NGD my 1st Norlin LP + bonus freebie!!

Rick67

Reaction score
I picked this 1976 Wine Red Standard up on Clist this morning, he wanted 1500 obo. I offered 1400 and he said ok. I met up with him and bought it, he then said that he replaced the original pickups w2/Gibson 57' Classic Zebras. He said he bought it from the original owner 10 years ago and changed the pickups a short time after. As I was walking to my car he says "hey did you want the old pickups, they are nothing special?" I said surer if your giving them to me for free I'll take em. So he hands me to very nice Gibson hard plastic pickup cases. The 1st case an EMG select piece of crap pup, the second had a Seymour Duncan, I said thanks and went home. When I got I took a look at the back of the SD and was shocked at what I saw!

Attachments

JMP

Reaction score
Sweet guitar. Nice deal! And a bonus JB.......awesome!

bblooz

Reaction score
Congrats on your nice looking Norlin LP!
Does that SD PU read JB J?

Last edited:

Rick67

Reaction score
Congrats on your nice looking Norlin LP!
Does that SD PU read JB J?
YES! And for those of you that don't know that "J" means this pickup was hand wound by Seymour Duncan Custom Shop manager Maricela Juarez. She is considered to be a legendary pickup maker and these are Holy Grial pickups!

bblooz

Reaction score
Good to know, I have one in my parts box - what are they worth?

Rick67

Reaction score
Good to know, I have one in my parts box - what are they worth?
I saw this one on Reverb

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I commissioned an SD custom shop pickup that ended being wound by her.

ARandall

Reaction score
YES! And for those of you that don't know that "J" means this pickup was hand wound by Seymour Duncan Custom Shop manager Maricela Juarez.
Just as long as you know nothing production line in Duncan is hand wound. The extent of the 'winder' part in the winding of pickups is the threading of the start wire and the cutting off of the wire at the end of the fully automated machine wind. So unless the mojo of the pickup is all in the first and last 2" of wire in the pickup, you'll be sadly disappointed that it will sound no different to any other JB of the era.
The upside is that anyone foolish enough to buy into the myth will give you good money for the pickup upon selling it.....so a small win there.

Pity there weren't 2 t-tops in there.

Mockbel

Reaction score
WOW..
I think I should consider getting a cherry red Les Paul some time..
It looks beautiful... congratulations !

grumphh

Reaction score
Just as long as you know nothing production line in Duncan is hand wound. The extent of the 'winder' part in the winding of pickups is the threading of the start wire and the cutting off of the wire at the end of the fully automated machine wind. So unless the mojo of the pickup is all in the first and last 2" of wire in the pickup, you'll be sadly disappointed that it will sound no different to any other JB of the era.
The upside is that anyone foolish enough to buy into the myth will give you good money for the pickup upon selling it.....so a small win there.
I have always wondered how marketing has been able to dupe customers into thinking that the untrained staff operating the (automated) machines could in any way be responsible for the quality of the product.

Next: "These guitars were manufactured on a floor kept spotlessly clean by Luisa "Abuelita" Gomez for 35 years - after she retired guitar quality went down, because she used brujeria to help her in her work..."

...guess the last one hasn't been born yet :D

If at least they mentioned the technician servicing the machines (and adjusting them to optimal specs), that might make a bit of sense, as in: "This pickup was wound on a machine adjusted and calibrated by John Jones - the man who really knew his pickup winders!"

Last edited: