NGD/New member - '22 R8 VOS

Ty89m

Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forum, and while I've owned a few Les Paul's over the years, I just finally snagged my first custom shop guitar - a lovely '58 plain top reissue in iced tea burst. It's currently acclimating in the box, but will gladly post a photo once I get her unboxed!

Also, I'm in a position to grab a new CS SG, likely a '64 reissue and am debating the finish. I've scoured this forum about the Murphy Lab stuff, and am a bit hesitant due to the issues I've seen as far as flaking etc.

I'd be going the ultra light route if I went ML, and from the photos it doesn't appear to have any flaking issues, but still a bit apprehensive. The guitar I'm looking at was built in November of '21, so fairly recent build. I suppose my main question to the ML folks: is flaking to some degree expected on the ML guitars due to the formula/thinness of the nitro used? In a perfect world, I'd like it to remain in the state it currently sits - mild checking etc - and while I'm fully aware that it'll get the usual dings/scratches, I'd hate to have the finish peel/flake clean off!

I'm not usually one for relic's, but I'm finding myself drawn to the VOS/ML stuff, as it just adds some much needed character over the run of the mill standards I'm used to. But as I've seen posts showing ML guitars with flaking issues with similar build dates as this one, I can't help but question whether I'd be better off waiting a bit longer.

Unfortunately I'm not even remotely close to a shop that carries any of the ML (or VOS stuff for that matter) so I'm stuck with online retailers.

Edit:

Got 'er unboxed! So far so good! Far from a "pretty" top, but I really dig it. Like I said, this is my first CS and first VOS style finish - I'm usually pretty anal/ocd about swirl marks and scratches, but there's something freeing about this finish - it's a bit dull and swirled already, which means I'll spend less time stressing over it and more time playing the darn thing.
58 Reissue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
:welcome: to MLP, a proud place for LP Misfits and Crazy's!

Can't wait to see the pics. :photos:

Ty89m

Reaction score
:welcome: to MLP, a proud place for LP Misfits and Crazy's!

Can't wait to see the pics. :photos:

Quick photo before bed - Wildwood did a great job on the setup, and I'm looking forward to spending some time with it tomorrow!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Far from a "pretty" top, but I really dig it.
It's beautiful! Congrats and HNGD

P.S. Gibson has rectified the ML nitro problems, so as long as you buy a new one you shouldn't have issues with flaking finish.

ManicPete

Reaction score
Incredible finish.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow R8 owner.

Please post more photos!

CyFan

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a beautiful plain top! It just wants to rock!

Dilver

Reaction score
I like the grain and the mineral streak - it adds character. Congrats!

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it and welcome to the forum

none2low

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats!! Love the color and grain. Nice dark fretboard to go along with it as well. Enjoy and play in good health.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know.... I'd call that a great looking plain top! mineral streaks !!!!:dude:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! And a killer Plain Top. Congrats

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:wave: Ty and :welcome: to the MLPF!

Very pretty LP you have! Congrats, HNGD :jam: and play her in good health!

Latest Threads