haven't found anything online yet and perhaps someone has better luck with the right combination of words on Google. No it's not going to make a difference at all on how I see the guitar and I don't think real diamonds would give me a better tone :), but I'm just very curious to know.

old canuck

Reaction score
I'm curious about one thing, but I didn't want to start a new thread for such a trivial question. The medallions that covers the switch cavity on the 60th Anniversary R9s come with a small diamond. Does anyone know by any chance if it's a real diamond? Part of me thinks it's more likely to be zirconium diamond or something else that is made to look like a diamond, but the guitar is expensive enough that it could be the real thing. I haven't found anything online yet and perhaps someone has better luck with the right combination of words on Google. No it's not going to make a difference at all on how I see the guitar and I don't think real diamonds would give me a better tone :), but I'm just very curious to know.
[/QUOTE]

I actually removed the 60 anni switch plate cover and put on the plain black cover that Gibson included with case candy.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
I've done the same to every Gibson Custom guitar that came with a metal cover.

I actually pull that and swap the jack plate out for nickel or gold before I even plug it in.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I actually pull that and swap the jack plate out for nickel or gold before I even plug it in.
I do the same on all guitars with plastic jack plates. As for the medallion I swap to the plastic one whenever I take my guitar out, which has only been only twice for the past year and a half.