NGD - Orville Les Paul Standard LPS-80F -1994.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Hello all,
I get my first MIJ Les paul last week. It's a Orville Les Paul Standard LPS-80F from 1994. Very nice guitar and it plays fantastic. First i think to upgrade at least pickups but after few hour of playing they sounds just great and i leave it all original.. Here is some pictures.

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! That is a beautiful guitar. :applause:

I bought a '97 Orville Custom a couple of months ago with the intention of upgrading the harness and pickups. But I too decided to leave it stock. Great sounding guitar, and I'm sure yours is too. Those Japanese PAF replica pickups are awesome!

:dude:

moreles

Reaction score
I love Orvilles but disagree about their pickups, which I find utterly mediocre. Mine opened up amazingly with SD Alnico II Pros, which are regularly available on Ebay, cheap. The Orvilles I have seen from the early 90s frequently feature woodwork that is superior in some respects to what Gibson was churning out in the US. On the plus side are a long tenon, vintage-correct headstock and really nice build execution. But there's a downside, too: often, an excessive, heavy finish; crap electronics (unless it's an Orville by Gibson w/ US PUs) and sort-of-cheap tuners. I simply refinished mine entirely, and replaced all the electronics. Because I did a great job on the refin and got parts on EBay, I ended up with a truly superior guitar at a used, cheap Orville price. It's a killer now.

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
Sweet guitar bro :thumb:
Now, I changed out all the electronics in mine with RS pots, PIO caps Switchcraft 3 way & Bareknuckle pickups. To say it improved the guitar is an understatement, it took an already good guitar & put it over the top, made it stellar. I did also put Faber bridge, tailpiece & inserts on it & Gibson tuners from my R9. It will hang with my historics & it destroyed my USA Les Paul's which I ended up selling.

fleahead

Reaction score
I love how even back then, Orvilles had correct non-rounded inlay when Gibson was still churning out the wretched rounded ones...

Tommy71

Reaction score
Thanks for comments guys!
About electronic, maybe i upgrade some CTS pots and new caps later, anyway
this is how control cavity looks. I dont know what pots these are but seems
it Modern wiring:

tosh78

Reaction score
Looks really nice! Congratulations!
I have an Orville too and I have to agree with some of the comments. Even though, the guitar is built is amazing, the electronics and pickups most of the time are not great and replacing them with quality ones improve the guitar a lot.
I love mine and I'm sure you'll love yours too

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
Those should fit just fine as long as it's the same vintage style. They would go right on mine.

El Greco

Reaction score
I think it's bone! All Fujigen LPs that I had over the years, had bone nuts, even the low end Grecos!

Tommy71

Reaction score
I think it's bone! All Fujigen LPs that I had over the years, had bone nuts, even the low end Grecos!
Yeah, i think it was bone nut, but i installed a new bone nut today
because "high E" string was cut too low and it buzz..

Tommy71

Reaction score
Also, upgraded 3-way switch and Pots / caps today.. now the stock pickups sounds even better :)

El Greco

Reaction score
Good job and tidy...my harnesses always look sloppy! Enjoy your Orville man, she looks great! HNGD!

Sirius1969

Reaction score
Hi to all, I wanted to know what are the specifications of these Lps-80F. Can we compare it to a r8, a r9??
If not what are the differences? Thank you!!

Last edited:

Latest Threads