NGD - PRS Custom 24 SE

Sledge

Reaction score
So now I am a PRS owner. From now on, when I poop it will come out in little baggies with twist-ties!

Already I know I need to replace the junk tuners. Will also get a Tusq nut unless someone recommends a roller one. Also some pickup covers if anyone knows the specific spacing for PRS pickups. I'm just not a fan of zebras and think the guitar will look a lot more classy with nickle covers.
Plays great, but tuning stability is dreadful. Appalling even. Hoping some Grovers and new nut will fix that. It was set up reasonably well, even though I did tweak it a little. the slots for the wound strings are way deep. Supposedly these things come with 9's but after re-stringing with 10's the intonation was spot-on. I haven't put a meter on them but the pickups seem pretty hot, and have a good range. It has the "wide flat" neck, and they aren't kidding. Sort of feels like you are playing a skateboard. For a thinner body, it has lots of sustain. Overall I think I'm going to be very happy after a few upgrades.

Bud Stoner

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 PRS CU24 SE in vintage Yellow.

I had the frets leveled and a bone nut made up and it is an amazing guitar now.

Plays easy and perfect, sounds great and I'm a happy camper.

I also put on some nickel pickup covers and installed them.

I got the 50mm for the neck and the 52mm for the bridge, due to the wider spacing.

bridge pickup cover

neck pickup cover

Other than that, it's all stock and I have no plans for further mods.

Sledge

Reaction score
I have a 2014 PRS CU24 SE in vintage Yellow.

I had the frets leveled and a bone nut made up and it is an amazing guitar now.

Plays easy and perfect, sounds great and I'm a happy camper.

I also put on some nickel pickup covers and installed them.

I got the 50mm for the neck and the 52mm for the bridge, due to the wider spacing.

bridge pickup cover

neck pickup cover

Other than that, it's all stock and I have no plans for further mods.
I didn't check them, but I don't seem to have any fret issues, so I got lucky I suppose. Considering the SE is sort of like Epi is to Gibson (I guess), the tuners are really disappointing, I have an Epi Plus Top Pro LP That I have modded the hell out of, but at least that came with Grovers, which have been perfect., In fact, that guitar was great, but I had some Dimarzio pickups that I wanted to try, and went ahead and redid all the wiring and pots/jack/switch while i was at it. But that guitar was actually more playable right out of the box than the PRS. Oh well, under $100 and the PRS should be a little monster.

Thanks for the info on the covers. I wouldn't have guessed they were mismatched like that.

Bud Stoner

Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't check them, but I don't seem to have any fret issues, so I got lucky I suppose. Considering the SE is sort of like Epi is to Gibson (I guess), the tuners are really disappointing, I have an Epi Plus Top Pro LP That I have modded the hell out of, but at least that came with Grovers, which have been perfect., In fact, that guitar was great, but I had some Dimarzio pickups that I wanted to try, and went ahead and redid all the wiring and pots/jack/switch while i was at it. But that guitar was actually more playable right out of the box than the PRS. Oh well, under $100 and the PRS should be a little monster.

Thanks for the info on the covers. I wouldn't have guessed they were mismatched like that.
If you're doing the tuners, the Grover 406C is a drop in replacement with zero new holes or hassle to deal with.

19:1 gear ratio and locking are what so many PRS SE owners replace the stock tuners with.

jvin248

Reaction score

Tuning machines don't fix tuning stability issues. Those problems are most often the nut slots. Try graphite powder in the nut slots before replacing the nut. Fret the third fret and check the gap at the first fret, should be 1-2 sheets of photocopier paper if more/less then it needs tuning work. Be careful replacing the nut, I've seen more screw ups there because people think a nut is a pretty simple piece but the setup of it is critical to being in tune and playing easy.

Graphite lube the contact points in the trem and strings on the saddles too.

Nice top on that guitar.

Sledge

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Bud, Yep, those are the ones I am looking at. I'm a little hesitant about the "automatic locking" since I am used to the ones with wheels, but it looks like the only alternative is Schallers at twice the price.

Jvin, you could be right, but I already lubed my nut :Ohno: to no avail. Seems like the consensus is that the SE nuts and tuners are not very good, and are popular replacement items.

Bud Stoner

Premium Member
Reaction score
The original nut I had on my SE was a black, hollowed out inside and a very soft grade of plastic.

That's perhaps the only real weak point on these otherwise amazing guitars.

When I had the nut replaced, I did the level too just to get things perfect and I already had a little fret wear since I was playing it so much.

Victek

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar! Is that the Zebrawood top? I have a couple of Custom 24 SEs. Mine stay in tune well as long as I don't use the whammy bar. I blocked the bridge on one which worked well to stabilize the tuning. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s and don't have a problem with the strings sticking in the nut, but I've heard the Tusq is a good replacement if you do. HNGD!

Last edited:

Sledge

Reaction score
Victek- Yes, Zebrawood, whatever that means, lol. It looks really nice in person. One of the reasons I got this is to be my "trem" guitar, as my other one has a Floyd and I wanted something a little less figgety, I was undecided about 9s or 10s, since the 25" scale length is right between Gibson and Fender, but I went with 10's since the trem makes it easier to do bends.

FBPB - Embrace you latent PRS tendencies and frolic with the rest of us! Mine was on the wall at GC and I got 15% off for 4th of July.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
FWIW, I bought a PRS SE "Orianthi" model in 2012. This is the only year it came with a flamed maple veneer top instead of a red sparkle finish. It is very similar to the Custom 24, but lacks body binding and has an ebony board.

It came ready to play right out of the box, and has never had a tuning problem. It quickly became my #1 guitar. I am sorry that the OP has had tuning problems. To identify the source of these problems, I recommend tuning it up, placing it on a stand, and not playing it for a day or two. If it goes sharp, the problem is that the nut is binding. I have solved this on guitars by sanding the groves with very fine, wet sandpaper and lubing them. If this doesn't happen but strings go flat on bends after tuning. tighten the little screws at the end of the tuning keys. See if that solves the problem before replacing tuners.