NGD Murphy Lab R9. You must be kidding

Pageburst

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The relic “haters” and I use the term loosely, have been fairly respectful in this thread. That said why is it necessary to comment on someone’s aesthetic taste. Seriously it’s like saying you don’t understand why people like red guitars on a thread about red guitars.

The car analogy is not in anyway analogous. Perhaps smartly broken in jeans or distressed reclaimed floors would be more akin to relicd guitars. I don’t particularly like shiny guitars. They often feel stiff to me. And I partIcularly dislike the poly jewel like finish and tight matched flame maple or quilt on most PRSses. However, I wouldn’t go on a PRS thread incredulously challenging the sense of those that like these guitars.

Murphy Lab IMO has some work to do. For now, I’ll age my new shiny guitars by my own hands naturally. My 2015 TH59 looks like a 30 year old battle hardened axe so it shouldn’t take much time. Still, if I find a well aged LP with a great top, it will definitely be on my short list.

Let me open by stating I believe in “each to his own” but…
I just don’t see the allure in paying big bucks to buy an artificially aged anything trying to mimic something from decades ago. No matter what is done to it, it is still a brand new manufactured item.
It’s like the kids buying jeans ripped and worn with gaping holes in them. That’s the stuff I throw out. I don’t get it.
That’s just me though. Imagine buying a new car with door dings, worn paint, rotted out muffler? For only $85,000.00?

Last edited:

Pageburst

Reaction score
Here's what you have to look forward too: I only had the guitar for 2 weeks and not even played yet. The only UL I was considering keeping. Will be calling the merchant to return today because even more of the finish feels like it is ready to flake off and it looked a lot better than yours at the neck joint originally. Gibson will have a lot of returns and warranty work with these.

View attachment 543184

View attachment 543185

I appreciate the heads up. I’ve already decided to keep the guitar. I like the top, the tone, rosewood board and the neck carve. If a few bits of nitro flake off so be it. I don’t really care much, it will probably get dinged as well. I remember my shiny new brazilian got a ding right on its top a few days after I bought it. It bothered me for all of an hour. Now it’s like a beauty mark.

I will say that a highly variegated or striped rosewood board on an LP or Strat is a non starter for me. I guess we all have our pet peeves

Six6String6

Reaction score
The relic “haters” and I use the term loosely, have been fairly respectful in this thread. That said why is it necessary to comment on someone’s aesthetic taste. Seriously it’s like saying you don’t understand why people like red guitars on a thread about red guitars.

The car analogy is not in anyway analogous. Perhaps smartly broken in jeans or distressed reclaimed floors would be more akin to relicd guitars. I don’t particularly like shiny guitars. They often feel stiff to me. And I partIcularly dislike the poly jewel like finish and tight matched flame maple or quilt on most PRSses. However, I wouldn’t go on a PRS thread incredulously challenging the sense of those that like these guitars.

Murphy Lab IMO has some work to do. For now, I’ll age my new shiny guitars by my own hands naturally. My 2015 TH59 looks like a 30 year old battle hardened axe so it shouldn’t take much time. Still, if I find a well aged LP with a great top, it will definitely be on my short list.

My humble apologies. I guess I should have toned that down a bit. I truly respect your opinion and your right to love what you do. I was only trying to express my side of the coin and maybe it was a little overboard?
May I explain a bit differently.

I would love to own a 1962 Ferrari GTO. Specially an actual race winning example of one, signs of wear very much not an issue. But I can’t afford 48 million dollars which is what they go for at auction. What I would NOT want is for Ferrari to make me a brand new one which looks exactly like the 1962 car and sell it to me for $800,000 over the price of a current production model. It’s not the same thing in any universe.
I think the car analogy is rather the same, do you not agree?

Again, my apologies if I came across to bluntly. I lack certain social graces at times. I only meant to express another side to it.

Pageburst

Reaction score
My humble apologies. I guess I should have toned that down a bit. I truly respect your opinion and your right to love what you do. I was only trying to express my side of the coin and maybe it was a little overboard?
May I explain a bit differently.

I would love to own a 1962 Ferrari GTO. Specially an actual race winning example of one, signs of wear very much not an issue. But I can’t afford 48 million dollars which is what they go for at auction. What I would NOT want is for Ferrari to make me a brand new one which looks exactly like the 1962 car and sell it to me for $800,000 over the price of a current production model. It’s not the same thing in any universe.
I think the car analogy is rather the same, do you not agree?

Again, my apologies if I came across to bluntly. I lack certain social graces at times. I only meant to express another side to it.

Apologies are unnecessary. And don’t get me wrong, I can understand why some folks don’t like relics. I remember some Fender Strats from several years ago that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. Unnatural wear patterns completely imho over the top. I quietly shook my head but hey some folks dig em.

For me it’s more about a broken in feel and an aged patina. Think of jeans. Some people may like new stiff deep Blueblack indigo denim. Other prefer their jeans broken in a bit, I’m not talking about torn to shreds. Just a bit softer.

The reason for my reply is that it seems without fail these threads deteriorate into a judgement call on relics which seems absurd to me because it’s all subjective. Like red vs blue guitars.

I’d love a 62 GTO too and if Ferrari would build an exact replica for $800k over the price of a new one it would be the deal of the century. But I wouldn’t hold my breath and I don’t think fake wear would be welcome. Gibson already builds a production 59 historic Les Paul which is available in a glossy, Vos and now aged finishes as well as a variety of sunburst colors. This finish choice is a far cry from a completely recreated Ferrari. If you want to use a car analogy then look at matte finishes. Imho these sometimes look like a coat of primer.

Btw, Great taste in cars but I’m a Porsche lover. Ferraris are too red and shiny for me. Lol

amorrow

Reaction score
I like my cars shiny and guitars beat up!

Mhqxr61.jpg

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my cars shiny and guitars beat up!

Mhqxr61.jpg
Reminds me of a conversation i had with a chap at Chattanooga shooting supplies many years ago, before 9/11 it was quite amazing what i got sent through international post, now they can't even send a scope ffs, lol. Anyways i was telling him about my english best gun, grade 5 hand oiled walnut stock, best english blueing, fleur-de-lys engraving, custom made for me, and he replied, 'sounds a pretty gun, but i like women pretty and my guns ugly.' Seemed a fair point.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that is exactly what they are doing now. It takes too much time to hand cut those checking lines in by hand, with a razor.
This is what it looks like to me too. The checking looks a bit more natural and "imperfect" like the razor checking.

For what its worth...I think the aging on the OP's guitar looks fine.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I don’t own relics, but I can see the appeal. People buy replica old muscle cars. Granted, they are not relic’d, but my point is some people have an affinity for an antique without paying $250,000-500,000! Some people like the feel of a “worn in guitar “

I’m getting a VOS used. That’s my tolerance for ageism. But if I won the lottery, yeah I’d enjoy getting some relics if they were awesome examples

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
I appreciate the heads up. I’ve already decided to keep the guitar. I like the top, the tone, rosewood board and the neck carve. If a few bits of nitro flake off so be it. I don’t really care much, it will probably get dinged as well. I remember my shiny new brazilian got a ding right on its top a few days after I bought it. It bothered me for all of an hour. Now it’s like a beauty mark.

I will say that a highly variegated or striped rosewood board on an LP or Strat is a non starter for me. I guess we all have our pet peeves

All the finish from the edge of the neck heel to the other side of the strap button is eventually going to come off. With brittle finish like that once it has started to lift off the wood it is game over. Moisture will get underneath. Just a matter of time.

Press down firmly on the finish with your finger and see if any cracks and comes loose already.

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 8.45.36 AM.png

zdoggie

Reaction score
absolutely not into the ML hype I'm old school let it age naturally if you want an antique looking guitar by all means go buy it.

zdog

calieng

Banned
Reaction score
absolutely not into the ML hype I'm old school let it age naturally if you want an antique looking guitar by all means go buy it.

zdog

It's not just about the aging but the nitro finish with less plasticizer. I think they just formulated it a bit too brittle. And the thicker finish on the UL aged models do not take the freezing as well. I would love a vintage nitro finish on a VOS style Les Paul.

Some of the heavy aged ML models are a work of art.

Last edited:

Fredo

Reaction score
I did not like reliced guitars until I got one, believe it or not.
Had an opportunity to buy a CC at a fair price, which I seized because of the quality of the instrument first and foremost, wanting a high-end LP. Thought the aging really gives the guitar a character when I got it, though it's a new one. One could say it's the opposite of bling bling.

I guess relicing is for those who love the old school patina and aesthetic vibe but cannot afford a real vintage one. It's great that we are all different, there is something for everybody. The debate (like there should be a debate ?! just a matter of taste) has probably decades to live on.

I think the analogy with car is usually not appropriate, though I get it's the one coming first in one's head. Reclaimed coffee tables, new furnitures with old style patina, or newly built distressed brick-exposed walls are more a thing to compare it with IMHO

Cheers guys
Great guitars on this thread!

Last edited:

Thestratophile

Reaction score
I’ve yet to understand the aging/relic hype - the intentional dinging, checking & butchering of guitars is such a strange phenomenon to me - this is a prime example - a beautifully stunning guitar that was f’d up by the so called “Murphy lab” - not trying to sound like a hater or start a heated debate, I just don’t get it - I can’t stand the “Murphy lab” moniker too - he’s not even the one freaking aging the guitars anymore :dunno: - sorry for ranting, I hope I’m not offending anyone.
I did the whole relicing thing with Strats 15 years ago and moved on (from relicing and Strats ... kinda), now I like my guitars to carry my ageing the ageing that comes from hours of playing ... well I thought I'd moved. on, until ...
I was in the market for an R9 and I found a Murphy Lab light aged R9 at a ridiculous price second hand, so in a moment of madness bought it .. online (what was I thinking?). And then 'she' arrived. Oh my, instant love that has just grown with every day I play her. The more I play the better it gets, the more lived in it feels and I like the whole vintage vibe even if it doesn't stack up to the real thing. I will never own or probably even play a burst and the closest I've go to one is having some good seats to see JB play a couple of years back.
However 'she' gives me a slice of the excitement and passion I feel for bursts and I swear my playing has improved.
I have a VOS 59 reissue 335 and I already got he unpotted custom bucker thing (it took a while but once tamed they're monster).
The ML 59 is a dream - light ageing is till pretty heavy and I really wouldn't want any more but I can' fault the kick back it gives me. Looks gorgeous, weight is spot on for me (8.8lb) and the neck just a shade less than my standard 50, les Paul special (original series) and the 335 but not slim at all ... pretty well spot on ... again ... for me.
It's all subjective but I was pleasantly surprised (converted) - it definitely feels right, and tells me don't knock it til you try it ... but hey, what do I know?
J :)

Attachments

• 20220904_192702.jpg
    20220904_192702.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Sct13

Reaction score
Nice collection....you whet my appetite for yet another Les Paul.....(shit) I just broke in a new tractor....SO my 2 cents is ....its Impossible to predict the way nitro will check ....after nitro formulation ...its all up the wood density / thickness of the woods ...I say woods because its glued to the mahogany .....Its like predicting how glass will break when you drop it.....sorta....

I'm down to only Three Custom Shop Lesters and some others high end peices of wood....Time to move something ? hmmm

BTW I still use a 2014 Aged MTM as #1 band instrument ....it taking a good beating like a good little brat ....gentle whips of course

PauloQS

Reaction score
Sorry to keep the thread going, but I’m curious about the “broken in” neck feel and the rolled fretboard edges. Is it truly noticeable? Would it feel significantly different for a 3+ years old R9 that was played regularly?

amorrow

Reaction score
Sorry to keep the thread going, but I’m curious about the “broken in” neck feel and the rolled fretboard edges. Is it truly noticeable? Would it feel significantly different for a 3+ years old R9 that was played regularly?
Depends on the guitar as there’s plenty of variation even among MLs. I had a heavy aged ‘54 that had bonding rolled similarly to most Historics I’ve played, maybe even felt a bit sharper/less rolled than typical ‘15 True Historics which I’ve found to be rolled a bit more than most Rs prior to and since. My ‘59 heavy aged ML is rolled significantly more though. This photo shows it pretty well.

1663618545121.jpeg

Latest Threads