NGD...NW: Wildwood Select 50's in Unburst

Pappy35

Reaction score
Perfect timing. The shop that was selling my Tom Anderson called today to tell me the sale finalized and the check was in the mail. An hour later, Wildwood got in a new batch of their Select Original Collection Les Paul's! I snagged the only 50's version they got. It wasn't on their site for more than 20 minutes!

It checked all my boxes: very nice top, not just another cherry burst, nice chunky neck at 0.920" at the 1st fret, and just a hair under 9 pounds! I don't know what Gibson is feeding their mahogany trees these days but the other 8 they got it are all really heavy. The next lightest one weighs in a 9.5 pounds and the heaviest was 11 and 3/4! It'll ship Tuesday so I'll have it end of next week. I just couldn't wait that long to post a couple of pics though.

I was about to pull the trigger on a CS '58 they had that I liked but I think I was "settling" for that one because they were out of these for so long.

NGD...NW = New Guitar Day...Next Week

207000180_lg4.jpg

207000180_lg3.jpg

Bend'n'Slide

Reaction score
Wow — that’s pretty!
Unburst was always such a no-brainer for including in the options for the Standard ‘50s. I’m glad Wildwood used it in their limited runs.

Congratulations!!
Enjoy, and play it in good health!

:applause:

Pappy35

Reaction score
Wow — that’s pretty!
Unburst was always such a no-brainer for including in the options for the Standard ‘50s.
My first-ever Les Paul was a 2020 Epi 60's Standard. I've posted on here extensively about it. Prior to, I was a Strat-type only for 35+ years. So I get the Epi. Love it. And I mean, LOVE it! I updated the electronics (CTS pots, PIO caps) and wired it 50's style with a set of SD Seth Lovers. Heaven. I've been playing more in the last 5 months than I have in the last two years. I learned about 20 new songs because the LP sound just goes with my music (duh, 70's Rock!). The Epi's only fault is that the poly is laid on really thick and the frets are crap. I had to have a luthier crown and level them because they were notched and fretted out excessively and that's after I tinkered with it.

I think the Epi was the Les Paul auditioning to play the part of my guitar. It got the role!

I started looking for a real Les Paul a week or two into August and stumbled upon Wildwood. I love the professional images, weight, and neck thickness data they provide; all the key info one needs in lieu of an in-person session to weed out all the non-hackers. I took to the Dark Cherry bursts and awesome tops of their Select line. Day-um! B-e-a-utiful!

They ran out of 50's but I noticed one in Unburst a few days before it sold and it left an impression. I started thinking more about that finish, looked a few up, and man, that imitation faded burst thing plus those tops really started gnawing at me. I HAD to have one and I've been obsessively refreshing their "New Arrivals" page ever since.

This one popped up an hour after the consignment sale of my other expensive guitar (a drop dead gorgeous Tom Anderson Drop Top Classic) finalized and the seller called to say the check is in the mail. It checked all the boxes as I mentioned before, funding was in place. POW, it's mine!

Last edited:

timmytVA

Reaction score
Man, that’s nice. Looks like a top you’d see on a custom shop guitar.

Tim

MiniB

Reaction score
There we go! Nice score, from someone who got the same guitar weeks back! Looks great.

Pappy35

Reaction score
Good thing it showed up when it did. I was just an hour away from pulling the trigger on a custom shop '58. :cool:

MiniB

Reaction score
Good thing it showed up when it did. I was just an hour away from pulling the trigger on a custom shop '58. :cool:
Had a few R8's...just couldn't deal with the neck size and small frets any more, and couldn't really swing the extra $$ for an R9. These USA Std's are good platforms/players....what I 'lose' in vintage woodiness and vibe I gain in playability and comfort.

MiniB

Reaction score
My last one was .93 to 1.01, but the shoulders are what made it feel so huge. The USA Std I got is .89 - 1.00 with a nice even C shape and feels great.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
My last one was .93 to 1.01, but the shoulders are what made it feel so huge. The USA Std I got is .89 - 1.00 with a nice even C shape and feels great.
For comparison, here's my Gibson necks:

2020 SG Standard - Depth @ 1st 0.8500", depth @ 12th 0.9875"
2019 LP Standard '60s - Depth @ 1st 0.8055", depth @ 12th 0.8970"
2019 Flying V - Depth @ 1st 0.8115", depth @ 12th 0.8605"

Interesting that the V is a bit thicker than the LP at the 1st, but doesn't fatten up quite as much.
The SG is an absolute baseball bat by comparison... yet I like all three necks.

Pappy35

Reaction score
My current Epi 60's is at 0.838" at the 1st. The other 50's I briefly owned (for 2 days) was 0.888." This one, 0.93 is going to be even chunkier. I'm looking forward to it.

MiniB

Reaction score
For comparison, here's my Gibson necks:

2020 SG Standard - Depth @ 1st 0.8500", depth @ 12th 0.9875"
2019 LP Standard '60s - Depth @ 1st 0.8055", depth @ 12th 0.8970"
2019 Flying V - Depth @ 1st 0.8115", depth @ 12th 0.8605"

Interesting that the V is a bit thicker than the LP at the 1st, but doesn't fatten up quite as much.
The SG is an absolute baseball bat by comparison... yet I like all three necks.
When I recently got a 2019 ES-335, the medium (.86 - .98) neck felt like a twig at first compared to my R8. But then I got more used to it and that's what prompted me to sell the R8 and get a USA Standard to more closely resemble the medium profile on the 335. Now both necks feel just right to me...not disturbingly thin and not overly huge. I was also interested in an SG standard batwing because of that medium neck profile.

My current Epi 60's is at 0.838" at the 1st. The other 50's I briefly owned (for 2 days) was 0.888." This one, 0.93 is going to be even chunkier. I'm looking forward to it.
.93 is substantial, but it probably won't feel like baseball bat, like R8's can. I had a Historic '59 ES-335 which has a similar neck profile to the R8, and I eventually couldn't deal with that either. I found the the shoulders are what make all the difference. When I was getting some fretwork done, the luthier let me play his '99 R7, and that neck shape was perfect...not big and clubby like they became. I really think Gibson went overboard with their Historic neck thicknesses.

Last edited:

Latest Threads