NGD...NW: Wildwood Select 50's in Unburst

Pappy35

Reaction score
This video posted a couple of days ago. OMG. That Unburst with that top...makes me think unclean thoughts. :cool:

Mine is a 50's and this is a 60's but for this video that really makes no difference with these standards other than the knobs. I am SUPER-stoked now!!! Got my tracking number and Saturday cannot come soon enough!!!

Pappy35

Reaction score
Here's some data for you nerds out there:

Weight: 8 pounds 15.5 ounces

1st fret: Thickness 0.904" / Width 1.695"

12th fret: Thickness 0.990" / Width: 2.076"

Bridge Pickup DC resistance: 7.25 KOhm
Neck Pickup Resistance: 7.23 kOhm
Wildwood must spec the same pickups in both positions which is good because I like lower output anyways.

Tone pots were all over the place (Vol. / Tone in kOhm)
Bridge: 488 / 515
Neck: 441 / 461

I switched the wiring to true 50's style (switched the volume side of the caps to the wiper and the tone pot side to the input and switched the grounds). Gibson's soldering is pretty poor (the switch harness shield wasn't grounded for instance, it was just hanging in the air). Huge improvement as I found recently when I made the same changes to my Epi 60's Standard. That plus having the harness properly grounded helped too.

I've ordered a new set of matched (+- 5%) "Vintage" Taper pots from The Art of Tone that I used for my Epi upgrade project. To short-circuit any taper discussions: I don't care if they match any real vintage taper curve (which is why I used quotes). I've used these before and I just like they way they work.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
WoW!

Excuse me while I put my eyes back into my sockets. Damn that is nice.

How was it working with Wildwood?

Pappy35

Reaction score
WoW!

Excuse me while I put my eyes back into my sockets. Damn that is nice.

How was it working with Wildwood?
They could not have been better. This was my first online purchase of any guitar, let alone one that cost north of two and half thousand dollars and I peppered them with all kinds of questions. Every one was answered quickly and professionally. Same thing on the phone. I found a very minor scratch on the tailpiece. Email sent, new one's on the way. Seriously, they were great. I need a Strat to round out my collection and I'll be getting it from them without any hesitation.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
They could not have been better. This was my first online purchase of any guitar, let alone one that cost north of two and half thousand dollars and I peppered them with all kinds of questions. Every one was answered quickly and professionally. Same thing on the phone. I found a very minor scratch on the tailpiece. Email sent, new one's on the way. Seriously, they were great. I need a Strat to round out my collection and I'll be getting it from them without any hesitation.
I got my 60s locally from Sam Ash, but when I buy my P90 Gold top, it will likely be from WW.
I've heard nothing bad about them.

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
WildWood really had incredible guitars this year. It seems like they got to go to the head of the line. Love yours. That Unburst on a 50's is killer! Well done!

Pappy35

Reaction score
Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous. Let me know what you think of the pickups, I love my Wildwood Standard and think the Wildwood Spec '59 Tributes sound incredible.
I need to wait on final judgement until I get the new pots installed. I have Seth Lover's on my Epi (with the same pots I have on the way). The Gibson plays worlds better than the Epi (no surprise there) and sounds great but I like the tone of the Epi better at the moment. I may try swapping pickups after I change out the pots just to see.

Last edited:

MiniB

Reaction score
Here's some data for you nerds out there:

Weight: 8 pounds 15.5 ounces

1st fret: Thickness 0.904" / Width 1.695"

12th fret: Thickness 0.990" / Width: 2.076"

Bridge Pickup DC resistance: 7.25 KOhm
Neck Pickup Resistance: 7.23 kOhm
Wildwood must spec the same pickups in both positions which is good because I like lower output anyways.

Tone pots were all over the place (Vol. / Tone in kOhm)
Bridge: 488 / 515
Neck: 441 / 461

I switched the wiring to true 50's style (switched the volume side of the caps to the wiper and the tone pot side to the input and switched the grounds). Gibson's soldering is pretty poor (the switch harness shield wasn't grounded for instance, it was just hanging in the air). Huge improvement as I found recently when I made the same changes to my Epi 60's Standard. That plus having the harness properly grounded helped too.

I've ordered a new set of matched (+- 5%) "Vintage" Taper pots from The Art of Tone that I used for my Epi upgrade project. To short-circuit any taper discussions: I don't care if they match any real vintage taper curve (which is why I used quotes). I've used these before and I just like they way they work.
Like mine, yours came with pickups that essentially measure the same DC. For now I put a spare '57 Classic plus in the bridge position because I like a bit more meat there. I might get a custom Wolfetone or the like. I also switched the wiring to 50's. I have a set of RS super-pots along with their PIO caps, but for now, the stock harness is working fine.

Last edited:

Pappy35

Reaction score
Like mine, yours came with pickups that essentially measure the same DC. For now I put a spare '57 Classic plus in the bridge position because I like a bit more meat there. I might get a custom Wolfetone or the like. I also switched the wiring to 50's. I have a set of RS super-pots along with their PIO caps, but for now, the stock harness is workmen fine.
I might start with switching just the neck pickups. The Lover bridge is 7.9 kOhms vs. 7.23 for the Wildwood spec. We'll see. Pots and caps first...

MiniB

Reaction score
Might also switch to Grover tuners. Also, did your nut come essentially unshaped? Mine did, with slots cut deep into it for proper height...but the nut itself looked like it was set up for lap steel. Had my tech shape it down. Guitar still played fine, but the nut was just a big square-edged thing...strange that it left like that.

Pappy35

Reaction score
Might also switch to Grover tuners. Also, did your nut come essentially unshaped? Mine did, with slots cut deep into it for proper height...but the nut itself looked like it was set up for lap steel. Had my tech shape it down. Guitar still played fine, but the nut was just a big square-edged thing...strange that it left like that.
One of the reasons I wanted the 50's was for the tuners (I like the look is about it). The nut on mine seemed perfectly shaped. It doesn't even have the nitro crack line you see so often on some of these about halfway up the side of the nuts. That tan goop near the cover screw is leftover buffing compound. There's a bunch around the perimeter of the control cavity covers too that I'll clean up later. Amazing what you can find when you take close ups with today's fancy camera phones.

PS - that bit under the E string is just a bit of debris.

IMG_20200918_124949.jpg

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
My 60s nut.
Not the best in the world, but better than many.

LPNut.jpg

MiniB

Reaction score
THat's good...mine came looking like a brick. I like the look of the old Klusons too, but I like the tuning and sound benefits of the heavier Grovers.

Last edited:

Pappy35

Reaction score
Yeah. My Epi's got Grovers and I can feel the difference between the 18 and 14 to 1 ratios.

Latest Threads