NGD on Gibsunday - '50s Standard Tobacco Burst

jskidder

Reaction score
Some of you may remember this from the poll I posted a few weeks ago, but I received the guitar yesterday and after patiently waiting to crack it open I've been getting acquainted with it today. My first impression is that this might be the nicest LP I've ever handled. At 8lb 5.6oz, it's incredibly light and feels completely different from my other LPs that are all at least 9.5lb. The neck is pretty much perfect for me, maybe on the lower-middle end of the spectrum of '50s necks (my sweet spot is right around .90-1.00). It plays and sounds fantastic, probably the best player I've got at the moment. Still feeling out the pups, but so far I'm not detecting a lot of difference between the Burstbuckers and the '59 Tributes in my Wildwood Select.

The top on this one is drop-dead gorgeous IMO. The pics I received from the shop and shared in my previous thread really didn't do it justice. I thought the hand-picked top on my Wildwood Select was pretty outrageous, but this one tops it. I'm actually kind of shocked this one isn't AAA-rated, but I've pretty much given up on trying to understand Gibson's logic behind their rating system.

I bought this one from Todd Skaw at Guitars Etc. in Longmont, CO. First time dealing with them and I have to say it was one of the best experiences I've had purchasing a guitar virtually. Wildwood seems to get all the love in that area, but I highly recommend checking out Guitars Etc. if you're in the market for a new guitar. I've dealt with most of the highly reputable dealers out there (Wildwood, CME, Dave's), and I can honestly say Todd is one of the absolute best.

Here are some pics straight out of the case. The pickguard will be coming off later tonight.

IMG_2643 - 1.jpg

IMG_2638 - 2.jpg

IMG_2636 - 3.jpg

IMG_2647 - 4.jpg

IMG_2644 - 5.jpg

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Very nice, good on you sir! The new 50’s are pretty nice. You lucked out on weight, mine is a bit heavier, just a hair over 9.

PauloQS

Reaction score
To me not only the top, but the finish as well had me voting for this one.

Gitter

Reaction score
Great choice! You did good. Play it well!

CattleDog

Reaction score
Very beautiful - congrats! I like it with the pickguard but would be curious to see it without.

That weight is crazy - my Classic is a hair under 10 pounds and it has weight relief!

Latest Threads