NGD: my first R9

pillbug

Reaction score
2007 R9 Iced Tea Burst. Looks and sounds great. The frets feel a little low/flat kind of like a "fretless wonder" custom. Would that have been normal for this model & year? Or is it a sign that the frets have been filed/polished down with age and less remaining life in them?

IMG_1627.jpeg

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Congrats. Hard for anyone to answer your question but historics do come with wider/lower frets than USA models if this is the first you've played. I wouldn't call them fretless wonder low, though.

calieng

Reaction score
Congrats! Pretty top and nice color.

From the pic it sure looks like the frets are fine and maybe are a refret? Are the binding nibs still on the end of the frets? But either way lots of height for a Les Paul from what I can see.

calieng

Reaction score
Couple suggestions for you.....

You do not want the wire retainer bridge and it may have sunk a little in the center already. But if it is working fine for now then no worries.

Last edited:

Mockbel

Reaction score
Congratulations for that beauty... and yes, historics have lower frets than USA models.. I noticed that on my R8

teleboli

Reaction score
Congrats!

Gibson was working it's way through a batch of especially nice Honduran hog that year if I remember correctly.

Enjoy!

pillbug

Reaction score
Couple suggestions for you.....

You do not want the wire retainer bridge and it may have sunk a little in the center already. But if it is working fine for now then no worries.
Thanks. Which thicknesses do I want on those thumb wheels?

43097A80-046D-4110-AE42-3C39815F7307.jpeg

pillbug

Reaction score
Congrats! Pretty top and nice color.

From the pic it sure looks like the frets are fine and maybe are a refret? Are the binding nibs still on the end of the frets? But either way lots of height for a Les Paul from what I can see.
Nibs are still there.

image.jpg

mjross

Reaction score
2007 R9 Iced Tea Burst. Looks and sounds great. The frets feel a little low/flat kind of like a "fretless wonder" custom. Would that have been normal for this model & year? Or is it a sign that the frets have been filed/polished down with age and less remaining life in them?

View attachment 537575
Nice, congrats!

Latest Threads