NGD: NOS 2014 R7 Gloss. What's up with yellow dye?

trapland

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I just got a new R7 goldtop. It is one of the most perfectly built Les
Paul's I have ever seen, let alone owned. The finish is perfect, the binding is perfect, the tone is perfect. I'm used to Rs having some "hand made" qualities to them such as orange peel beside the high frets bindings and and body, signs of oversanding, chipped lacquer on the nut ends, the usual stuff that you learn to love that makes it,your guitar.

This one is definitely one Gibson can be proud of. Because there is no figuring on the top to distract me (it's clearly flamey under the gold), I payed more attention to the workmanship details in the store and it's great.

I wonder how long Gibson made "2014" models. This one is NOS, with everything including the original box and yet shows no signs of shopwear. I know this store sells lots of guitars and it seems unlikely it had this 2014 sitting around for 2+ years. Anyway, just wondering. And how common were GLOSS Historics in 2014?

The dye! It's got a dye/pore filler on the mahogany that is yellow. It's slathered on pretty thick in the cavity. I don't have anything else here recent without cherry filler so I was wondering if yellow was typical, as in previous years I say mostly cream or light brown filler. And is it aniline dye? Will it fade to cream in the pores? Also will the dye bleed "yellow" into the binding? I'm curious about that one as my r9 binding is bright red from bleed and this R7 has no visible yellowing in the clear coat.

Anyone with firsthand experience with R7 dye and gloss models?

alnico59

Reaction score
Can't help but like to say HNGD! Glad to see somebody is making the best of the current situation. Can you post some pics?

KBMelb

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I just got a new R7 goldtop. It is one of the most perfectly built Les
Paul's I have ever seen, let alone owned. The finish is perfect, the binding is perfect, the tone is perfect. I'm used to Rs having some "hand made" qualities to them such as orange peel beside the high frets bindings and and body, signs of oversanding, chipped lacquer on the nut ends, the usual stuff that you learn to love that makes it,your guitar.

This one is definitely one Gibson can be proud of. Because there is no figuring on the top to distract me (it's clearly flamey under the gold), I payed more attention to the workmanship details in the store and it's great.

I wonder how long Gibson made "2014" models. This one is NOS, with everything including the original box and yet shows no signs of shopwear. I know this store sells lots of guitars and it seems unlikely it had this 2014 sitting around for 2+ years. Anyway, just wondering. And how common were GLOSS Historics in 2014?

The dye! It's got a dye/pore filler on the mahogany that is yellow. It's slathered on pretty thick in the cavity. I don't have anything else here recent without cherry filler so I was wondering if yellow was typical, as in previous years I say mostly cream or light brown filler. And is it aniline dye? Will it fade to cream in the pores? Also will the dye bleed "yellow" into the binding? I'm curious about that one as my r9 binding is bright red from bleed and this R7 has no visible yellowing in the clear coat.

Anyone with firsthand experience with R7 dye and gloss models?
Someone on here a while back posted pics of their GT with some thick yellow goop under the clear coat around the control cavity.They were concerned it was glue but I think it was deduced that it was pore filler.

I'd say yes it will bleed into the binding. I have a B4 that obviously has red pore filler because it bled into the binding and turned it pink. It has mostly faded now from exposing to sun light.

Low Gain

Reaction score
My R7 has some yellow dying in the binding where the neck meets the body. No problem for me ...

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Dave's still has 2 gloss 2014 spec NOS for sale, and up until about last october had a gloss R9 which I almost pulled the trigger on in 2014....They were making 2014 spec guitars well into 2015, and during the TH introduction/fiasco (depending on which side you are on) they were still being made, but the only difference being the serial numbers which probably switched sometime in early Jan/Feb.

2016 saw the R included in the serial, but still, the specs are all 2013+ (long tenon, hide glue, single layer board etc...). Yes more than likely your 14 R7 sat for about 2-3yrs before finding its proper owner. As to amount of Gloss reissues made, I don't know exact numbers but if I had to guess, they tend to do more VOS from what I've seen than gloss, going by listings. I prefer gloss but have had several VOS which I just buff to a gloss because I don't like the VOS finish they slop on.

jamman

Reaction score
I can't answer your question about the dye , since I haven't seen 1 in hand .

Your question as to how long has Gibson been producing the "2014"s . ....
Is .. non stop since 2014 until now and appears to be into the future .....

2014 "specs" are still being used as recently as 2016, since they are the in demand and selling (think price as the driving force for them)...
So the serial #'s have also used the 2014 Spec format(If I understand correctly) ...
It's possible the guitar you've bought as "New Old Stock" wasn't laying around for years ... It may have been made ,relatively recently ....with a 2014 # stamped on it ...
A call to Gibson (with the serial #) would get you the Date it was shipped out , and that gives you a closer time frame as to when it was built ...
Also looking at the side of the pots , should give you a stamped code for when they were made , and is another way to narrow down tom it's date of build .

trapland

Reaction score
My R7 has some yellow dying in the binding where the neck meets the body. No problem for me ...
Cool. My R8 had a little girl pinking. My R9 is vivid red all along the neck and where my forearm rests. I like it. I'm especially hoping the yellow bleeds. It will make a gloss finish with no visible amber in the top coat eventually look like real yellowing.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Dave's still has 2 gloss 2014 spec NOS for sale, and up until about last october had a gloss R9 which I almost pulled the trigger on in 2014....They were making 2014 spec guitars well into 2015, and during the TH introduction/fiasco (depending on which side you are on) they were still being made, but the only difference being the serial numbers which probably switched sometime in early Jan/Feb.

2016 saw the R included in the serial, but still, the specs are all 2013+ (long tenon, hide glue, single layer board etc...). Yes more than likely your 14 R7 sat for about 2-3yrs before finding its proper owner. As to amount of Gloss reissues made, I don't know exact numbers but if I had to guess, they tend to do more VOS from what I've seen than gloss, going by listings. I prefer gloss but have had several VOS which I just buff to a gloss because I don't like the VOS finish they slop on.
I don't see any gold tops at Dave's

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I don't see any gold tops at Dave's
they're R9's I wasn't talking or specifying any particular model, just saying that dave's still has 2 2014 spec NOS guitars for sale.

Latest Threads