NGD, Original Series SG Junior. Outstanding!!!

jstarr823

Reaction score
@edselman

I’m strongly considering one of these. Undoubtedly, you recommend. What are your thoughts on the neck (profile, width, etc.)?

Cheers!

edselman

Reaction score
@edselman

I’m strongly considering one of these. Undoubtedly, you recommend. What are your thoughts on the neck (profile, width, etc.)?

Cheers!
The neck is the same as my 2018 SG Standard. It's their "Slim Taper" profile. I find it to be quite a contrast from my LP Traditional, to say the least. Very fast and, well, "slim." The edges are rolled as with my SG Standard and the fret ends feel nonexistent.

The only issue I've had as far as quality control is that the rear strap button was screwed in very slightly lop-sided and tight. This caused a half-moon delamination of the lacquer on one side of the button. I solved that by putting on a set of the earlier large Gibson strap buttons. Problem covered up. I don't care for the large ones esthetically but they are secure on a strap.

rich85

Reaction score
Yep I picked up the 2018 model they really have that extra refinement that you would usually expect from the custom shop models.

jstarr823

Reaction score
Came soooo close to getting a 2019 SG JR, but my sales rep over at Sweetwater offered up a phenomenal deal on the new Original Series Special. Both appear to be absolutely killer. It was a VERY tough call, but this will be here tomorrow....

jstarr823

Reaction score
I had both in my sights. Very beautiful. I need one of those too.
It really was a tough call. Asked my sales rep to give me his best price on both. Surprisingly, it was just a few bucks more for the Special. Plus, it’s one of the new Original Series... not the early 2019 “Limited” that some dealers are still selling.

NHDave

Reaction score
Yep I picked up the 2018 model they really have that extra refinement that you would usually expect from the custom shop models.
I agree. Really liked the fret work and the quality of the rosewood board. Thought it was a cut above any of the non custom shop junior/specials from the last few years.

rich85

Reaction score
Oh also the 2018 is hand wired with a different cap though.

Basically the Gibson logo, plastic control cavity plate and capacitor are the only changes they made from 2018 to 2019.

Apart from of course the model year stamp, strap buttons and "only a Gibson is good enough" banner if you want minor details.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Came soooo close to getting a 2019 SG JR, but my sales rep over at Sweetwater offered up a phenomenal deal on the new Original Series Special. Both appear to be absolutely killer. It was a VERY tough call, but this will be here tomorrow....
I really like that metallic red colour. I recently played a friend's SG Tribute and it got me looking at them (again). I already have a 60s Tribute LP GT with P90s, so I don't know if I can justify it though. :(