NGD!! R4

Dave Zee

Reaction score
I posted a thread over the weekend regarding a 2020 R4 tbat I pulled the trigger on. Well........she got here today, and sweet Lort it made the torturous weekend of waiting all worthwhile.

When I opened up the case, I noticed 2 things right off of the bat.
1) they got the color right. Damn if it it’s not the exact shade I’d hoped it’d be.
2) the carve was deep and sexy af. She’s got a deep dish that makes you want to grab her by the neck and do bad things.....

Right out of the gate I noticed that the nitro was still a bit tacky. She was made on May 29th, so it’s to be expected.
The neck is full, but not a bat. Comfortable as the day is long.
The advertised weight of 8lbs 1oz was spot on according to my digital scale. By the time I swapped the switch control plate for the plastic one she weight 8 pounds flat.
I had Rainbow Guitars set it up with NYXL 11-49’s. They set it up every bit as good as I would have. I was very happy with it right out of the case.

I plugged in to my Fryette Valvulator and Rocktron 100 Running into an EVM 12l in a boogie thiele cab. This 54RI didn’t disappoint. The custom p90’s did what they do, and very musically mind you. I played plugged up for about an hour, and I’ve been noodling on it unplugged for the past 3 hours.
Dropping new R4 money wasn’t fun, but it was worth it. Rainbow Guitars made the sting a lot less than I expected, and the axe is a whole lot better than I expected it to be.
I own vintage Gibson’s, a custom, a standard....etc..this is hands down best fit and finish I’ve ever owned.
Big thumbs up for the 2020’s

Attachments

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Beautiful!!!

Congrats, and I’m glad you’re satisfied with it!

steveb63

Reaction score
HNGD!

Rainbow Guitars is the best, one of the last of a dying breed.

I have made many road trips to their store, just great guys to do business with.

Dave Zee

Reaction score
HNGD!

Rainbow Guitars is the best, one of the last of a dying breed.

I have made many road trips to their store, just great guys to do business with.
I didn’t want to step on any of this forums amazing sponsors toes by gushing about Rainbow guitars. That said, I couldn’t find an R4 cheaper ANYWHERE. Besides the amazing price, the service and communication was stellar. Scott texted me pictures from home, and played the axe unplugged and plugged so I could hear it. Anyone who can deal with my OCD they way he did is alright in my book! He treated me like a friend or family.

steveb63

Reaction score
I didn’t want to step on any of this forums amazing sponsors toes by gushing about Rainbow guitars. That said, I couldn’t find an R4 cheaper ANYWHERE. Besides the amazing price, the service and communication was stellar. Scott texted me pictures from home, and played the axe unplugged and plugged so I could hear it. Anyone who can deal with my OCD they way he did is alright in my book! He treated me like a friend or family.
Dave, if you don't mind I'm going to semi- derail the thread to relate a Rainbow Music Story.

A boutique pedal maker was releasing a new pedal, my two bandmates and myself wanted to try one, right away.

So us three middle aged guys pile into the car and make the two hour trip to Rainbow.

When we arrived they set us up in a separate room to try out the new toy. Lent us amps and guitars like we use in the band for a "real world" test drive.

We liked the pedal enough, but didn't want us all to have the same sound. So we tried out various dirt , modulation, boost etc... pedals by the same manufacturer.

After a long while salesman checks on us, asks how we liked the new dirt pedal. We said we loved it, salesman says cool. Then asks if we are going to buy it, we say "yes, of course"

He then asks how we liked the other pedals, we love 'em!

So he asks if we want to buy one, answer is yes. He then asks which one?

We say all, lol. Shoulda seen his face. Thought he was selling a $125 distortion pedal and we walk out with almost $3000 in pedals!

They thew in power supplies, connector cables the works.

What this long post is getting at is that they treated us the same whether we were kicking tires or spending money. Like kings.

Would never hesitate to shop there ever, whether in person or by internet, just damn good folks, that stand behind their word.

Congratulations on the guitar, it's going to bring you many years of happiness!

Dave Zee

Reaction score
Dave, if you don't mind I'm going to semi- derail the thread to relate a Rainbow Music Story.

A boutique pedal maker was releasing a new pedal, my two bandmates and myself wanted to try one, right away.

So us three middle aged guys pile into the car and make the two hour trip to Rainbow.

When we arrived they set us up in a separate room to try out the new toy. Lent us amps and guitars like we use in the band for a "real world" test drive.

We liked the pedal enough, but didn't want us all to have the same sound. So we tried out various dirt , modulation, boost etc... pedals by the same manufacturer.

After a long while salesman checks on us, asks how we liked the new dirt pedal. We said we loved it, salesman says cool. Then asks if we are going to buy it, we say "yes, of course"

He then asks how we liked the other pedals, we love 'em!

So he asks if we want to buy one, answer is yes. He then asks which one?

We say all, lol. Shoulda seen his face. Thought he was selling a $125 distortion pedal and we walk out with almost $3000 in pedals!

They thew in power supplies, connector cables the works.

What this long post is getting at is that they treated us the same whether we were kicking tires or spending money. Like kings.

Would never hesitate to shop there ever, whether in person or by internet, just damn good folks, that stand behind their word.

Congratulations on the guitar, it's going to bring you many years of happiness!
Not a hijack at all. If it wasn’t for Scott at Rainbow, there’s no doubt I’d still be looking for my guitar. I just can’t believe I just found them. They’re the best kept secret around.

steveb63

Reaction score
Sorry, a quick p.s.

Rainbow is also affiliated/ owns a top notch repair shop for amps, and luthier for the guitars.

Have never used them but they have a stellar rep here in Az., what I know of them I would have no hesitation letting them have my precious gear!

In fact planned on having them re-fret my Eric Jonson Strat later this summer, pre-covid.

Who knows now, I'll have to ring them and see what the shop status is.

Latest Threads