NGD..... potentially

Guitar Joe

Reaction score
Man I forgot how much stress buying second hand could be. So first issue over than me feeling funny about where the serial is stamped is how the 3 middle numbers seem different, is that odd? Secondly the serial on the headstock looks to start 10882 but on the inspection sheet it’s 10892. Could be my eyesight so I’m gonna ask for a clearer picture.
EDIT - it is a 9, just has to zoom in to see it lol

Guitar Joe

Reaction score
The more I look at it the more I’m feeling iffy. Just spotted the A string tuner looks to be replaced or different. I’ve asked if he could send better more front facing angle shots of the front and back of the headstock for me. Also asked if he might have the original Andertons receipt which would help put my mind at ease.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Not the same year, not the same bridge,
Yeah but the model number matches up between the website and the guitar's QC checklist card so its likely there was model year bleed-over with maybe some minor hardware changes. Not uncommon with Gibson and these unique non-standard-product-line models.

moreles

Reaction score
One reason why the experts here like pics is demonstrated by this thread, where the casual verbal descriptions carelessly miss actual physical details that show in the pictures -- like the odd tuner. Descriptions almost always fail to capture concrete, critical features; pictures do. If you don't care about changed parts, etc., then "it's all good," as they say. If those details are important, then the experts -- not me, I'm not one -- can really use some good pictures. Looks like a Traditional with some modest mods. As for baked maple, there's nothing seriously wrong with it, but since I think it's ugly and an unnecessary variation on the standard build formula, why buy one?

Guitar Joe

Reaction score
One reason why the experts here like pics is demonstrated by this thread, where the casual verbal descriptions carelessly miss actual physical details that show in the pictures -- like the odd tuner. Descriptions almost always fail to capture concrete, critical features; pictures do. If you don't care about changed parts, etc., then "it's all good," as they say. If those details are important, then the experts -- not me, I'm not one -- can really use some good pictures. Looks like a Traditional with some modest mods. As for baked maple, there's nothing seriously wrong with it, but since I think it's ugly and an unnecessary variation on the standard build formula, why buy one?
Yeah this place is an invaluable resource of help for authenticating potential buys on the second hand market and thanks to all who have chimed in.

As for why buy the guitar with the baked maple board. I get the whole “not being true to original spec of a les paul” thing etc but I mean most les Paul’s have been Swiss cheesed since the 80’s as well as other variations that have come and gone. Also as someone who has never played a baked maple board I’m going in with an open mind and if I like it then great and if I don’t then I’ll avoid them in future.

Basically if this guitar plays great and sounds great then I’d be buying it for those reasons. It’s pretty worn in already so it’s definitely not an investment piece. Would it be good to hold around what I pay for it? Sure but it’ll be getting bought as a player and not with resale in mind (I’ve got other guitars which should hold their value if times ever get that bad - hopefully they don’t). So yeah other than it not being a fake all that will count when I try it is if I like it, and if that’s the case then maybe the maple board could easily be part of the reason I end up liking the guitar and the replaced tuner could be a haggling point (plus I can always change those so it wouldn’t stop me buying the guitar if I really loved it).

Latest Threads