NGD: Possible problems with nut and/or truss Rod - LP Special

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Gibson usually under-slots the nut, so I have to believe that if it came from GC this way, they'd be willing to cover the cost of replacement.
Indeed. They are always pretty much conservative with nut slots, and btw, they do the right way, since half of the string should always be free from contact.

Having the entire string into the slot, it's chocking the vibration, other than causing intonation issues.

I would send it back ASAP.

LP Fan

Reaction score
Send it back ... that nut is just plain awful.

moreles

Reaction score
That nut looks terrible -- crude and improperly done. This is why Gibson tried to force the adjustable nut on people -- because their line workers are not expert enough to make giid nuts. It's a real problem. If I bought it in a shop, I would return it in person and require that it be set up properly, with the nut changed as seems necessary. If I bought it online, I would do that repair mysef, because I can, but most people can't do a really good nut job. Sorry for your problem. It's becoming way too common. Nuts require expert handwork, and many of us have developed this skill simply because we've had to!

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
That nut looks terrible -- crude and improperly done. This is why Gibson tried to force the adjustable nut on people -- because their line workers are not expert enough to make giid nuts. It's a real problem. If I bought it in a shop, I would return it in person and require that it be set up properly, with the nut changed as seems necessary. If I bought it online, I would do that repair mysef, because I can, but most people can't do a really good nut job. Sorry for your problem. It's becoming way too common. Nuts require expert handwork, and many of us have developed this skill simply because we've had to!
He bought it from GC, they sell stuff and take returns and sell them as new again. That nut is so bad it can’t be a Gibson nut, it looks like a GC repair.