NGD PRS SE Custom 24-08

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Saw such a good deal on REVERB, that I thought it was time to try another PRS again.

It was sold as a used '22, which is technically true. In reality, it's more of a new blemished, as there is a very small little mark, under the gloss coat. Looks like a tiny pencil mark. Sold from a Brick and Mortar store in Wisconsin. Heck it still had all the peel away plastic on.

What drew me to it was the great flame top (veneer) , the model, and the price. Many I've seen in the Vintage SUnburst don't have the same kind of flame (I think mine is well matched, AND thinner, which I like), and the 3 piece back is more obvious. Basically a brand new guitar at a 35% discount. Ya, there is that tiny blemish (see pic), but it doesn't bother me, given the rest.

SE Custom 24-08 - SE means made in Asia (Indonesia), Custom is the level (there is a SE Standard as well), which brings a full maple cap with flame veneer, over the Standard level. 24, 24 frets, -08 for 8 different pickup settings.

This is the Vintage Sunburst finish, the model comes also in an Eriza Verde (green) top, but more natural back finish.

Mahogany Body, Maple Cap with Veneer, 25" scale, 10" radius, rosewood board, 3 piece Maple neck in PRS' 'wide thin'. 24 frets. Graphite nut.

PRS molded Trem
TCI 'S' pickups The Asian version of the Core MIA TCI pickups

Other than the mentioned blemish, the rest is perfect. Frets are rounded and smooth on the ends. Weight just under 8 lbs, nut is cut perfectly. Fret rocker found not one, even a little bit high area. In fact, after acclimatization, I was able to set this up with a SUPER low action.

I;d expect this for the $930 normal new price, frankly

I had a set of PRS SE locking tuners from another PRS try back when, so I put those on, when I restrung it.

The one thing that also drew me to this model was the 8 pickup selections. The 2 small dip switches put the pickups into Coil Split, individually. So you get 3 usual humbucker positions, and the 3 same positions, but split, but also 2 positions with 1 split, 1 humbucker..

From the vids, reviews et al I watched, I knew the splits sounded pretty good.

It's a great, playing, comfy, great looking, perfect weight, extremely well-built guitar, that fits me well. Well, not a fan of the gloss poly neck any more, prefer satin or gloss nitro if need be.

But still on the fence on the pickups. Too many PAF and hot PAF, pickups. So initially, they sound off to me, until I get that PAF tone out of my head. That could be it.

BUT, this is the first PRS, I've considered, if I ultimately don't gel with the pickups (like every other one I've trid before), that I'd be willing to swap them out if need be.

20221201_104608.jpg

20221201_104455.jpg

20221201_104533.jpg

20221201_104627.jpg

The 'blemish'
20221201_104924.jpg

Last edited:

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bought it online. then next came down with Flu. Fighting it all week. Ear canals and sinuses still not 100% clear. Tried to wait till I felt better than outhouse slime before trying it other than making sure it wasn't damaged et al. Didn't want to associate sick feeling with it. But until hearing is cleared, can't give final judgement on tone (Love it in all the videos).

DADDEO

Reaction score
Sold my 07 SE Tremonti last year after getting bored with the pickups and wraparound bridge and managed to get more than I paid for it. I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the SE range overall.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
My two PRS SEs are my go-to guitars. One is a 2012 “Orianthi” model which is like a Custom 24 but with an ebony board. The 2012 model has a figured maple top. The other is a 2021 Custom 22 semi hollow with figured maple top in “Santana yellow” stain. Actually, it is a semi - semi hollow as only one body side is chambered. They are the most playable of my 13 guitars, which of course is a personal matter. And, I actually like the tones available on the stock pups through my tube amps. As I’m not a trem player, I locked down the bottoms of the tone blocks with those “trem blockers” available on eBay and Amazon for about $10. I found that this significantly increased primary sustain. I also installed a solid brass tone block on the Orianthi model. I didn’t do this on the Custom 22, because the improvement was very slight — if it even exists. Other than this, the guitars are stock. Both guitars came with flawless quality and playable right out of the box. I do my own set ups, which improved their playability even more. If I recall correctly, these were made in Korea as they are in the Custom series. I think the Standard series are made in Indonesia.

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
I've had a handful of the SE series (3 or 4) of the Customs. Whichever model I've always considered them to be a great bang for the buck.

Because I know I can pick up another at pretty much any time when I'm GAS'ing for a new toy the SE is usually first on the chopping block.

A couple weekends ago I filled that slot with another Custom 24 SE. Every once in a while I find myself kind of wanting the features that make this model unique. 24 frets with great upper access, humbuckers and a decent trem.
IMG_20221127_121259621.jpg

Previous owner just added brushed nickel covers on an otherwise stock guitar.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
When I was looking for my first PRS, I happened into a music store in a little north New Mexico town that just happened to have a good stock of them including several SEs. Some new, some used, ranging in price from about $500 to about $5,000. I played them all, and (believe it or not) I liked the SEs better than the higher priced USA models. So when I got home, I searched the net to see what was available in the SE line and chose the Orianthi. You are correct about the SEs being a great bang for the buck. I think they are the best in that regard. In fact, they are so good in that regard that I find looking at something higher priced to be a backward step.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
When I was looking for my first PRS, I happened into a music store in a little north New Mexico town that just happened to have a good stock of them including several SEs. Some new, some used, ranging in price from about $500 to about $5,000. I played them all, and (believe it or not) I liked the SEs better than the higher priced USA models. So when I got home, I searched the net to see what was available in the SE line and chose the Orianthi. You are correct about the SEs being a great bang for the buck. I think they are the best in that regard. In fact, they are so good in that regard that I find looking at something higher priced to be a backward step.
One of my best friends (for going on 42 years) bought his Custom 22 (I think, could be a 24) new in 97 for $3k ($5600 in today's equivalent).

He has played 99% of every notes he's ever played on that guitar. When he spent 2 years working in Australia I guitar sat for him. I had it for 2 years to play whenever I wanted and just couldn't get into it. However, I always really like the SE versions. Go figure.

Latest Threads