NGD: Possible problems with nut and/or truss Rod - LP Special

ns2a

Reaction score
I picked up a new Special this weekend. With the stock strings, it sounded really blah when I got home so I put 9's on it like I do on all my guitars. I got some buzzing up and down the neck on the low E and a little at the A. I raised and lowered the action and get the buzz no matter what. I usually setup by feel, but generally it's about .008" on all my guitars. So that's where it sits - .008"

1) Problem #1: Tried adjusting relief, 1/8 of a turn at a time (and let it settle) and I still get the buzzing. Now, the truss rod can no longer be adjusted to relief. It's totally loose.

2) Problem #2: I think the nut may be slotted too far down. (see pics)

What do you guys think? I'm in my return window so should I just take it back? I assume it can be fixed under warranty, but not sure I want that.

Attachments

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
That nut looks truly awful. Personally I would be taking that straight back while the returns window is still open

ns2a

Reaction score
Eek!
Get a new one. That nut is terrible
That's the other problem. Of the 3 Specials, this was the best one. The others had rough frets and just didn't feel right. I thought the action on this one was a little high, but otherwise ok. When I put the 9's on I noticed the nut more.

Got it at Guitar Center on sale for $599 and the store says they are now out of stock. Not sure what availability will be at the other stores (there are 4 fairly close to me).

Anyway, sounds like it my be best to cut my losses and move on.

But assuming I could fix the nut, anyone think the truss issue is the deal breaker too?

ns2a

Reaction score
Minneapolis.

I ordered 2 Juniors online last summer and didn't bond with them at all. I hate ordering guitars online.

none2low

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles. That nut looks awful and needs to be replaced before you can assess anything.

Which Les Paul Special is this?

Is this one of the GC exclusives models with stopbar and tune-o-matic or is it an original collection Special with wraptail?

Last edited:

integra evan

Reaction score
Ok no help here then....I have 4 GCs close by to me too in NJ and was at one today playing their stock of them, which all seemed to be good.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
#1 - If the nut is cut too deep, you'll get buzzing on the 1st fret.
Fret the strings at the 1st fret and see if it still buzzes... if not, it's the nut, not the truss rod.

#2 - Even if cut to the proper depth, that nut is not cut properly. The strings should not be THAT deep in the slots, meaning, if the slots are the proper depth, the top of the nut needs to be cut down. Textbook, 1/2 of the string should be exposed above the nut (regardless of the height of the slot above the wood). "Tolerable", you can live with the string buried... just barely, but it's really not right.

#3 - What relief are you getting with the loose truss rod? Ideally, it should not be more than a business card thickness... should be around .010" with tension on the rod.

#4 - Return it simply because of #1 and #2

Les Kiwi

Reaction score
That low E and the A string slots look like they have been melted down. Purchase a bone nut slotted for Gibbys and adjust height to taste. Only costs a few dollars and you get a guitar that sounds good and you don't have to get rid of a guitar you like.

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
Here’s the nut on the special I bought today. Guitar plays great. I’m gonna leave it on the stand tonight and see if it needs any tweaks tomorrow. Otherwise I’m very happy with it.

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
I have never seen a nut cut like that from Gibson. This really looks something done by someone else.
Agreed. Gibson usually under-slots the nut, so I have to believe that if it came from GC this way, they'd be willing to cover the cost of replacement.

jcohen339

Reaction score
About 4 years ago, I bought a cheapo Squier Bullet for laughs. The fret ends were never cut at all. GC did it with no cost to me. I would bring it to their attention. If they don't, return it.

Latest Threads