NGD - My First (Gibson) Les Paul

Marfrackintinez

Reaction score
Hello. I'm brand new to the forums.

Today I traded in my Epi Les Paul Standard for this new 2019 Les Paul Classic. GC gave me a good deal and I ended up only paying $1750 out the door for this beauty. I just want to share a story:

IMG_20191106_001005.jpg
So I grew up rather poor with just my mom and I. She got me a Washburn Lyon on my 15th birthday and I played it to death. I used to hang out at the local guitar shop. The employees and the owner were good people, and they'd even let me change the strings on some of the guitars in the showroom.

Life happens, and sometimes we put things on hold for family, success, jobs, or whatever comes along. Off and on I put guitar to the side in order to focus on other things. When I finally was stable and able to support myself and my mom, I remember buying the Epi LP Standard for around $550. It was the best guitar I'd ever owned.

I recently finished grad school and now I'm working professionally. Playing guitar is more about mental therapy these days. It helps clear my mind from all of the extra stuff that saps my energy. Finally having the financial means, I made the decision to buy a Gibson.

I love this guitar. The bb's have a warmth at the neck and the bridge pickups have that signature growl. I love the color, feel of the neck, and it's okay that it's still heavy! I'm indifferent about the push/pull pots. If there's one thing that was lacking...there was no blanket in the case!

After I'd purchased my LP, the tech put on some 10 gauge strings and adjusted the height for me. While we were talking, a little kid (around 10 years old) came up to the workbench. His eyes were huge as he looked at the guitar and then the case. He was mesmerized by the guitar, and just kinda stood there gazing until his father came to get him. Seeing him look at my Les Paul reminded me how I'd look at those Gold Tops and Sunbursts way back in my childhood. Hopefully, he'll grow up and have an important NGD like me.

TL;DR - I bought my dream guitar. Never lose sight of what you love.

Thank you for letting me share my new guitar with you. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

IMG_20191106_001429.jpg

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice wine red color. Classy. Welcome to the club.

JMP

Reaction score
Great story and congratulations! Enjoy that LP and never part with it.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Congrats and :welcome:to the MLP,..... beautiful first Gibson..... (i'm still like that little kid when i see these things)....

Enjoy in good health,.... cheers:cheers:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
That's a great story that expresses the same sentiment a lot of us have had when acquiring our first Gibson LP. Thanks for sharing.

Any Gibson in wine red gets a thumbs up from me :)

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Very well told. Thank you for sharing your story and your very beautiful guitar.

EndGame00

Reaction score
The 2019 LP Classic are more affordable now than the first batch of 2019 Classic that came out in Sept 2018... I paid mine $2200.. that was my mistake. I should have waited...

Needless to say, I love mine....

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD! That is a beautiful LP. Love your story - thanks for sharing it. Don't forget to post a thread on the "Introductions" forum here.
:welcome:

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Now you have one of your own-cool feeling isnt it-:welcome::welcome::welcome:

anorton

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more pics! Love that wine red! Thanks for a great, well told story. Congratulations on your first Gibson Les Paul.