NGD: R0/R4

Chuckracer

Reaction score
OK, I got it Friday but it couldn't put it down long enough to write this until today.

29C609B1-DE80-43E9-B267-B327B57A83B7-X4.jpg

This guitar started out life as a 2005 Gibson R0. It was purchased by a friend of mine with a rather poor black paint job on the top. It was originally a promotional guitar with an event or company logo on the top of the guitar that was sprayed over. He did a little experimenting and found the original logo on the top was just a sticker, more or less. He was able to chip it all off, clean the edges and reassemble the guitar so it was a natural top, black back and sides.

CS%20LP%204-X3.jpg

PXL_20210124_155912300-X3.jpg

PXL_20210127_153043956-X3.jpg

PXL_20210127_153055507-X4.jpg

It was cool but he's an R8 guy and didn't jibe with the slimmer R0 neck (which, btw is NOT a super slim neck at all - it feels like the neck on my '93 with a tad less shoulder - very comfortable), so he put it up for sale. I couldn't swing it at the time and another friend bought. He sent it to Texas where he had a talented luthier convert it to a wraptail and spray it gold with apparently some real old Gold nitro he was saving for just such a project. It was his #1 guitar for six months or so until he need a different guitar for a new project (he's a pro), so it came up again. This time I was ready and snagged it!

Pickups are JWP Godwoods and they are amazing! The whole guitar sounds fantastic, just rings unplugged and has a present, but smooth top end you don't generally associate with Les Pauls, thanks I guess to the wraptail bridge. It's amazing and I'm so honored to own this one-of-a-kind R0/R4!

IMG_0741-X3.jpg

IMG_0740-X3.jpg

IMG_0751-X4.jpg

Last edited:

DonRowe

Reaction score
I love this! I did a similar thing to an old LesPaul Classic. Awesome job on the goldtop! Is she still black on the back? EDIT; I see it is. Love the color combo!

Chuckracer

Reaction score
All I did was buy it! I can't take credit for any of the vision and work the previous two gentlemen did.

Chuckracer

Reaction score
Yeah, the P.O. said if both sides were like that he'd have left it alone.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job on the refinish! Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Chuckracer

Reaction score
One Month Update: This is now my Number One!

All I've done is replaced the Callaham/Creamtone wraptail and studs for a Mojo Axe Compensated bridge and Faber locking studs.

Wow! Those mods really woke this guitar up!!

The intonation is better, as to be expected but the bridge really brought out the highs that were lacking with the old bridge. I added the locking studs a week later and it's yet another 20% better. Running a medium action (cause I play a fair bit of slide) and with ten's, this thing just rings and speaks loudly with a strong, clear voice all over the neck. Great sustain...man, I LOVE this guitar!! I'm so happy I went for it!!

Jer

Reaction score
That is soooo sweet man! Congrats and great news on you’re upgrades! I’ve always wanted a set of Godwoods but my LP’s don’t have the high end needed for those Pickups. Someday… Thanks for sharing

Chuckracer

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm beginning to question that myself. I've been playing my '93 with the 498 in the bridge for the past couple days and appreciating it's high end. It's a naturally brighter guitar and I'm thinking about trying the Godwoods in the '93 and the 490/498's in this for giggles.

Last edited:

Latest Threads